“Another pleasant stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Another pleasant stay”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My first stay at this hotel was two years ago, and it's pleasing to see that very little has changed since the last stay, and if any changes have happened, they have simply served to improve the hotel.

The front desk and door staff are all genuinely friendly and approachable, and on check-in there is plenty of opportunity to ask any questions. The desk staff are genuinely happy to help and answer any queries at any time, so don't feel shy if there's anything on your mind bothering you that you need to raise. Door staff are always courteous on your entry and exit to the hotel, so do acknowledge them if you can – because they'll help you out when it comes to hailing a yellow cab when it's the middle of rush hour and you just so happen to need one so you can get to the airport! (Don't forget to tip the guy when he helps you out with getting the cab and then with your luggage.)

The room and bathroom were very clean and not too overly decorated. Bed is very clean and quite comfortable and enough control on the room's AC if you need it. Enough storage if you need it, and also a safe. Ironing board and iron in the cupboard if you need it, along with a golf umbrella to borrow during your stay if the weather is bad.

Handy buttons by your room door change two indicator lights on your room number to alert staff to two things: 1) "Privacy" will show up a red light, and that is your equivalent to the "Do Not Disturb" tag you would hang on the door handle. This is well-respected – only time I have had a knock on the door when this has been switched on is when I've been expecting room service. 2) "Make-Up Room" shows up a green light, and that's a green light for housekeeping. Make sure to put this on if/when leaving the room after housekeeping has done their rounds.

Room Service comes fairly quickly and they offer the same items on the menu that are also sold down in The Strand Bistro. Staff on the phone very courteous, as is the delivery. The food is consistently good, having also had part of the menu for dinner whilst seated at the bistro downstairs, so you needn't worry about quality. A simple menu, and fairly priced for hotel fare.

Breakfast offerings are charged to the room and is more than what you get and most hotels – none of the hovering around a buffet business. The breakfast menu is very good, with bottomless coffee (if you drink it) and a glass of orange juice when you sit down. Attentive waiting staff and the food quality is very good again.

What was also very pleasing to see is that after 2 years, some of the faces I remember from my last stay, so I am hoping that the staff are well looked after and appreciated enough that they feel they would like to stay and continue working at The Strand. The staff are friendly and warm without being too overbearing or "fake", and all are genuinely approachable. It gets a bit much when you're in the lift with a member of staff and they say, "Have a nice day/night," when you step out, but I appreciate that is probably part of their training and the hotel's standards of service, and I'm sure some other guests might expect that sort of approach.

Room Tip: If you want views, rooms either face out to W37th Street (and the Empire State if you are high enoug...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank version3point1
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Wow, we are all speechless by your superb review. We are particularly happy that you found our services as good if not better since your previous stay two years ago. We hope that you will not wait so long to visit us again and encourage you to call me directly as I would be honored to personally welcome you back.

Thank once again for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with our Trip Advisor readers, your thorough feedback is forever grateful!

Warm regards,
John Loizos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We read about the rooftop bar in the guide book we had and We were so pleased we went. It is a gorgeous little hide out with an amazing view. Staff were very friendly. Cosy, clean bar! It's a must to go to! We could of stayed all night but after two bottles of red wine we decided to go! Fab bar!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachlou1
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for visiting the Top of the Strand and for your excellent review. I’m so pleased that you were able to find us in your guide book, and that our staff, fabulous bar and cozy ambiance help create your memorable visit.

I hope you will visit with us again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on your next planned visit. I look forward to welcoming you both back.

Kind regards,
New Jersey
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I were interested in staying at a location that was convenient to Madison Square Garden. The Strand was a good choice. When we arrived they offered to valet our car but we opted to park on the street The lobby was nicely decorated and they had a restaurant with live entertainment next to the lobby. The rooftop lounge had a nice view and pleasant staff. The room was small which is typical for New York but it was nicely furnished and the bathroom was modern. The Strand is located on a block in the garment district that is not heavily populated at night but it is within walking distance to many tourist attractions.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zebaet
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

I was very pleased that our close proximity to Madison Square Garden made your commute easy and hope you were able to take advantage of all of the attractions of our great neighborhood. Thank you for pointing out the live music in our Bistro and the nice view you enjoyed from our unique year round roof top lounge overlooking the Empire State Building.

The staff will be delighted that you enjoyed our services and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Northern CA
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The Strand is an exceptional hotel and the people that work there...they make you feel like you are the most special guest in the world ! I travel each week for business and I must share, this hotel stands out...it is my most favorite. Great location and accommodations...yes. But it is the people that work there that make it a glorious experience each and every time ! From reservations, doorman, front desk, wait staff, housekeeping, roof top bar personel, maintenance people I happen to see in the elevator...they have THE BEST People and that makes the difference ! I plan to keep staying at The Strand every NYC Trip. I highly recommend this hotel...for business or pleasure in NYC...you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank blueeyes2008_8
Dear Guest,

Words simply cannot describe how grateful we are for the time you have taken to write such heartfelt sentiments about your recent visit to the Strand NYC. We echo you thoughts, and are truly appreciative of the efforts by our lovely ladies and gentlemen who dedicate themselves in creating memorable experiences for all of our guests.

We are also very pleased that you enjoyed our location and room accommodations. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Tipperary
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed here recently for 3 nights and was impressed. The staff were excellent and polite and friendly. The room was spotless and hthe bed was extremely comfortable. The mini bar however, was ridiculously overpriced, with a bottle of water costing $6.50! The bar was quite cosy and small, but only opened at 5pm and closed at 1pm. The rooftop terrace afforded some beautiful views, but unfortunately was closed to a private party on one of the nights that i was there. This then meant i had to go somewhere else for a drink, as the downstairs bar was also closed. Overall, though I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom O
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent visit, your feedback is very important to us. I as always was pleased to read that you enjoyed the service and that you were quite comfortable in our spotless rooms. I was however disappointed that you were not able to enjoy our year round roof top lounge on all of the nights you were with us as we occasionally have the roof lounge reserved but always do have the Bistro as a cocktail alternative.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly upon your return; I would certainly like to make for your roof top cocktail.

Many thanks,

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I surprised my husband for a birthday weekend celebration and found The Strand via Amtrak's website while booking our train tickets. After checking out reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to give it a try. When I called, I was quoted a rate $20 more than what I saw on line, but they were accommodating in honoring that lesser rate ($179 vs $199) w/o issue. I'd call this a "boutique hotel" with a cool (small) lobby, hip music playing (but not too loud), & from the moment we walked in to check out, we were greeted warmly by the staff who all seemed sincere in their efforts to make our stay pleasant. The rooms are reasonably sized for being in NYC and I felt the price was fair especially since we were in such a touristy area. The Strand is less than a 10 minute walk from Times Square and about 15 to Penn Station. There is a cool bar at the "Top of the Strand" with a fun vibe though it was so busy when we went up, there was no place to sit or stand so we left as we were heading out to dinner. Unfortunately, they closed Sat at 9 p.m. for a private party but I'd definitely wait next time to check it out. We would definitely stay here again given this first experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsLineaM
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you found us via Amtrak's website and that we were able to extend an amazing rate during our February promotion. It is truly a pleasure reading your wonderful review and extremely pleased that our location, facilities, comfort and service exceeded your expectations.

Please feel free to contact us directly in the future for the best available rate. Hope to have you back soon.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was a very happy customer. Everyone downstairs - doorman, reception, concierge - was very accommodating and friendly. If you are looking for a boutique hotel away from the hustle of the tourists spots, this is it! It is still in a super convenient location. Clean and well appointed. The best part: my pleasant surprise when I came back in the evening and my bed was turned down with chocolates! Next time I need a place in the city, it will be the Strand!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank amya90
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your super-nice review. Please count on us to make all your New York visits as enjoyable as this one was. In a world where turn-down service is becoming rare, it remains one of the many things we do at the Strand to show our guests how much we care about their comfort and wellbeing.

Hope to have you back again soon.

Warm regards,