1,543 results
All reviews shared bathroom cafe gitane meatpacking district captain's cabin the high line standard cabin single cabin jane street hudson river shared facilities bunk beds free bikes quirky hotel whitney museum new york greenwich village air con
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Jane Hotel is well located and cheapish for what it is. The rooms are small but can also be very noisy if located near the street. There is also a nightclub under the hotel which pumps until the wee hours, I found it hard to fall asleep until well after 1:00 am. Not what you want when you are trying to recharge for another days sightseeing in NYC.

I was staying on the 3rd floor and there were some strange odours coming from somewhere. Not sure if it was smoke or the carpets or what. There were also a few noisy inconsiderate people who like to slam doors, talk etc at all hours of the night.

The ventilation / heating can also make the rooms very warm. One day I was there the outside temp was near 90 so to cool down I had to use the window mount Aircon which sounds like an old aeroplane.

My advice if you want a good nights sleep is you wont get one here. Best things are location (5 mins from underground/subway) free pushbikes and free wi-fi. No complaints with the staff.

Room tip: avoid a room with a window facing the street (the noise is constant and makes it hard to sleep)
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry you were disturbed during your stay. We are happy to place our light-sleepers in areas with less traffic if possible. I would actually suggest an outward facing window if you prefer a cooler room as these rooms tend to get better air-flow.

We hope to see you again in the future. Thanks again for writing.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at the Jane Hotel in mid-May 2013. I was very pleased with my stay there.

My two main criteria when looking for a hotel in New York were price and location. The Jane delivers on both. The Jane is located right in the Meat Packing District. It’s a 5 minute walk away from Greenwich Village, and 10-15 minutes away from SoHo. You can walk to the High Line linear park in less than 5 minutes.

The hotel’s lobby is very tastefully decorated. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. And the rooms were clean and well-kept.

My spouse and I chose a bunk-bed cabin room with a shared bathroom (the cheapest option). The room was smaller than I thought (more on that later), but adequate. This was my first time staying in a hotel with shared bathrooms, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. But I had no problems. The toilets are completely private, as are the showers, and both were very clean during my stay. I only had to wait once for a toilet, but only about 5 minutes. Same with the showers. The bathroom was only really busy from around 7-9 a.m. when everyone was getting up and getting ready to go out. The bathrooms were more or less empty at other times. The hotel provides you with a bathrobe and slippers for your showers, which I thought was a nice touch.

The hotel’s café, Café Gitane, was terrific. I ate there almost every day during my stay. The food was top notch. I did find the prices to be slightly more on the “upscale” end of things, but I thought the quality of the food justified the prices. Café Gitane uses a lot of organic chicken and organic beef in their dishes, and the quality of their ingredients comes through in their food. Certainly, you could find a cheaper place, but I don’t think it would be as good.

My only “complaint” – more a concern, really – was that the bunk bed cabin room was smaller than I thought it would be. The hotel’s website has some pictures, but it looks bigger in the photograph. My spouse and I found it difficult to maneuver around each other in the morning while getting dressed. It’s definitely not a room to hang out in, but it’s adequate for storing your belongings and sleeping in. The Jane does offer larger rooms with private bathrooms, but these were out of my budget for this trip. I might consider upgrading on my next trip, though.

I really liked the Jane, and will be staying here next time I visit New York City. Yes, the bunk bed rooms are small, but you don’t come to New York to hang out in your hotel room. For the price and location, the Jane can’t be beat.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rabbit72

Thanks for taking the time to write. We're happy that you enjoyed yourselves and we hope to see you soon! (Possibly in a Captain's Cabin next time!)

Untill then...

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The room was tiny but big if you were a tall ship sailor. The ship like cabin was cosy, adequate, clean, quiet and cleverly laid out. It had all the bells and whistles of a regular hotel room except for a shower/bath room. The latter was offered just down the hall, and was sparkling clean. The check in staff was friendly and helpful. The (early) check out staff was efficient. I paid $147 for a one bed-room, all taxes included. The hotel is a short walk to/from the subway. I would stay there again.

1  Thank Robert H

Thanks for writing. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and are considering coming back! We'll be ready to greet you...

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I found the room and communal baths spotless. If you want an affordable, safe place to crash (or catch a disco nap) then I recommend it. I would not attempt to stay here with my family. The vibe is young-ish, budget jetset. The cafe downstairs was excellent. Great staff that made me feel welcome even though I am clearly not a hipster. Yes, it got loud on the weekend but it is the city that never sleeps. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: March 2013
1  Thank genXartist

Thanks for writing. We're happy that you chose The Jane for your disco nap! Feel free to bring the family along and request a quieter room. We have all sorts of options.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Finding somewhere reasonably priced to stay in Manhattan that isn't depressing is very difficult but The Jane provides a solution. Located in the West Village, it is close to the bars of Christopher St, adjacent to the Hudson river, and the area is completely non-threatening.

The rooms really are tiny but they are well-fitted out and the shared bathrooms are plush and far less of an inconvenience than you might imagine.

There is a stylish cafe/restaurant/bar and they provide cool bikes to hire free of charge.

The only downsides are the presence of a nightclub in the basement which is open well into the early hours (though only an issue if your room is low down in the hotel) and the tiny rooms, but they shouldn't put you off what is actually quite a plush and stylish hotel for the money.

1  Thank sunseeker986

Thanks for taking the time to write. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime!