“Lunch time in the Big Apple”
Review of Chai

Chai
Ranked #1,156 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Durban
“Lunch time in the Big Apple”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Excellent noodle soup, with an extra side of rice. Brilliant stuff. The food was tasty and good value. We left there satisfied and a little stuffed for further exploring. Tasted just like Hong Kong. Awesome.

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Uber Delicious!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Dined here solo while in town for some business. As others have noted, it is a small place and tables almost make it feel like you're sitting family style. Whatever, it's all forgotten once you take a bite. I dined on the chicken satay and Pad Thai with shrimp. Both were delicious. I knew the peanut sauce with the Satay would be good but the surprise was the cucumber relish that also came with it. Wow, yum! Chicken Satay is at times kind of dry at most restaurants so I was reluctant to order but just felt it would be good. It came out super fresh and hot. Cooked perfect. The Shrimp Pad Thai was done perfect. I opted to add 3 extra shrimp ($1 each) and would suggest the same to you as the amount of noodles warrants it. The sauce on the noodles was the perfect balance of flavors and every bite was enjoyable.

Service was spot on as well. The small size certainly makes it easier for them. The place has a real family owned feel. Like you're eating in their house. I enjoyed it.

If I had to nit pick... If you have a large party (6+) I would call them them in advance as their seating arrangement heavily favors parties of 2. They can easily push tables together but most parties are 2 and spaced such that only seating for 2 people at a time is open (You'd have to ask people to move to get tables together). Having a printed beer/drink menu would be nice as well. The place appeared clean but there is some neglect on the decorative wood covering the walls. I noticed dust bunnies starting to collect in various places. The place could use a full top to bottom wipe down with some damp cloths. It's not bad and CERTAINLY not a reason I wouldn't return. Just some tips in case the owner happens to read this.

All in all this was an amazing meal. I love finding places like this so thank you to the previous TA reviewers! I will be back next month when I am here again!

Almost forgot to mention --> Appetizer, meal, and two beers only $36 including tip in the heart of NYC. Are you kidding me? Great deal.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jason W
“You must eat here!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

This is the kind of place that if I didn't read the reviews first, I would never stop there. Walking on the streets with a thousand options, I would choose a bigger place. But, believe me, I dont regret. Food was very good. They indicate on the Menu what is spicy/hot or what is not. I can't take too much spicy, then I ordered Duck. For appetizer I recommend the crab cake. Average price with drink was 22,00 dollars

New York City, New York
“Creative, beautiful and tasty”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Hole in the wall restaurant that you would not stop at, unless you read the reviews or were really seeking thai. Its a tiny place so don't go expecting to linger or to have private conversations. But if you want a good meal with good service, this is the place. The snapper was excellent and every meal I saw was photo ready!

• Visited April 2014
“What a find!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Had lots of appetizers. Great prices but WOW. Flavors over the top. Friendly. Clean. Highly recommend. Curry puffs, corn fritters, crispy duck spring rolls, and these outrageous little peanut dimsum. Yum!!