“Fun...But Not for Everyone!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Fun...But Not for Everyone!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I love the Jane - but I'm a quirky guy who loves history and weird stuff. The Jane is quirky and weird; if you're expecting a standard hotel experience, this isn't the place for you. Tiny rooms (we're talking like 6' by 10', people), shared bathrooms, a young, casual staff. It's kept immaculately clean, and the lighting/tv system is super-cool. Don't send your clients who are visiting from Minneapolis there, but if you're up for an adventure and a real piece of NYC history, give it a try!

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, get a room on a high floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Tim B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We were running an event in NY. We've used the Jane a number of times for staff hotels and indeed guest hotels. Although they don't do group bookings, you can book individually for people and put it under the same bank card. Every time we've tried to do this it's been a disaster:

They've lost the guests' information a number of times to the point that people couldn't check-in.
They lost our credit card information a number of times. We've resent three times and physically visited the hotel to go through it all with them too.
Anything more than one person booking their own room seems completely beyond the staff.

It's like running a hotel is a sideline job rather than their actual business.

Tried a number of times to book the bar space for a private party. The entire experience was trying to push jelly up a hill. We ended up taking our business elsewhere.

Arrogant and completely full of their own hipness.

Never again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank LittleMitchell123
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I really enjoyed my brief stay at the historically correct Jane Hotel in the West Village. Wish I had had more time to hang out in the bar and comfortable, quirky lobby, but would definitely return. Good value for money, if you don't mind tiny rooms and a shared bath. My only (minor) complaint was water all over the floor in the shower in the morning, but luckily I brought my shower thongs! As a few other reviewers have mentioned, rooms in The Jane suffer from the classic New York problem of being overheated, so I cranked up the ceiling fan and cracked the window for some fresh air and it was fine. This happens a lot in the winter with steam heat in NYC apartments and hotel rooms, be advised!

I thought the service and food in Cafe Gitane downstairs was relaxed but responsive, and I loved the French feel of the place. Have plans to return here with my boyfriend on a pleasure trip soon!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Worldlyjane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Granted I travel on a budget, and am really only concerned with having a place to rest my head. The rooms are clean and quiet. The bed was good enough. The Jane has charm, wonderful service, and a tasty restaurant off the lobby. The neighborhood is cute, but as with NYC be prepared to walk or drive to get anywhere specific. Plenty of free parking in the area if you don't mind the street. The Jane is my first choice of where to stay when I go to NYC!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank kipthefish
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I just spent a week at The Jane and would highly recommend it. The cabins are indeed small, really small, but for this trip I wasn't planning on spending time in a hotel room- therefore The Jane was perfect. However, having worked in hotels I am fussy and know the deal. I could not fault the cleanliness of both the rooms and shared bathrooms. They were constantly being cleaned and the showers were beautiful rain showers. The room had great little features like fresh water daily, bathrobes and slippers, TV, loads of storage, opening windows and room service from Cafe Gitane downstairs.
Cafe Gitane was lovely for breakfast and the bar was super cool, I felt comfortable having a drink on my own in the evening. On the weekend nights it's crazy busy and a bit noisy, but it's all part of the charm. The neighbourhood was awesome. I loved roaming the streets and discovering new places everyday. So close to The Chelsea Market- fantastic places to eat and the start of The Highline which was gorgeous even during a very cold week in New York. The staff were always friendly and I would totally recommend The Jane for a funky little sanctuary in NYC for people who want to spend their time and money out doing things! I will totally be back! Thank you for a very memorable stay.

Stayed March 2014
7 Thank Emmaks2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

If you're in NYC on a budget, the Jane is for you. The rooms are tiny but clean and adequate. Shared bathrooms but they're actually nice- great shower. Staff is very friendly and the hotel is beautiful. The area is nice and felt safe. There are tvs in the rooms, towels, shampoo and other shower supplies in the bathroom, and a safe under the beds- we could fit too laptops.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank elchayeb
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I spent a Friday night at the Jane based on reviews from fellow trip advisors. We arrived mid afternoon and were able to find a free parking spot on the street a block from the hotel. Don't know if we were just lucky but it sure beat paying $50+ at the parking garage across the street! We were met at the door by a bell hop complete with the authentic outfit who helped us carry our bags up the steps to the lobby. Check in was fine although when I made the reservations with the hotel, I specifically requested a king size bed but they had us in a room with a full size bed. Thankfully they were able to give a king bed. If not, that would have been a big negative. The room was completely adequate and very old-fashioned in appearance which my wife really liked. She called it "bohemian". Great rainfall shower head. The only complaint is there is no way to adjust the heat in your room. It was quite warm and we had the ceiling fan going all night. We were on the second floor and could just hear the DJ downstairs but not enough to bother us. We were in room 202. Had a great breakfast in the hotel's restaurant albeit expensive ($40 with tip). Would we stay there again? We're already planning to do so.

Room Tip: On a Friday night there was a DJ going until the early morning hours. We were on the second floor an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple