“Great time”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
Ranked #168 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Similar to the other reviews here, my stay was terrific. Traveling with family of (4); Staff was very courteous, friendly and actively tried to accommodate us during stay. Concierge was always available for any info. Rooms were larger than expected, with beds impressively comfortable and large. Free Wi-Fi to boot. Very clean, boutique hotel. Our window view was incredible. Location was fantastic with centralized location. Well done!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Your report of a thoroughly satisfying stay at The Strand makes me feel both proud and humble. Thank you for taking the time to list all the features that delighted you and your family. I am particularly pleased to know that the rooms were larger than you expected. An indication of how much perception can vary from person to person. What really counts is that you had a great time, and we look forward to welcoming you again.

There are newer reviews for Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the beautiful hotel with my girlfriends for 3 days to celebrate a birthday. We were so impressed by the efforts made to acknowledge our celebration. As we got to our rooms we had a special complimentary strand cocktail that soon followed as a gesture for the birthday, and it didn't end there. We all got back to our rooms later that evening to find a bottle of wine and personalized note from the GM, really nice touch! We had a chance to dine in the bistro on one of the nights which had really great service and yummy food. We would end each night at the gorgeous cozy roof top lounge overlooking the empire state building for cocktails. The hotel was very clean, with great overall service and all the extra touches that made it wonderful, we can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to help make the birthday celebration and your entire New York visit totally memorable. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such gracious comments about your experience. Our whole team is looking forward to your return, so please come again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I traveled to New York often on business and was recommended to stay at the Strand by a colleague who works for the same company. We are typically urged to stay within the company’s arranged hotel programs but honestly have been tired of the chain experience. I tried the Strand for the first time and could not have been happier. I feel that the hotel has a genuine feeling they simply sets it above other hotels I’ve strayed at. Because of this, I think I have found a new hotel when in new york. I am a big believer that if I am given the great service I can deal with the little things that aren’t always so perfect. I highly recommend the Strand and thank my friend for the introduction.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your high praise of The Strand. I am so pleased to know that our team’s focus on making you feel welcome and comfortable was appreciated, and that you will make us your New York hotel of choice in the future. We look forward to your next visit, and thanks again for the hearty recommendation.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the reviews and the location and we were not disappointed. On W 37th Street, it's within easy walking distance of Times Square and the wonderful Keen's Steakhouse is one street over on 36th. If the ground floor bar is closed there is a German Beer Cellar up the street.

Our room whilst not huge it was perfectly adequate. The decor was pleasing and the king size bed and pillows were comfortable. We were next to the lift shaft, but the sound proofing was excellent and we heard no noise of any kind. The bathroom had a good sized walk-in shower, which I much prefer to the more common bath/shower and a full range of toiletries was provided. The air con was quiet and efficient and was much needed as NY was hot and humid. There were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, but I understand that this is usual in the US. The rooftop bar was crowded and loud, but everyone was having a good time and there were fabulous views of the Empire State Building.

We didn't use the restaurant for dinner, but the menu looked good and the prices seemed reasonable and I would try it if I stayed here again. We had the complimentary continental breakfast which was good and filling if a little dull. The staff were friendly and helpful and the concierge informative.

Room Tip: I would avoid the top floor as it may be noisy with the bar above
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review highlighting the many things that made your stay a pleasant one. When you come again, and I hope you will, please mention that you would like a coffee and tea set-up in your room and we will happily provide it. I apologize that you were not aware that this is available, but we will make sure your next visit is perfect in every way.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We've just got home from a 7 night stay at the strand hotel. Mum and daughter first time in NYC. We chose the strand over all the other hotels due to the good feedback on here about the hotel. The rooftop bar also swayed us into picking the strand in the end.

The guys on the front desk were lovely and helpful and provided the exact same New York service with a smile we received everywhere else in the city. However, the staff on the rooftop and in the bistro were extremely rude and ignorant. There was 3 occasions I stood waiting at the bar downstairs and was completely ignored by the bar staff to the point where I actually walked away.

We were also disappointed that every single time we went up to the top of the strand for a cocktail early evening there was a private function and we were told quite abruptly that we weren't allowed in. Considering we chose the hotel for this feature this was extremely dissapointing. If you are going to have private parties every night they should at least offer the guests some sort of compensation or free beverage downstairs or something.

Our last night the rooftop opened at 8.30pm (once again after a private function) we were tired and had to be up early but wanted to celebrate a great trip. So dot on 8.30pm we went up to the rooftop for a cocktail. The older waitress was stood at the bar so I politely asked her if they were now open to the public to which she shouted at me "move I'm working" and barged me out of the way I was in absolute shock at the way she spoke to me!!! Really put a downer on our last night.

So to conclude..... Strand hotel is nice, clean, great location but the bar staff really ruined it for
us.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank carlyccheer

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay and for commenting on our friendly reception desk. I was however extremely disappointed to read that a member of our team could possibly be rude to you. I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual high standards and will be taken very serous as we look into this matte. I would appreciate a minute of your time to discuss more of what you encountered and to again personally apologize. It is my hope that I can have you return for an appropriate Strand experience in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is perfectly placed for visiting some of the main attractions - The Empire State Building, Times Square, Broadway, Macys etc. It is also close to a subway station, so travelling to Brooklyn, Wall Street etc was straight forward. Our room was not very large and the wardrobe was very small, but for a few nights it was fine. We were lucky enough to have a view of The Empire State Building and the views from the roof terrace bar were amazing.

The staff were very courteous and helpful, particularly John and Jonathan.

If we visit New York again, we will definitely stay at The Strand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel and you will be able to marvel at the Empire State Building...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that everything was to your liking. It was our pleasure to have you and your family as guests, and are eager to welcome you back again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Strand is a beautiful hotel. It was my first time in New York and I was traveling alone, but the friendly, helpful staff made everything easier. Fantastic location - just a few blocks north of the Empire State Building! And right between 5th and 6th avenues. Air Conditioning was lovely and a must in August! Reasonable price for New York, especially for a room with a private bathroom. So lucky I found them on my first trip to the big apple!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that The Strand’s convenient location and courteous, helpful team made your first visit to New York City a success. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I hope you will choose The Strand whenever you visit to the Big Apple.