“Nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ghent, Belgium
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here with our friends and enjoyed our stay. The staff is very professional and friendly, the hotel has a superb location, rooms are nice, modern and very quiet, not too big but this is NY! From the roof terrace you have a beautiful view of the empire state building. If you drink something there, bring your wallet! Breakfast was a bit disappointing but you're never hungry in New York. Next time I go to NY I will book here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. We are so glad that our modern rooms, “superb” location, great rooftop bar views and delightful staff were the perfect ingredients to an enjoyable stay. Please feel free to contact me directly in the future for the best rates available and for complimentary cocktails on our spectacular all year retractable roof top bar.

John N. Loizos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Hungarian first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was nice! I never expect much when using those unpublished/biding sites but found this gem of a property with one. I found the hotel staff to be completely pleasant from welcome to that last hailing of a cab. I found the rooms to be well appointed with comfortable beds and linens. Morning breakfast is "European". Convenient to all theaters on foot or in a cab/car.

Room Tip: My room was great and I wouldn't expect to find much difference between rooms or property locati...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your excellent comments, we are so pleased you found us and that we were able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for pointing out our great location and welcoming staff, I hope I will have the opportunity of greeting you in the near future.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Just returned from a weeks long trip with my wife and 2 kids, 17 & 9 staying at The Strand on W37 Street, between 5 & 6 Ave. First impressions, the staff, extremely friendly and welcoming; nothing was too much trouble. Every time we returned from our 'exhausting' walks of the city, they were there to open the door and welcome you back. This hotel was of boutique style, very clean and tastefully decorated.
Our room was wonderful, 17th floor and overlooking the Empire State Building, very clean and well presented , wonderful bathroom and the beds (we had a family room) were very comfortable.
On our arrival, there were macaroons and chocolates in our room (nice touch). There was a minibar in our room which we didn't use as this was expensive, nor did we dine here, again expense, but I assume the costs are typical of any hotel in New York. The hotel was in a quiet location so there was no noise on an evening when we were sleeping. Location was very good, Empire State Building 5 mins, Macy's 5 mins, Times Square 5-10 mins. Bryant Park which is very nice was 5 minutes away. The roof top bar is a must see, we didn't drink here as we had the kids with us (you had to be 21 to go up there), but we went when the bar was closed. The view from the bar was fantastic.
We would recommend anyone to visit this hotel.
To the manager and staff, many thanks for a fantastic stay in the Big Apple. Hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room overlooking the The Empire State Building. Its amazing laying in bed and being a...
    • 5 of 5 stars
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

How nice of you to take the time to write about your family’s enjoyable, week-long stay with us at The Strand. I appreciate your mentioning our well-appointed, quiet rooms with super-comfy beds and great bathrooms. I’m pleased and proud to hear that our attentive, helpful staff took excellent care of you, and that you enjoyed the fabulous Empire State Building view from your room.

When come again, as I hope you will, I will make special arrangements for your whole family to see the incredible views from our rooftop lounge. It would be my pleasure to have your children enjoy the rooftop during off hours, hope you will inform me in the future.

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is the best hotel for the money in NYC. The rooms are very clean, no noise and good location...We had a problem with flight cancellation in St Louis and Mavis(?) on the front desk was the very best in helping us out. Went way out of her way to help, the whole staff was GREAT..You may get a little cheaper price in NYC but, I will alway go back to the Strand as we visit our son about twice a year.....Vern, Scottsdale, Arizona

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, would try and get higher next time.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for declaring the Strand to be New York City’s best hotel for the money. Nothing could delight us more than your heartfelt praise for the service, the accommodations and the overall value we provide. I hope you will continue to make The Strand your home base in New York, and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. Please call or email me directly in the future for the best available rates

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is the third hotel that I have stayed in in the city, and it was the best. The room was very spacious compared with the other two, it was clean and modern, and the bathroom was fantastic. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was a huge continental buffet. Traveling alone on business, I felt safe, secure, and even pampered. I will be back.

Room Tip: The higher, the better, of course!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am so happy that the third time was a charm, and that The Strand fulfills everything that you, as a business traveler, have been seeking—including that special sense of being safe and pampered. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I look forward to welcoming you myself when business brings you to New York City again.

Warm regards,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Huge Money for tiny room. I mean tiny. I paid a ridiculous fee to stay in a ity bity room. The staff was nice, and so were the restaurants, but it was so tiny. Everything else was fine. Staff fine, but rooms just so tiny. The bed took up the entire room.

Room Tip: Huge expense tiny room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

It was kind of you to compliment our friendly staff, great restaurant and rooftop lounge, and I thank you for writing. We have a range of room configurations, so I was very sorry to hear that yours was much smaller than you expected. It is true that New York hotel rooms can feel quite compact to visitors from out West. When you come again, and I hope you will, please call me directly and it will be a pleasure to share some of the other room categories that will give you the additional space you require.

Wexford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I took a 4 day weekend with my daughter who had always wanted to see New York City. It was our first trip. The hotel was perfect for us. Nicely decorated with modern touches. The staff greeted us every day with a "good morning, hope you enjoy your day", and welcomed us back each night with a " welcome back, how was your day". No question was too small and they went out of their way to make recommendations and help us navigate the city. The location is out of the noisy, overcrowded Times Square area, but a very pleasant walk to the Theater District, Times Square, Herald Square and shopping. Pair this hotel with a New York Pass to see your pick of attractions, and a Hop-on, Hop-off Bus ticket to take you to the attractions, and you have a no-brainer, perfect get away. I will definitely stay there again. The trip changed my mind about New Yorkers, they are very gracious and proud of showing off their great city. Keep up the good work at the Strand.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor, away from the noise of the street. I slept like a baby.
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about how much you “Loved the hotel”. I’ll let all the staff members know what an impression they made during your eight day visit with us. We are so pleased with the special care and attention you received as it is truly second nature to our great team. I love that you described the Strand as quirky and arty, because here in New York’s Fashion District, that is exactly the way we intend to be. I hope your travels will bring you back again soon