“Perfect hotel for a trip to New York”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
Ranked #164 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is perfectly placed for visiting some of the main attractions - The Empire State Building, Times Square, Broadway, Macys etc. It is also close to a subway station, so travelling to Brooklyn, Wall Street etc was straight forward. Our room was not very large and the wardrobe was very small, but for a few nights it was fine. We were lucky enough to have a view of The Empire State Building and the views from the roof terrace bar were amazing.

The staff were very courteous and helpful, particularly John and Jonathan.

If we visit New York again, we will definitely stay at The Strand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel and you will be able to marvel at the Empire State Building...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that everything was to your liking. It was our pleasure to have you and your family as guests, and are eager to welcome you back again.

John Loizos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,367)

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Strand is a beautiful hotel. It was my first time in New York and I was traveling alone, but the friendly, helpful staff made everything easier. Fantastic location - just a few blocks north of the Empire State Building! And right between 5th and 6th avenues. Air Conditioning was lovely and a must in August! Reasonable price for New York, especially for a room with a private bathroom. So lucky I found them on my first trip to the big apple!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that The Strand’s convenient location and courteous, helpful team made your first visit to New York City a success. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I hope you will choose The Strand whenever you visit to the Big Apple.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is situated in a great location in Midtown on 37th street between 5th and 6 avenues. It is a very easy walk to Macy's, Times Square, Grand Central Station, The Public Library and is also close to the subway line.

The hotel itself is very stylish and the rooms are very nice. The hotel has a great restaurant downstairs with a bar, as well as a AWESOME bar on the roof overlooking the Empire State Building! We found this hotel because when we were in NYC the year before, we went to the rooftop bar and figured we should stay there this time!

The doorman by the name of Carlos Mayorga was very helpful as well, always willing to lend a hand or think of places to eat at or visit, so I thought I'd give him a shout out! If he remembers us, we are from Australia and my girlfriend's mother gave him a book she was reading when we left hahaha!

I will definitely be staying here next time I am in NYC.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tissler

Dear Guest,

Thanks for writing about your stay at the Strand, and for recommending us to your friends in Australia and around the world. I’m glad you enjoyed both the Bistro and our rooftop lounge because, like you, we think they offer an exciting taste of experiences found only in New York City.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I traveled to NYC for the first time for a friend's wedding and could not have been more pleased. The staff (especially Peter) was very warm and attentive and the room was clean and comfortable. Very close to the busiest part of town, but quiet while in room. Had no trouble getting to any site in the city we were wanting to see from the hotel. The roof offers an unparalleled view of the Empire State Building. Would not hesitate to stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your excellent experience at The Strand, and for recognizing the great service you enjoyed. I’m glad the location was convenient for the activities you had planned, and that the Empire State Building view from your room added something special to your visit.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Overall, the Strand is a very attractive hotel. I enjoyed my stay. However, after leaving the hotel, I discovered within hours that I had left behind a packing cube with several dress shirts in it. I called the hotel to report it that very day. They indicated that they would investigate. I called several times to follow up. In the end, the shirts were nowhere to be found. The hotel refused to do anything about it - which is, no doubt, their legal right, but not very customer friendly. I will choose a different hotel in the future - and be more careful in repacking; if I leave something behind, I will likely never see it again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words; we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed that we were not able to find your shirts and apologize if we made you feel that nothing more could be done. We have a wide range of items that are often left behind and turned into our lost & found office and never had to question our current policies. I am so sorry that this ruined what appeared to be an otherwise enjoyable visit. I welcome your call to further discuss as we certainly would like to see you return.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first family trip to NY City. The Strand wasn't as close to the theatre district as we would have liked but the few extra blocks of walking were manageable. We got two rooms for our family of four at pretty close to the price of one room closer to Times Square. The hotel was clean, beds/linen comfortable. Desk clerks/concierge were always eager to assist but not always helpful. Room service (ie cleaning of the rooms) was actually forgotten one day (we were out all day). Nice TV and Wifi was free - rooftop bar a nice option. I would definitely stay here again but would be more inclined to stay somewhere else just for the experience/comparison.

Room Tip: Was nice to be able to open the windows! We were at the back which did not provide a view but was q...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for writing about your stay with us. I’m glad you enjoyed the rooftop bar, comfortable rooms, and complimentary WiFi. I was surprised to hear about the missed cleaning, and am looking into the cause. I hope you will make the Strand your first choice each time you visit New York.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel when they opened and it was fine. Stayed again 08/10 for one night. Rooms are small but comfortable and clean. Staff is friendly but not overly friendly. Hotel was sold out with tourists from all over the world. Good for families and couples.
Location is great for people who want to stay close to Times Sq. , 5th Avenue... That was not my priority.

Honestly, the reason I choose this hotel was because I found a good rate. I didn't check the rooftop bar and didn't eat there so I cannot speak to that.

One thing that bothered me was, check out is at 12PM, so why would cleaning service knock on my door at 10:45 am?
It might have been a mistake and she didn't know we were checking out but it was extremely annoying. You might ask why didn't I put "Do Not Disturb" sign? Simply because they don't have one.
Overall, I see no reason for going back except for the rates. It is not bad, but it is not great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Different guests have different measures for evaluating their hotel experiences, so I thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. It was good to hear that you have chosen the Strand more than once, and for mentioning our comfortable rooms and friendly staff.

Being this was your second visit I was surprised that you were not aware of our electronic Do Not Disturb device which signals a red light just outside your door entrance to ensure you are never disturbed, I hope we have the chance to show you this device in the near future. Thank you again and hope you enjoy the remainder of your summer!