“Great Value in a Great NYC location”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #300 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Value in a Great NYC location”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just got home from a short three night business/pleasure stay in NYC. I found this funky little gem through a Google search. The rooms are beyond small... I chose the bunks as I was traveling with an assistant. The rooms and hotel are wonderfully "campy" with great character. One of us would have to leave the room while the other got dressed. I thought the shared bathrooms would become a problem as we did have meetings, but I never waited for a shower or toilet. I would have liked to have seen the "private" rooms for size and comfort. The staff was very helpful!!!
We peeked our head into the night club ( also funky) and it always had a short line to get in :-) The cafe was a wonderful touch with a nice little menu. Neighborhood offers everything you need being between Chelsea and the Village, and only a short walk 5 minutes to the subway, and if you are lucky...a view of the Statue of Liberty out your bathroom window with a reflection in the mirror.
I would offer this property to the person on a tight budget, easy going traveler or a person who uses the term Funky Monkey.

Room Tip: Do not get the bunk rooms if you have large luggage!! This is a room for the light traveler.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rick H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Jane has the advantage of a great location in a beautiful neighborhood in the West village that is quiet and safe. Next to Hudson St Greenwich St and West 4th st that are abundant with great little restaurants, cafes, and stores. Also just a few blocks away from the 8th ave/14th st ACE stop. The service was great, all the employees were polite and respectful with a smile on their face at all times. The room was much smaller than expected, even after I went through all the available pics online. My only recommendation is the addition of some hangers - bring your own! Also, a room sink and some tissues would be awesome as the bathrooms use air dryers. Nevertheless, the room was clean, comfortable under the circumstances and provided a bottle of water every day. The bathrooms were reasonably clean and I pretty much never had a problem using the bathroom/shower throughout my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank B B
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for writing. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Please do let us know if you'd like tissues or additional hangers on your return trip as we are happy to provide them.

Hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The Jane is a hidden gem, off the beaten path in NYC. My husband and I are not routine travelers to the City, and we are easily lost and overwhelmed, so finding the Jane was a delight for us. The location in the West Village was great and easy to fine. The hotel staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help any way they could. There is a quirky charm at the hotel that we found endearing. The rooms were clean and the shared bathroom situation wasn't a problem either. We would stay again.

Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Saxtell
Thanks for writing. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Come back soon...
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have stayed a few times. The standard cabin and sharing bathrooms - isn't really for me anymore. I pay extra for a single room with its own bathroom and am delighted to do so. Good wifi is included. Rooms are well maintained and v clean. Great location. Friendly staff always on hand.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We're happy to hear that you're enjoying the Captain's Cabin! We hope to see you again soon... Thanks for writing.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel reminds me of The Shining, and also of every nightclub fire disaster I've ever read about. I'm not that clausterphobic of a person, but something about the narrow hallways and low ceilings, which seem even lower if you're in the top bunk, make it feel more like a crypt. Which I'm sure is really cool for photoshoots or a drink downstairs, but I would highly advise against actually sleeping here.

In case you're not already hyperventilating from lack of space, you will be soon from lack of air, as the temperature is kept at a mandatory bikram-yoga-esque 80 degrees. I felt like a fish out of water, pressed up to the miniscule window just trying to get a breath of fresh air. A window which, once opened, made me think sleeping under the Brooklyn Bridge would've been more peaceful. But the icing on the cake was when I saw something crawling on the floor in our floor's communal bathroom and knelt down to investigate. That's right, I'm not someone to just crush any living thing - I wanted to know if it was something that absolutely needed to go. And lo and behold it was a bedbug! A HUGE ONE. Not a baby roach, not a flea, not something else, but a bedbug.

I thought about reporting this to the front desk, or the health department, but to be honest, after reading some of the other reviews on here - they must already know they have an infestation. And I'd find it hard to believe if the city doesn't already know as well. It's absolutely crazy to me that they haven't been shut down, or sued, and that people are actually paying money to stay here!!!!!! Crazy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank perrin285
Thanks for writing. I am sorry to hear that your Bunk Cabin was not as spacious as you would have hoped. It is true that these rooms are small, but we do offer Captain's Cabins as an option for those who would like more space. I apologize if you ran into troubles with the temperature in the room. Please don't hesitate to call down if this should happen. If we can find a more comfortable room or adjust your heat we are always happy to do so. As for your encounter with a bed bug... I am very sorry to hear that you felt it was not appropriate to inform our staff that this occurred. We are extremely proactive in preventative and treatment measures should we encounter this problem. It is an epidemic in New York and we do not take it lightly. That being said, I can appreciate your concern and we will certainly treat immediately.

Thanks again for writing.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Firstly, the hotel has a good location. I love the west village.
The hotel building is very beautiful, and has a helpful concierge personnel. The lounge looks pretty cool also.
I stayed in a cabin. The room was very clean, cozy and very quiet. It had a lcd, ipod dock, free local phone calls and a fan.
The shared bathroom was also very clean.
Of course it hadn't any view and is was very dark, but if you are looking for a clean very cheap and well located place only to sleep, it's just perfect.
I love this hotel, and I will for sure come back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for writing. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you again soon!
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed at the Jane in January. Great quirky place with over the top decor in the public areas. I had a Captains Cabin which had plenty of room and of course an ensuite (the shower was fantastic).
Staff were friendly and helpful.
My room was on the 2nd floor, and the heating cannot be regulated by yourself on that floor apparantly. Had a couple of prob's with it. Too warm one evening, mentioned it at reception- problem solved. Awoke one morning at about 0300hrs freezing. No extra blankets so sufferred 'till morning (should have probably rung reception, but you know). Have fed this back to management. Seriously though, these things didn't really bother me enough to not go back or recommend the place. Great location in a nice quiet neighbourhood. I had no prob's with noise from downstairs, although could hear a bit from West St, but it certainly didn't keep me awake. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Not one on the 2nd floor and ask for a view of the river
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo