“Couldn't ask for more...”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
Ranked #152 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Couldn't ask for more...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I love NYC and when returning after a few years I wanted to ensure I was staying in the right place. I wanted something more than a big chain, The Strand was definitely the right choice.
The location is great, it's about 2 blocks to Macy's and in between 5th-6th Avenue. Several metro stops nearby too. The staff were great, a special thanks to Peter at the front desk who made our stay incredible! We initially asked for a room on a higher floor but nothing was available on the day we checked in, however, when I approached him a couple of days later, he ensured we were moved into the best room in the house, believe me, it was the best room. This is what you call service and this is what will bring back returning customers. The rooms have a great view and all the necessities you may need. The bar is fantastic too, overlooks the Empire state with a good selection of cocktails. Would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting NY. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Always asks for a room with a view of the Empire. It's visible from floors 7+.
1 Thank Kiran_Sahota86
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are seriously dedicated to following your counsel to keep up our good work. We do everything possible to make each guest’s stay the very best it can be, and so I thank sincerely for your generous comments. Peter will be particularly pleased that his care and attention helped to make your stay special. Our whole team looks forward to making your next stay with us just as memorable as this one.

John Loizos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Hungarian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable room, good location and Reception staff were extremely professional, efficient and friendly.
The only drawback with our room concerned the plumbing. We stayed for a week and had to report the toilet everyday bar one as not flushing properly.
Quality of the food is excellent but serving staff ranged from friendly and efficient to dismissive and forgetful, so a bit hit and miss.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit with us. We were pleased that our reception and concierge exceeded your expectations, but disappointed that you encountered plumbing challenges and service lapses in our restaurant. We are currently using a leading toilet manufacture (Toto) and are in the process of examining why you had this issue. As for the restaurant service, our management team has already addressed this to prevent a future reoccurrence.

Again many thanks for your post and hope you will contact me directly in the future to make up for your these short comings. I can be reached directly at jloizos@thestrandnyc.com.

Marlborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

What an amazing experience I cannot say how thrilled we where with our stay at the strand. On arrival we where located our room on the 7th floor I asked if we could go higher up as heard we would not hear the traffic so much and also would like a view of the Empire State Building. We where given room 1906 what a lovely room very spacious and incredible views lovely wide sliding doors onto small balcony. Very clean hotel staff very helpfull ate in restaurant one night very good thank you for making our wonderful stay in New York relaxing and fun.

1 Thank SBCMarlborough
Dear Guest,

Your terrific review has made my day, and I am thrilled to know that we helped to make your New York visit everything you’d hoped it would be. Now that spring is here, I’m glad that you opened the sliding doors to take in the amazing views from your balcony.

northen ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel is within easy walking distant of Times Square, broadway and of course Empire State Building which it's roof top bar has a fantastic view off! The hotel itself is modern, clean and our room was a good size. The staff was very helpful, nice and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your lovely review. It was our pleasure to help make your visit to New York a memorable one, and please do make us your home away from home when you return. Your photos from our rooftop bar must have made the people at home very envious!

Central MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when we were in NY visiting our daughter. The hotel is just a perfect location to Times Square and Broadway. We showed up early for our room at 12:45 PM and had no problem checking when we arrived. The hotel is clean and comfortable. Wifi is included, something that isn't a gimme at most hotels in Manhattan. Parking by valet was simple and orderly and only cost $45 additional. The rooftop lounge is also a great place to hang out with fantastic views of the Empire State Building.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for sharing all the things that pleased you at The Strand, including the complimentary WiFi and the smooth parking. I’m glad you enjoyed our rooftop lounge…shhh, don’t tell anyone, but it is now completely open to the sky. It feels like you can almost touch the Empire State Building. I look forward to welcoming you again, and I invite you to call me directly for the guaranteed best rates.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is my 2nd time staying at the Strand and I love the convenience and the neighborhood. The rooms are small (as NY rooms are) but are beautifully appointed. Love the giant windows.

However, both times I've stayed there has had many issues with the toilets. Every use would back up the toilet and we ended up going down to the lower lobby to use the restrooms there. The toilet would drain but would leave the paper in it, so in essence, it became a very expensive porta potty. It got to annoying to keep asking maintenance to come fix and unfixable problem so we just treked down 11 floors to the lobby each time we needed to use the bathroom. Pretty annoying.

Room Tip: higher floors for the view of the empire state builiding/away from elevators/ doors slam so it's...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

I was so glad to read that this was your second visit with us and that our service and comfortable rooms were just as you expected. I was however very disappointed that you encountered similar challenges on both of your visits and will certainly look into your concern.

I hope I will have the pleasure of meeting you on you next visit and welcome you to contact me directly to further assist you.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Went to NYC on a combined business/leisure trip with my wife. No problems at all checking in. Very accommodating front desk and bell man. We had booked a superior room but upon arrival we found the room too small having two large suitcases, carry ons and a ton of shopping to do. When we requested an upgrade, front desk made no sweat about it and set us up in a bigger room. The staff in the hotel was very friendly and accommodating but I should especially mention Peter at the front desk. The one and only concern we had was that the showers were impossible to operate (yes I know, silly) and that there was no tub in the bathroom. But hey - they did not advertise it as so neither, did they? Anyhow - we were very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

So happy that you enjoyed your recent visit and for taking the time to mention Peter one of our many stars here at the Strand. I apologize for the challenges in using our shower and will certainly look into improving this. We do have some rooms that have bathtubs and can be requested when making a reservation. Please feel free to contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to assist you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and hope to have you return soon.