“A Very Pleasant Stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Very Pleasant Stay!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I lived and worked in NYC many years ago and have returned frequently on business. But I've never stayed at the Strand nor was I even aware of it. A colleague and I were in the City on October 1 and 2 on business - she was a frequent guest there in a previous business life and recommended the Strand.

I was very, very impressed with this small hotel. The staff greated my colleague with smiles and open arms - and the same level of kindness and friendliness was given to me, too. The staff is professional, courteous and kind - not something you experience at every hotel in Manhattan. I expected a very small room - I suppose it was small compared to some but it was perfectly adequate for me. Comfortable bed, comfortable pillows, AC worked fine and the room (and entire hotel) was quite modern.

There was a minor glitch with the TV remote but that was taken care of in no more than 15 minutes.

I do suggest that the Strand prepare a simple instruction card for the shower control - it's not intuitive at all. I'm a very (very) frequent global traveler and I couldn't figure it out.

The roof-top bar with a view of the Empire State building is beautiful.

All in all, the Strand is a fine hotel and, when I return to NYC, I'll be staying there.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Empire State building - pretty special. A high floor might be less no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about what I hope is only the first of many stays at The Strand. I appreciate your suggestion that we provide instructions for the shower controls. As you pointed out, today’s high-style designs can be mystifying. I’m glad that our friendly staff and comfortable accommodations added up to a very pleasant stay, and I look forward to welcoming you often.

John Loizos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights for my husband's 40th birthday. Staff very friendly and helpful on arrival and throughout. We were given a great room (1705) with view of Empire State Building. Bed very comfy. Not a huge room but everything we needed-we were hardly in the room!! We walked to Penn Station in 5/10 minutes and took LIRR/air train to JFK - very handy. The restaurant was lovely and staff attentive-we ate breakfast here every morning and we miss it!!! The only reason I've not given the hotel 5 stars is that of our 4 nights there, the rooftop bar was only fully open on one night. This, while not a deal breaker, was a bit disappointing as was one of the main reasons I picked this hotel. However suffice to say I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel or return to it as the staff and general.atmosphere are spot on.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Happy belated Birthday! We are grateful for your wonderful review and for the time you have taken to share your experience with our tripadvisor travelers. We were pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful view from our Empire rooms, comfortable bedding, great location, and lovely restaurant. I understand you were not able to fully enjoy our rood top lounge during this visit and hope we can make it up to you on your next trip.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, jloizos@thestrandnyc.com

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and have just arrived home. I can recommend the Strand highly. The staff were friendly and helpful and the executive room was very spacious for a central New York hotel. We had a side room which overlooked tenements, which although not great to look out on, was very quiet with no street noise.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kenneth960
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest

We are all so grateful for your terrific 5 star review and pleased that you enjoyed the comfort of our spacious executive rooms. I was happy that you enjoyed our rood top and hope we can have you back again, our friendly staff awaits you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

By far the best NYC hotel any of us have stayed in (and we've probably been to about 10-12 between us). We were made to feel incredibly welcome, and as it was a joint birthday celebration the little extras like a higher room with an amazing view of the Empire State Building made the trip special. We couldn't have asked for anything more, everyone from the housekeepers to the bar staff and all the front desk team were lovely and always happy to help.

The rooftop bar had been the deciding factor in choosing The Strand and it didn't disappoint - although some of the seats were reserved for private functions we were always able to find a spot to relax and enjoy the view and great cocktails.

As for location, you're close to Times Square, Macy's , Penn Station (& Subway links) and of course the Empire State Building without being in a crazy environment. A nice deli and coffee shops in easy reach for a quick refreshment and the hotel bars were both welcoming.

Three of us shared a room with 2 double beds, the wardrobe just about held clothes for 3 ladies for a 5 day stay, but there was plenty of draw space so we didn't feel like we were on top of each other.

I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have the view of the Empire State (the higher the floor - the better the view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

With so many hotels to choose from, and the fact that you feel we are the “best of the bunch” when comparing us to so many others, makes us all so very proud.

We sincerely appreciate your high praises and for recommending us to others. I encourage you to contact me directly in the future for the best available rate and hope to meet you next time you stay at the Strand. .

Warmest regards,

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at The Strand for 5 night stay in September. We would highly recommend this hotel the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was was in a central location, the roof top bar was a great place to chill after a busy day sightseeing and it has an amazing view of the Empire State Building, we will be definitely returning to this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your 5 night stay at the Strand and for your glowing review. Your recommendation means the world to us and I hope I will personally have the pleasure of meeting you on your visit.

Warmest regards,

John Loizos.
Beckenham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The strand is a really useful hotel with nice rooms, a lovely bar and helpful staff.

Only complaint was that it was almost impossible to get to the rooftop bar as they constantly had it hired out for parties. To compensate they'd offer you a glass of wine, but just the 1 so don't get too excited!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pippa H
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for posting you excellent comments about our nice rooms, lovely bar and wonderful staff. I apologize for your disappointment with the unusual amount of private events in our lounge during your stay and can assure you that we are reviewing this moving forward. I sincerely hope you will contact me directly to personally apologize. I can be reached at jloizos@thestradnyc.com.

Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed one night for business and it was an excellent experience. Great service---friendly and unforced. Hotel is beautiful ... Location is quiet but extremely quirky and central to everything. It's my new go-to business hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Your comments about your experience at the Strand made my day, and I thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s satisfying to know that our team’s dedication to service, plus our central location, made your NYC business trip a pleasure. We look forward to being your New York home away from home, and hope to welcome you again soon.

Best,