“Best Place to Stay in New York City!!!”
Review of 1871 House

1871 House
Ranked #15 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2007

This has to be the best place I have ever stayed in. I spent 5 days and 4 nights in New York City with my 68 year old mother ( I am 43). We wanted a place with charm, a place that was safe, convenient, comfortable, roomy and relaxing. 1871 House exceeded our expectations. We had excellent communication with the property prior to our arrival. We arrived several hours prior to check-in, expecting to leave our bags and sight-see. Our room was ready, and we were allowed to take our bags up. Leon, the on-site manager, gave us easy directions to our destination. We were close to subway stops and tons of cabs. This property is between Lexington and Park Avenues. It is so convenient to everything!! The bed was glorious!! I was a little nervous about having enough room sharing with my Mom, but the bed was quite large enough (even for two fluffy gals!) and had the most comfortable pillows. Our suite boasted a full size couch, a small bistro table and chairs, a kitchenette hidden behind doors, a full sized fireplace, floor to ceiling windows, a closet, a bathroom bigger than most New York hotel rooms and two dressers. We felt like we were cheating the owners!! For such luxurious accomodations, the room was quite reasonable. The owner has also prepared quite an extensive list of nearby restaurants, grocery stores ( a small grocery/convenience store is right on the corner!!) wine shops and so much more. These people know their city, and are more than willing to share their knowledge. I found the staff friendly, eager to meet needs, but also non-intrusive - the best of all worlds. You can request a breakfast basket, but why would you?? A darling French cafe is on one corner (try their brie and tomato omelet) and a diner on another. We were frankly relieved we didn't have to feel obligated to partake in a planned breakfast - we were free to choose what we wanted to eat, and when to eat it. We left about 5 pm the first day to go to the Met Opera. We did not return until well after midnight. We felt completely safe returning at that hour. I have traveled extensively. I have stayed in places that claim to be 5 star, and luxurious, but 1871 House tops them all hands down. This is one place I will look forward to returning to time and again!!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mamanurse

Reviewed October 29, 2007

Just got back from a week in New York - and we stayed at the 1871 House on 62nd street. From reading the reviews, this place seems to generate really mixed responses. We had a great time!

Overall, a great place to stay. We stayed in 'the Parlour' - large room with bed, sofa, chairs, tv, small bistro table and chairs (ideal for breakfast), built-in kitchenette (sink, toaster/oven/grill thing, microwave, fridge plus crockery and cutlery) and a bathroom with a bath, plus shower.

The manager team were really helpful - we arrived on Saturday after hours. The team had organised a limo from JFK - which was easy to deal with; the instructions for getting into the house were fine and straight forward. We had ordered a breakfast package - which was all there - and I requested that they buy some flowers for the room for my wife's birthday - which they duly did (although this was a special request). All week the staff were helpul, if needed, but otherwise unobtrusive.

The rooms were very clean, trash emptied daily (recycling instructions exhaustive but easy to follow). Only slight drawback was that the room had blinds on the windows, not curtains and a very bright street light shines through when lying in bed. That said, sure this would not be an issue in rooms at the back of the house - our room did overlook the street.

Would recommend here to anyone who wants great location(just off Lexington and 62nd and really close to 2 different subway stops); great rates (especially if you can take advantage of the 'bungalow exemption' on one of the taxes - which we could); large rooms (much bigger than anything for the same price that you'd get in mid-town / theatre district, in my experience); individual style and a certain amount of personal charm (almost like having own studio apartment and do not get that in a 'cookie cutter' hotel room).

Definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2007

Just returned from a three day stay at the 1871 house where I went to celebrate a 'big birthday!', all I can say is wow and awesome, this property completely exceeded all my expectations and although the place looks stunning on the website it is even more so in reality. My friends and I stayed in the beautiful and peaceful Lexington Suite with it's impeccable and grand furnishings we were all impressed with it's splendour. Beautifully kept and serviced, there is great attention to detail in the surroundings right down to the flannels in the bathroom with Halloween motifs on. The staff at the 1871 are especially welcoming and helpful (especially Leon, did not meet John but he very kindly went up 4 flights of stairs to switch off my hair straighteners when I had left them on!) and go out of their way to assist in any way they can. I would definitely recommend this accommodation and will without a doubt stay here again on my next trip to NYC. It is also a fabulous location for sightseeing and there are some great bars and restaurants in the immediate area.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I recently went to NY with my two graduate children ( one college, the other high school ) as a gift to them for their achievement. We stayed two weeks and I thought it would be fun to stay in two locations to feel out the city better and booked the 1871 house the second week of our fantastic trip. I was thrilled when we finally landed there and wished that the entire trip had been spent in this adorable and quaint brownstone. I felt like a real New Yorker with my front door key and loved the charm and elegance of my personal slice of heaven the big apple. This garden room was full of the perfect old world charm that I would expect from a house built from the 19th century. Being a bit of a decorating buff I totally appreciated the care that went into the decor of my room Antiques and lovely oriental rugs made the room feel like a soft oasis from the bombastic storm outside that kept us going from morning to night. And the beautiful deck adorned with pots of flowers outside just beckoned us to truly stop and smell the flowers in a city that doesn't quit. Outside on the street in the neighborhood we found a quaint quiet vibe that really belongs to neighborhoods where the tourists don't pound the pavement. Instead, we really got a taste of where the locals live and imagined life there in the upper east side. Not a bad day dream! We loved it there and will go back with the intention that we have now found a new home away from home that speaks to us clearly as the perfect balance for enjoying every minute in this miraculous city.

1  Thank zumacat
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I had a wonderful stay at the 1871 House! Having stayed in other hotels on the Upper East Side which were more expensive and very cramped, my jaw dropped at how charming and spacious the room was.

Although the office was closed when I arrived, I found their self-check in instructions easy to follow, and was greeted warmly by the staff the next day. The staff was friendly, but they didn't impose themselves on me, as I have experienced at other b&bs.

The location was incredible! It was only 3 blocks away from Central Park, close to 2 subway stations, and near lots of excellent restaurants and shopping.

I lived in New York for several years, and perhaps my favorite thing about the 1871 House was that it felt less like staying in a cold and touristy hotel, and more like I was using a friend's really fabulous apartment. I haven't felt so much like a New Yorker since I moved away.

I travel to New York yearly, and will continue to stay at the 1871 House!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank amyva
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Simply a jewel in nyc. The B&B is modestly priced (much better value than a typical hotel) and in a terrific location. Quiet, comfortable, and immaculate. Our room was designed in classic European fashion and gives the visitor the impression of being an aristocrat in Louis XIV's court. The manager Leon was very friendly and I would highly recommend this to anyone staying in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank alxplorer
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I am shocked and saddened to see the below review of the 1871 House. I stayed there in April and while consulting TripAdvisor today for a future trip, I came to see the latest review which prompted me to finally write my own, after all these months. I had an absolutely lovely stay - I didn't know places like this existed in the city! What impressed me most was the space and comfort of the rooms. Between the high ceilings and huge windows, not to mention a view of the beautiful gardens in the back - I felt like I was in a completely different country - let alone New York City. My suite was spotless, with all the comforts of a hotel - shampoo, conditioner, soap, cozy large towels and very comfortable beds. I loved the location - it is so nice in such an overwhelming city to be staying in a real neighborhood. I agree, Leon is the best! He was perfect for any advice about the City, or for just a chat about my how my stay was going. The management gave me ample notice about the 4 flights of steps I would need to climb to my room and therefore I was neither surprised nor upset by this. I was initially thrown off by the creaky floors - only because I was worried about disturbing those below me, but upon running into my "neighbors" in the hall I was assured that they hadn't heard one step I had made. As far as my interaction with the owners - I didn't personally come into contact with them, but I would say cut them some slack! I'm sure like most New York City residents they are busy and stressed out - and who knows - maybe she was having a bad day!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo