Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Its midtown the location is great, the hotel itself is modern and well maintained, the room was great (the only small exception was the noisy air condition which cooled well),The hotel has a very unique and pleasant atmosphere with its style and decor and the nice tribute that they give to a great fashion photographer (Horst) whose many photos hang on the walls. The hotel provide a complimentary breakfast (very nice one) ,a rarity in NYC hotels, and complimentary wi-fi ,the staff was very helpful and gave a very good feeling. A place I sure will be back to and will warmly recommend to my friends

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danbd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Hungarian first
Gothenburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

We hade a wounderfull time and the service was perfekt! Nice housekeeping and the breakfirst was okey. We hade a room on 18th floor and it was very quet. Dont miss to go to the roofbar!
Elisabeth and Clas

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I need to travel to NYC frequently on business and am always looking for small, boutique NON Chain hotels that fit within my budget. I have discovered the Strand after reading the NY Times article last Year and wanting to give it a chance. I now have my new business hotel favorite- great room, business center, gym, free breakfast, awesome rooftop bar, good location and more. my new favorite indeed!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JLarkin
bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

We came here for my partners Birthday present we had asked for a view.
On arrival there was nobody to help with the luggage and we had a twenty minute wait for the lift(one was out of order)
When we eventualy got to our room I was very disappointed the room looked out on a close proximity office block with workers stairing in..
I rang the front desk and was spoken to like a naughty schoolgirl by a very rude receptionist.
I asked for the manager who did call us but said unless we paid an extra £200 dollars a night we could not have a view as they were fully booked.
By this time I was in tears however Greg who was the doorman/helper told us he would see if he could get us movedin a couple of days.
We then did enjoy ourselves ofcourse we were in NYC after all!!
Breakfast great/rooftop great/staff (with the exception of two mentioned )great.
We saw the yankees and the Lion king amazing.
We thought that Greg was an invaluable little treasure that management should look into giving promotion he did get us moved to the 20th floor and has a wealth of knowledge.
Truly wasted talent he turned our stay into a memorable one.
Be sure to ask for Greg !!!!

Room Tip: make sure you get what you ask for
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lindyBristol
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

We got our room off Priceline for a great price but I learned pre-arrival that their base room is a Superior Queen which doesn't sleep our family of four. This isn't the hotel's fault because Priceline only guarantees hotel rooms that sleep two but this was unfortunately my first experience with a hotel whose lowest class room is a two-person, queen-only room. I guess this isn't entirely unexpected as it is New York city. Anyhow I called the hotel and they informed me of a $60 upgrade to the Deluxe Double Double. But given that we were staying over Memorial Day weekend and I knew hotels in midtown would not be fully booked, I elected to chance an on-arrival upgrade.

The hotel is still fronted by a lot of scaffolding--probably construction from its neighbors. The lobby is small, but new and contemporary. Upon our very late arrival, I was greeted by a guy who was lukewarm friendly at best. We did however get our Deluxe Double Double. I requested a view of the Empire State Bldg and was given a 7th floor room, but "the view" was only of the top few floors and the spire. I certainly don't consider that a view but then again, we got a good price on the room and was upgraded for no charge so I can't really complain. Besides, if you want a great view of the ESB, just go to the roof-top lounge/bar--spectacular view! If you want a room with a view, request something closer to the 20th floor on the front of the hotel.

As for the room, it was pretty small overall but we were happy to have two beds for the weekend! Unless our double double was unusually small, I'm not sure how others can say this hotel has rooms that are large by New York standards. Our rooms during our last stay at the Milleninum UN were huge compared to this place. With all that said, the room was very clean, nicely decorated and furnished. Comforters and sheets were wonderful, and my wife really liked the bed and pillows. And the hotel is on a relatively quiet street so noise was not an issue.

The bathroom was a standard size but with a large shower area. The sink had very little counter space for toiletries--especially with four of us. Strangely, the large shower used a half glass partition but was left completely open at the far end. You can't avoid getting wet reaching across the shower head to turn on the water! And when showering, the water unavoidably splashes out onto the main bathroom floor. Not sure what Einstein designed this but this was not a good design or execution! Free wi-fi is nice but it surprised me that a new hotel still bothers to install a mini-bar. I don't know about you, but I think mini-bars are an insult, and I don't understand why hotels in the 21st century STILL waste valuable room real estate that could be used to create more drawer or refrigerator space just to try to rip customers off for a $8 beer or $5 candy bar!

The free breakfast seems to give a nod to European tastes. In addition to the typical continental breakfast (i.e. fruit, breads, bagels, cereals, yogurt, orange juice and coffee), they also served some small sandwiches such as prosciutto and cheese, and some type of chicken salad on a roll. They just need to add espressos and cappuccinos!

The exercise room was small but well-equipped with modern treadmills, elliptical, bike and even a sauna and shower.

Except for check-in, the hotel staff's customer service was consistently attentive and courteous. Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay and I would recommend The Strand Hotel for it's excellent value and service in a great midtown location.

Room Tip: Request room near the 20th floor for best ESB view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank terpnut
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

There were 4 of us on this trip & none had been to New York before.Located hotel quite easily.We all were releived that internet pictures had not let us down.This hotel was a wonderful find.From the staff on the front desk who greeted us to the cleaners who did the room, everyone was very pleasant & friendly.When booking this hotel ,it was one of the few to offer a continental breakfast.If you walk away hungry you only have yourself to blame.We had an evening meal on the night we arrived which was excellent.
A lovely bonus to this hotel was the roof top bar which has great views of the Empire State Building.We all enjoyed are stay & would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Blairs26
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

I come to NY for business and will tack on some leisure. This hotel is in a central location, is very convenient to Penn Station, and has been updated recently. The room is generous for NY. Closet space is very limited so more than three suits and four shirts hanging would be tight. There were three decent size drawers so plenty ofnspace for non-hanging items. Tabletop ironing board was not easynto use but functional. No space in frig for your own stuff - it is all mini-bar. Continental breakfast is excellent with fresh fruit, cereals, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, cold cuts (truly continental, although Europeans will be disappointed by the American style cured meats).

• Stayed May 2011