“Charm Place”

Ranked #17 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Bogota, Colombia
“Charm Place”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My daughter and I, spent 3 weeks, first, in The Rear Library Suite and then in the Studio. We are really grateful for our lovely stay at this beautiful B&B. The staff was so helpful and nice with us. The location is perfect!! We don’t hesitate to recommend 1871 House to our family and friends.

Room Tip: Rear Rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Lettyca2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have just returned from another amazing stay at 1871 House. I continue to be impressed with every aspect of my experience here - from the location to the rooms to the staff and everything in between. This trip was another exceptional experience that made me feel like I had my own personal place on the Upper East Side.

I tried a new room this time - the Madison Suite. It is the most recently upgraded room and it was extraordinary. Very spacious and comfortable. Well-outfitted and top notch, from the kitchen to the bathroom to the bed. I really felt detached from the hustle and bustle of NYC while still being in right in the middle of it. This room is slightly more updated than the more antiquated other rooms throughout the house - and the charm of this room is slightly more luxurious than some of the other rooms. That said, I like both - charm AND luxurious - and I wouldn't hesitate to book ANY room in this treasure of a "hotel."

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the staff. On this trip, my primary interaction was with David. He was responsive, professional and a delight to deal with. The staff is not intrusive or over-bearing, but always there to respond or answer questions. I also had the pleasure of running into Lia and Warren on this trip, my first interaction with the owners. They were so pleasant and grateful for my patronage. Could not have been more delightful. I was thrilled to finally meet them and thank them for welcoming me into their home.

I have said this before - but this place really feels like a home-away-from-home for me. With frequent trips to NYC, it's nice to have a special place that provides a very different city experience. I highly, highly, highly recommend this place to anyone looking for something very unique and special in the Big Apple.

Room Tip: All rooms have charm - and very different charm. I have stayed in almost all of them and every one...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Craig W
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My family spent 6 nights in the Lexington Suite in June, and it suited us very well. We were looking for a taste of old New York and we found it in this 4 story 100+ year old walk-up on the (lower) upper east side. Quiet and full of character, in a wonderful and centrally located neighborhood. Beds were fabulous. Water was hot. AC worked very well. However stairs are a challenge for anyone over 40 or with disabilities; especially with luggage. Kitchen is small. TV is small and channels were limited. Not the place for late night parties, however a quiet refuge following bustling adventures in the city. Perfect in it's imperfections. Its not for everyone, but I would not hesitate to stay here again. Thanks and best wishes to Sarah and Logan for their help and hospitality!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Joemevis1
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay in the Madison Suite at 1871 House. It was such a treat to have what felt like our own little Upper East Side apartment. The decor and furnishings were quaint, the space was roomy, and the location was perfect, tucked away from the hustle/bustle but close to everything: several corner groceries, nice restaurants and wonderful shopping. I would definitely like to stay at 1871 House again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CES3000
Brinkley, Arkansas
Reviewed May 7, 2014

So very sorry for the delay in my review but I am very happy to say our experience was the most amazing of all my trips to the NYC thus far. My husband and I celebrated lots of milestones! My 40th birthday, New Year's Eve and our 15th wedding anniversary! We were part of the lucky thousands that got snowed in on the day we were to leave and the staff here at the 1871 House treated us with sympathy and respect, which lead to them graciously letting us make a spur of the moment reservation as of THAT night plus additional! Upon our arrival on the first day, we were eager travelers and arrived sooner than the check-in time but they safely stowed our luggage which allowed us to spend a slow paced "getting to know the neighborhood" walk. We booked the Mission Suite (and anxiously awaited this experience for nearly a year...the staff is so gracious to answer the plethora of emails I sent with questions or concerns anytime one came to mind for me!) and it was exactly as the photos display, it was quiet (it's below street level) the temperature was stable - meaning we were neither too hot or too cold at any time. Our plumbing was top rate - hot water every shower, which I've read in previous reviews there were issues so I want to express that we had no trouble what-so-ever with being comfortable!

The neighborhood is wonderful and never did we feel unsafe, plus the food options are numerous! We enjoyed our two rooms so much that we actually got take out many of those nights and just stayed in to enjoy the house! It is so "home" and I will never stay anywhere else from here on out when I come to New York! I want to say we got the Front Library Suite when we had to book extra nights due to cancelled flights, I was so frantic about flights that I didn't even pay much attention to the name! it overlooks the street out front of the house and was very comfortable and roomy for the two of us! Lots of tv to watch when you're snowed in and tired from treking through snow all day...plus great food across the street, around the corner, all over the surrounding blocks, the choices are endless! I can't praise this wonderful place enough and again, I'm sorry for taking so long to review it! We will only stay at 1871 House from now on! Thank you to all the staff for every bit of your kindness shown to us!

Matthew and Laura Meacham - Arkansas

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Laura,

We're overwhelmed by your gracious comments! Thank You! We're exceedingly happy that your trip was so memorable and we're glad that we could be a part of it. The staff appreciates your kind words and we feel honored that you consider 1871 House your "home" in the city.

We look forward to seeing you many more times in the future. Thanks again!
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at the 1871 house on a cold, quiet Sunday evening in late March. After coming out of the cold into the warmly lit foyer, we climbed the stairs to the rear library. We had fun looking through books (a Beatles collection, and another on the photography of Annie Liebowitz). Much better than staying in a Holiday Inn watching basic cable. Room was beautifully decorated--a charming relic of old New York.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew J
Bethel, Maine
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Loved the 1871 House! It's in a great location on a beautiful residential street with easy access to shops and good restaurants (try the French bistro down the street). The service was great and the room I stayed in was spacious yet cozy. Can't wait to go back in the spring!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business