“NYC Hoteling at it's (almost) Best”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
Ranked #165 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I love NYC, but having been there three times in the last twelve months on a mixture of work and leisure, I'm a little beyond seeing the sights, and just want to soak in the vibe of the place, and taste, if but for a moment, what it is like to be a native New Yorker.

The Strand Hotel is the perfect backdrop for that kind of experience. It's well located in the upper 30s between 5th and 6th. No -- let me put it clearly -- it's pretty much in the middle of where you want to be. Close enough to everything, but not in the heart of any one thing.

The rooms are relatively small -- but this is NYC -- but the beds are comfortable, and it's relatively quiet for a Manhattan hotel. In fact, other than the Sofitel, which is about double the rate, this is my (new) favourite place in Manhattan. For a bunch of reasons -- it's small -- we were just at Hilton Midtown, which was a cruise ship of a hotel, and moving here just felt right. The character is modern, the staff welcoming without being cloying, and it feels like one of those charming small hotels, which it certainly is, but without the folkiness.

In the end, it's all about the bed and the bathroom, and in each case it doesn't disappoint. One small tip -- the bathroom door has frosted glass on it, so it's pretty acoustically transparent. So keep the obvious in mind, but other than that -- I'd stay here again. And again. And again.

1  Thank StephenM465
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are so grateful that you have stayed with us three times over the last twelve months and for giving us a wonderful five star review. We are ecstatic that we have become your favorite NYC hotel and for sharing your comparison to other neighboring hotels. The staff will be delighted with your praises and humbled that much more that you have written your review as a senior contributor.

Please do not hesitate to personally contact me or any member of our team when reserving a room in the future as we want to ensure many more memorable experiences at the Strand!

Wishing you a joyous Holiday Season!

John Loizos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,366)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have just returned from a great 6-night break in NYC, our first visit. The hotel is in a great location, I really couldn't have wished for anywhere better. Just in between 5th and 6th avenues, Empire State, Times Square all within easy walking distance. In addition the subway is only a couple of blocks away. Even better was Penn Station was less than 10 minutes walk which offers the LIRR and the AirTrain to JFK in about 30 mins total travel time for less than $15!

The reception desk and door staff were all very friendly every time we came and went as were the downstairs bar staff. We didn't have the need to use the concierge so can't comment on the service. We only ate once at the hotel which was room service on our final night and the food was delicious. We used the rooftop bar a couple of times, service was friendly although a little slow in our opinion.

The rooms itself was fairly small but I understand that's the norm for New York, there was a lovely comfortable king size bed and chair and foot rest but that's about it. The wardrobe was pretty small for both of our belongings for 6 nights although there was plenty of drawer space. They could do with a couple of hooks somewhere for coats.

The prices of the minibar are quite high if you choose to use any if these items. The room didn't have any tea or coffee making facilities which I was disappointed about.

The bathroom was average sized with a lovely looking shower, the only problem was the lack of water pressure! I personally also prefer a shower head you can take off the wall to use.

In summary I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to explore the amazing city of New York!

Room Tip: The views of the Empire State Building are fantastic if you don't mind paying a little extra.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for your detailed six night stay at the Strand Hotel, NYC. We appreciate you mentioning our great location to key attractions and easy transportation that surrounds us. It’s great to read that you were pleased with the genuine service from our ladies and gentlemen and that you enjoyed our delicious Bistro food.

I see that you would have preferred a coffee set up in your room, and hope that on your next visit you will notify reception who will gladly arrange this for you. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and for your strong recommendation to our readers.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We went there because we wanted to treat ourselves with a good and central location. The hotel staff was lovely, helpful and pretty nice. For the last night out we went to the rooftop bar and up there, though the perfect scenary (wonderful view on the Empire State), we found the rudest staff in NY. The woman (S.) circled many times the "20% gratuity part" on the bill. She said so because she heard that we were foreigners and I guess she assumed we would forget it. But I guess that is was tip is about: being satisfied with the service... You can force people to leave money just because you circle things. I found it so rude and insulting. She did not do that to other customers. Fortunately the hotel staff knows better how to be subtle and nice.

