“Comfortable Accommodations”

The Townhouse Inn of Chelsea
Ranked #14 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
“Comfortable Accommodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

The Inn on 23rd Street was a comfortable B&B. I visited New York with my 9 year old daughter to attend my nephew's wedding. Our room was cozy and the 2nd floor library had good amenties. My daughter was able to use the computer to play Nick games. The keyboard was a little sticky, though. 23rd Street is a very busy street. While our room was in the back, some of our windows faced the side of the building. The windows on the side of the building faced the alley between the Church and the Inn. The Church is used as a homeless shelter. While we did not hear the noise from the traffic on 23rd Street, we did hear the "residents" of the homeless shelter throughout the night in the alley. The people from the homeless shelter would congregate outside the Inn. On the other side of the Inn is the Services for the Blind. The phone system did not work well. There was no message light, so I had to keep checking to see if I had any messages. My husband tried to call me in the evening when we first arrived. There is no one at the front desk after 9:00 p.m., so my husband wasn't able to ask for my room number to contact me. The location of the Inn is convenient to subways and buses, but it is certainly not the upper West Side or East Side. The Inn may not suit the needs of every traveller, but the Inn's family-owned hospitality was evident throughout our stay.

• Stayed October 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

I stayed here over the summer and absolutely loved this charming inn. It was so surprising to find a country inn in the middle of Manhattan. It is a small place (maybe 10-15 rooms) and the owner was very friendly. It's in a neighborhood called Chelsea, which is very trendy these days. There are tons of good restaurants all around this inn. I can't wait to go back!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Honolulu, HI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

I booked a 5 night stay at the Inn on 23rd in late September based on reviews here. What a joy and your reviews were right on! I stayed in the 50's room to take advantage of the murphy bed. The room was large, roomy and very comfortable. The attention to detail was impressive from the DSL line to full access to the "library", tea, coffee, and snacks 24x7.

The decor was impressive and the staff wonderful. I took advantage of their free museum passes and based on a tip on this site stocked up on yummy food across the street at the Garden of Eden grocery store. Another cool find was the vintage clothing store right across the street. We had dinner one night at the Cafeteria - within walking distance.

I felt safe in the neighborhood despite the fact that there is a church next door that attracts and cares for a few homeless people. Not a problem. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank Leslie808
Middletown, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2004

Who would have thought you could get a HUGE room in a gorgeous B&B for under $250 a night? My husband and I have stayed at several NYC hotels, with their outrageous prices for tiny little cubbyholes and snooty desk clerks. We will never go back to them now that we've found this little Chelsea gem. Not only did our room accommodate a king-size bed with bed tables on each side, but we had a large sitting area AND free high-speed internet access. Annette, the innkeeper, and her staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and we fell in love with Dorothy the cat. I definitely recommend this B&B for your New York stay - just as long as there's still room for us!

• Stayed August 2004
3 Thank vraiblonde
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2004

This family, Texans by the way, really hump it to make your stay delightful. In addition to the perks listed in other reviews, they are member of several of the big NYC museums and give you their pass so you can go free. It a comfortable, homey place with various amenities,ie. two refrigerator drawers full of cheese for snacking. There is lots of original art on the walls, Annette at one time was an art dealer, with about a dozen Alex Katz lithographs. The place is nicely located in Chelsea with several very good restaurants in easy walking distance( try the Red Cat), and well situated between two uptown subway lines. I will stay there again.

4 Thank Joe W
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2004

We stayed in the Skylight Room on the Fifth floor. Very nice. A little musty. We were told it hadn't been used in a while. But the a/c took care of that. The switch for the skylight is behind the window curtain. Be sure to turn on the direct tv box, otherwise you won't get the many, many channels they tell you about in the book. We only stayed one night, but it was well worth the money. Breakfast was great. Bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, dry cereals, coffee, tea, and hot cocoa. Highly recommend it for a different take on staying in NYC.

• Stayed June 2004
5 Thank Melomike
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2004

We loved the Inn on 23rd Street. It was so charming, one of the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in. The location was great -- less than a five minute walk to all the Chelsea galleries. The staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't expect the added bonus of musuem passes and free long distance calls. The breakfast was so relaxing. Even though we recommend this B&B to everyone, we don't want it to get too popular because we plan to stay there every time we visit New York.

• Stayed May 2004