“Italian Food to Die For!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scarpetta

Scarpetta
Reserve with OpenTable
Scarpetta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 9th Avenue
Transit: A, C, E & L trains to 8th Avenue/14th Street.
Description: Scarpetta is LDV Hospitality's signature restaurant concept that first launched in New York's Meatpacking District. The Italian expression, "fare la scarpetta," describes the gesture of taking the little boot-shaped piece of bread to soak up the remaining sauce left in the pot of one's home kitchen. In 2008, Scarpetta received a James Beard nomination for 'Best New Restaurant in America' as well as a coveted three-star review from the New York Times.
New York City, New York
“Italian Food to Die For!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was the last stop on our Tour De Celebrity Chef Restaurants and it was the best, yet... We have seen Chef Scott rag on Chopped contestants over and over again for their pasta and other Italian dishes, so we had high expectations about his own food.

The restaurant is very inconspicuous and there is no real sign on the street front. There is a small plaque, but I would save up and purchase a little more signage :) With that said, the restaurant was packed at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday 1-6-2013 when we dined. I guess maybe they don't need a better sign after all...

To keep this short, the wait staff was impeccable. Absolutely professional, courteous, helpful and friendly. I cannot make any suggestions as to improve service and this staff was the best in any restaurant we dined at in the city on this trip and perhaps anywhere.

The decor is nondescript and the lighting is dark, but that was not a big deal for us.

The bread basket has some wonderful surprises... There is a bread with warm meats that is to die for... We greedily asked for more and were pleasantly rewarded with another basket!

My wife and I shared the Seared Diver Scallops and they were prepared perfectly. Awesome. We also shared the Creamy Polenta, which I understand is a signature dish of Chef Scott. Wow, absolutely incredible. A six or more star dish in and of itself (on a scale of one to five stars!).

My wife ordered the bow tie pasta with squid ink on the recommendation of the waiter. I had the spaghetti. Half way through our dinner, we switched entrees because we were each interested in what the other had ordered. We each agreed that both dishes were delicious with the squid ink being the more exotic and better of the two. I would gladly order either one again.

For desert, my wife ordered the coconut Panna Cotta which blew both of us away. It was truly the best culinary surprise we have had in a very long time. Thank you for that... I ordered the Amadei Chocolate Cake and it was good all on its own. I especially liked the salted caramel gelato.

At this point, you can probably guess that we are big fans of Scarpetta as are, apparently, many other people. Moreover, I totally respect Chef Scott's authority and rights to rag on substandard pasta. Chefs of Chopped rise up and be inspired. We were.

Thanks for a memorable meal. Dinner with no drinks was around $160.00.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank DKNY D

• Turkish first
Rochester, New York
“Amazing Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We loved our food and service, but the hostess was horrible. She was rude to the party before us and to us when we checked in. Definitely set the tone for the night. She needs to go!

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“Rank: A-. Favorite Spaghetti; Underrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've eaten at all the great pasta places in NY (Babbo, Convivio - before it closed, Dell Anima, Del Posto, Maialino, Osteria Morini, Otto Enoteca, etc.) and Scarpetta is vastly underrated. All of the other restaurants are great as well, but other places can be a hassle when trying to make a reservation (e.g. Babbo). Ordering a la carte, you may miss some of the more subtle plates - thus I would recommend the tasting menu. The crispy fritto misto (great), cavatelli, spaghetti (tomato & basil, otherwise known as pomodoro, I believe, and one of the best in the city), duck & foie gras ravioli, squid ink pasta (amazing) are all fantastic. It's amazing how simple the spaghetti is, and yet, the sauce flavors are exquistely sublime in your mouth. I would recommend getting a corner booth for seating for a more romantic experience as sitting in the middle of the room or a middle booth seat can be somewhat annoying with conversations going all around you.

• Visited February 2012
New York City, New York
“wonderful restaurant and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

first let me compliment John for his attentivemess thoughout our meal. fabulous energy and he held a vast knowledge of the menu. the food was exquisite including an unbelievable bread basket. we had the short ribs pasta which were light and delectable. the cod with fennel was also amazing. highlu recommended and will definitely go back. quite busy for a monday night as well. i can see why patrons go there.

New York, NY
“Delicious Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went here on my 30th birthday. Was a very special meal. I had heard great things about Scarpetta for years, but never made it down there. We sat at the bar for a drink and were seated right on time for our reservation. The service was attentive...a bit too much though.
The food was delicious. I can't deny that. Was it incredible? The best-ever? Mind-blowing? No. But it was a solid special-occasion spot.
A big plus is the separate vegetarian menu. That added a bunch of points right there.

• Visited December 2012