The Jane
$335
$305
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$149
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$126
$116
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
$166
$161
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
$400
$341
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
$159
$126
  • Bar/Lounge
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$137
$110
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
$153
$138
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$249
$80
  • Breakfast included
$173
$144
Travelocity
1,460 results
All reviewsshared bathroomcafe gitanemeatpacking districtcaptain's cabinstandard cabinthe high linesingle cabinjane streethudson riverbunk bedsfree bikesquirky hotelnew yorkwhitney museumgreenwich villageair conipod dock
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My first impression was that the hotel was so much more impressive than I had expected, great location on a lovely cobbled street, a stunning lobby and very friendly and helpful staff.

The room was as described, small but functional. Some nice touches: the bathrobes, slippers and complimentary water was appreciated. The bathrooms were small but clean. There was only 1 hook in the shower to hang any clothes, towel etc, a bit more space to put items/get changed would have been great.

The big issue came at night: the walls were paper thin and I could hear everything happening outside my room: doors slamming, people snoring, shouting in the corridor. I 'm by no means a light sleeper but was unable to get any sleep. The room was also extremely hot, even with the window left open.

I won't be back because of the noise, a real shame as otherwise I loved the place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I loved this place---even though standing in the middle of the room, I could actually touch the walls on both sides of the room! it's small, but it had all I needed---and was only $99---I enjoyed walking on the Hudson River and the new High Line Park---it's right by it! Staff excellent, friendly, helpful--restaurant EXCELLENT food! and great atmosphere---don't know about the larger rooms, but mine was small but adequate---charming building--just really nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2010

At first my review was going to be negative for this hotel but it did warm on me after a few days, I stayed for 4, and at $100 USD a nite, this was the driving force behind my choice of the Jane.
The hotel is located in the north village (Greenwich) and a stone’s throw from Chelsea, the area as you would imagine is quite trendy and upmarket, with lots of New York town home type buildings, people walking dogs, and cute little cafes selling cream cheese bagels, which no doubt have been doing this for years.
The lobby is old fashioned and yes the staff wear cruise outfits from the early 20th century, you can walk to you room via the stairs or wait for the bell man to take you up in the old lift, which they operate manually. I understand this is being replaced in the new year with a new one.
I stayed in a single cabin room which was the size of a king size bed, but functional, it had a day bed single, with storage underneath, and above, plus drawers built in, with a safe in the draw. LCD TV and Ipod dock were also supplied, and room had AC and a fan, which strangely enough you need as the heating has the room at well into the 80's (30 degrees Celsius plus) and you can’t control the heat! I slept with the fan, AC and window open despite the winter temps outside.
The shared bathrooms are located on the floors, and were clean and usually free to use.
The downside is there is a nightclub at the hotel on weekends so don’t expect much sleep, couple this with noisy air conditioners running thru the nite, leaves me to give the hotel and overall ok, with sleep quality being the major downfall.
The above aside, a good choice of hotel for the young traveller with a budget.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank dasberliner
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I stayed at the Jane for four days at the tail end of Thanksgiving week. Staff went out of their way to help and even the elevator (which I had heard so much about) had no problems to which I was grateful (and being on the 6th floor that elevator was a lifesaver).

My only real issue out of my entire stay was the sound of the heating system which when turned on sounded like a loud woosh coming through the room which woke me up early every morning. From what I was told this is the sound of steam at high pressure coming through the pipes and with the hotel having been built in 1906 this was understandable. Old hotel, has a lot of character, it makes sounds and if you are expecting silence when you come to NYC you choose the wrong place. The Jane sits on a lovely little cobblestone street in the greenwich village and the west side highway, and the neighborhood itself is charming and near the Skyline.

Having grown up on a sailboat the size of my room didn't faze me, but if you are expecting to spread out in a basic bunk cabin think again. The room itself was fine for one, and suited my basic needs. I ran around NY most of the time I was there, and came back to the Jane in the evenings to rest up.

On the first floor of the hotel is a little french cafe that has the most wonderful waffles. The orange waffle was amazing and I had it twice during my stay. But if the cafe is not for you, there's a shop one block over which is reasonable and has a hot bar so you can pick and choose your food.

Also on the first floor or basement (couldn't really tell) is a ballroom which is a lively club. But I didn't have much to do with it, other than having a laugh sitting in the lobby early one morning waiting for my ride watching some rather pretentious (and some drunk) NY'ers getting turned down by the formidable looking bouncer "for not being on the list". It was hilarious to watch to be honest.

All in all I'd stay at the Jane again, it's reasonable, the walk to the subway at 14th and 8th really isn't that far and you not only get a feel of old NY but a bit of Titanic history too.

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank redskye72
Reviewed December 2, 2010

The hotel and room sizes and shared bathrooms were exactly as promised. So It would be silly to comment on sizes. But the amenities, the cafe, the club downstairs, the service, the lobby are all more than I ever expected.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo