The Jane
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$161
$285
$247
  • Room Service
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$161
$118
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$167
$98
  • Restaurant
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$185
$150
  • Bar/Lounge
$144
$116
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$309
$215
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$229
$100
  • Breakfast included
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$305
1,475 results
All reviewsshared bathroomcafe gitanemeatpacking districtcaptain's cabinstandard cabinthe high linesingle cabinjane streethudson riverbunk bedsfree bikesquirky hotelnew yorkwhitney museumgreenwich villageair conipod dock
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The TINY rooms are fine for a day or two but I found it, particularly the bed, too small for a longer stay. The shared bathrooms are okay too but the showers are always wet and feel a little…shared. The location is great being between uptown and downtown with the subway about 10minutes away. The staff seemed indifferent until I hit a problem but then they showed truly professional and caring attitudes which was really appreciated.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter being further away from the night club.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I couldn't say it all any better than Eric M. did. Weekend trip for a friend & I and we had a great time staying at this hotel! Price was amazing as well! The heat/air conditioning was a little tricky but we figured it out and stayed comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This past Thanksgiving I had a problem adjusting the heat (it was too hot). I was okay turning the air conditioner on for a while to adjust the temperature. At 9pm the room's smoke detector sounded approximately 8 times. The battery was replaced. At 4:15am the detector again sounded numerous times, waking me up from my sleep. The staff removed the detector from the room, which concerned me in the event a fire were to occur. I was told to e-mail the Front Desk Manager, who would compensate me for my loss of sleep. Several weeks later they responded saying the MAY be able to give me a DISCOUNT on a future stay. My reason for my overnight stay was to have a good night's sleep, and I'm disappointed in the hotel's response. Though I have liked staying at the hotel in the past, I am now thinking of staying at others in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Neil D
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thanks for writing.

As your stay was on Thanksgiving and you are writing less than two weeks after the holiday, your claim of a response from management "several weeks" after your stay would appear to be incorrect. A response was sent on Monday. If the auto-response out of office email you received was unclear I apologize as I did in my initial response to your complaint. Any of our managers would have been happy to address your concern immediately should you have emailed reservations as was suggested in the out of office response. I'll do my best to address this additional complaint as swiftly as possible as I'm now back from vacation.

Our heating system is quite old and difficult to regulate throughout the building. I'm glad to hear that you were able to regulate the temperature in the room to make it comfortable. I apologize again for the smoke alarm. Technical malfunctions do happen from time to time, but we try to minimize discomfort for our guests whenever possible.

As you wrote that you were considering a future trip to The Jane we did offer the possibility of a discount based upon availability. We are required to let you know that requests are "based upon availability" because if all of our rooms are booked we are unable to offer a room at all. I'm sorry if you felt this was inadequate compensation.

Thanks again for the note. We wish you all the best in your future travels.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

For a weekend in December where its impossible to find a room for two (separate beds) for under $270, The Jane was a great find ($145 incl. tax). I stayed one night there (5th Floor bunk cabin) during a weekend visit with a friend and it is literally a step back into the past with the quality of any other Manhattan hotel albeit on a smaller scale.

It also boasts a pretty popular club which draws in large crowds at night so be prepared if you arrive at that time. You can hear the music outside but it doesn't carry through the hotel.

It was nice to get out of the busy city but still have a great experience- the seaman's hotel was built in 1908 and housed Titanic Survivors.

Service: The hotel has room service and a restaurant but my friend and I didn't use those. The doormen who greeted us and the front desk clerks were polite and dressed as early 20th Century bellhops.

Rooms: The bunk cabins are definitely small and though there's adequate storage below the bed, if you have large luggage, you'll lose valuable space. The Bunk Beds were comfortable and the room clean and very authentic. Each bed has its own tv. My only complaint was that the heater/air conditioner didn't seem to work so we either had to leave it on the set temp (which got cold overnight) or turn it off (which got warm and stuffy).

Bathrooms: The Bathrooms are shared with two on each floor. Each only had two-three toilets and two showers but they were all fully separated and enclosed with a long vanity and a few sinks out in the middle. The waterfall showers were fantastic- they're large and it's easy to get warm water. Each guest gets a bathrobe and uber comfy slippers and there's enough room to hang them on the back of the door without getting them wet (If you don't want to be barefoot in the shower, you'll need flip flops). The bathroom was as clean as any private bathroom I've had and never busy.

Location: Located in Chelsea on the West Side, the hotel's about three or four miles from the heart of Times Square but its easy to take the subway from Penn Station to 14th Street and walk a few short blocks. We got off the subway around midnight and I'll admit the area is a bit sketchy after dark but it was bustling in the morning and is actually a nice little town (not too much in entertainment though). The hotel is easy to find and close to the 8th street subway as well and the Chelsea Piers and Highline.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the details and staff were not lost on you! We would be happy to see you again soon. Please reach out if there is anything we can do in the meantime.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here for a week, in one of the Captain's rooms, and loved it. There are many wonderful things about this hotel: The staff, the location, the decor and, of course, the bikes!
I felt very welcome here. The staff really go out of their way to assist you with anything - they seem to employ genuinely nice people.
Location is convenient to both east and west downtown, and not too far to Brooklyn either.
I've stayed in various hotels in NYC and for me 'the Jane' wins for charm, location and ambience.
I felt like a real lady chilling out at the Jane. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

We're so glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back and see us soon!