2  Thank Mamelie58

Dear Guest,

I am sincerely sorry for what you encountered with our server and can assure you that we are looking into this incident. This matter will be taken very serious and be rest assured that the appropriate action will be taken to prevent any such future reoccurrence. I would appreciate a moment of your time to further understand this in its entirety.

I again apologize and wish management was made aware of this before you had departed as it appears you had what was otherwise a nice experience.

we hope you will give us the opportunity to speak to you further about your visit.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

My mum and I visited NYC for the first time (celebrating some big birthdays!) in November. We chose The Strand due to its location & good reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed.
We arrived to a wonderful welcome from the reception staff. Check in was quick and easy and we were delighted to be given a room upgrade.
We were on the 17th floor with the Empire State Building right outside our window. Room was spotless, comfy beds, turn down service with chocolates every night, macaroons left for us. Just lovely!!
The roof too bar was amazing, again the staff were absolutely lovely. Fantastic cocktails, yes a bit pricey but what a view!!!
Breakfast was a complementary continental, again lovely.
We requested tea/coffee facilities in our room which was no problem.
We ate in the restaurant one evening, lovely decor, fantastic service, food was ok not amazing but nice.
The location of the hotel is perfect too.
Go on stay there, you really won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank barrcharlie

Dear Guest

Happy belated Birthday! We are so glad that you and your mum enjoyed your visit and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope this will be one of many returns and appreciate your strong recommendation to our TripAdvisor readers.

Wishing you a happy New Year!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My first visit to NYC. I had looked at many hotels and settled on the STrand based on reviews and pics. The location is fabulous, couldn't be better. However when I arrived and got my room it was not what I had requested or expected. I was told this is all they had for me. It was probably the smallest room I have been in the past few years, and the bathroom very small and no room for toiletries but very clean and bed comfortable. Walls are very thin and I could hear the room next door. View was ... not great or as expected. By the third night I spoke with front desk concierge Matthew (different person) and things changed. He was extremely helpful, gave me a wonderful room, and every attention to detail was provided. A huge change - which could have been better at the beginning. The view was spectacular and even thought the bathroom was still small - in general accomodating. I was provided all services.

Housekeeping does an excellent job, special thanks to Eva and another gentleman who responded so promptly to my requests. The rooftop bar is very nice - a bit pricey but the view is incredible and service good. The bistro - has an excellent menu, chef, music, and very nice venue. Gym area is very small but adequate - it does the job. In all it was a good place to stay. The smaller rooms could use some improvement as customers should all have an excellent experience. Best things about this hotel are the people and staff. Recommend. It will be among my top considerations on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors and view of the empire state building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for selecting the Strand for your first NYC visit. I was pleased to read that Mathew our desk manager was able to share the different room categories that we offer, as it appears you may have been in a superior room which is the most economical of the categories. Eva, our hard working attendant will be happy to know that she as well was able to make a difference in your stay.

We are very glad we were able to earn your recommendation and are excited at the opportunity of welcoming you back

Wishing you and your family a Happy New year!

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for our first trip to New York. The hotel is excellently located with a short walk to Maddison square garden, time square, grand central station and the Empire State Building. The hotel is really clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. The roof terrace is a hidden gem with great views to be had. We couldn't fault this place - a great hotel in a great city.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your short and sweet Five Star Review! We are overjoyed that we were able to exceed your expectations and appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight for our anniversary. The hotel is beautiful & clean! We stayed in the premier room which was spacious & had an amazing view of the Empire State Building.
The bathroom was a good size, clean with nice amenities. Service was friendly and efficient.
Free WiFi & the perfect location. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony
1  Thank Sofia L

Dear Guest,

Happy belated Anniversary! We hope that you will consider the Strand Hotel for all of your special occasions and that you will always remember the amazing view of the iconic Empire State building from your window. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a review and look forward to welcoming you back soon.