“You didn't come NYC to sleep!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Jane

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Jane
Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Singapore
“You didn't come NYC to sleep!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have done my homework prior to the stay and so there were no surprises. Shared a bunk bed room with another buddy for 2 nights and that was enough. Room was as a big as a car park lot. So go figure how 2 grown man elbow ourselves as we tried to change clothes etc. Luckily both of us travelled light so luggage storage wasn't an issue. But then again, treat it as a place just to sleep, so should be ok. Toilets were clean, but then again, sharing a common toilet may not appeal to many. The elevator broke down during my stay and climbing stairs weren't fun. Room is musty and dark. Thankfully it's winter - I wonder how people deal with summer....ALL THE BEST IF YOU ARE ON THE CHEAP! Cheers!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ronrush

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Jane has a great location, whether you plan to spend your time in the Village or wander around town. Your experience will vary according to your temperament as a traveler...whether you feel more comfortable in a 50-sq-ft Cabin or the more standard sized Captain's Quarters.

The cabin is cozy. The mirror along one wall gives a feeling of more space, and I had a window onto leafy, residential Jane Street (and if you peered a bit, the Hudson River.) At 5'5", I'm around average height for 1908 (when the hotel was built), and my bed was comfortable (although the spring mattress was a bit creaky.) I'm not sure how taller travelers would fare. If you value tons of space to sprawl in or socialize, maybe think about the Captain's Quarters.

The weekend I stayed, an open window was enough to let in the river breeze. A/C and a fan are provided. There was a complimentary bottle of filtered water which was refilled daily; I had to ask for clean glasses, but everything else was refreshed daily. Rooms have wifi, but only the captain's quarters rooms have a chair or desk. What a good excuse to leave the laptop at home! Your cabin comes with plenty of hooks, but you should bring hangers.

My only regret was that the beautiful bar was off limits all weekend due to private parties. (Dave
Grohl got to go in; most of us weren't famous enough.) This was also the only source of noise
during my stay (the joint was jumping until about 3am Sunday, which made not being on the VIP list feel all the more unfair.) You may hear faint sounds from adjoining rooms, but if you travel with ear plugs, or use the fan or A/C as white noise, you should be fine.

Shared unisex bathrooms are down the hall & kept spotlessly clean. The Jane provides slippers and robes (I packed flip-flops with an attached bottle opener, so I was prepared for anything.) There are several sinks, a hair dryer and a great hand dryer that would probably do that G-force effect if you stuck your face under it. Toilets and showers are completely enclosed (each behind a door which you can lock behind you) so privacy is not an issue, even with a full house. Over a three-day stay, I never had to wait in line.

Cafe Gitane, right off the lobby, is a sunny and pleasant space and the staff is friendly and efficient. Full breakfast is good, if not cheap; there are a la carte items available and you can't beat the convenience (especially if you get room service.) Both baked eggs dishes (with smoked salmon and capers, or tomato sauce and merguez sausages) were delicious and included toasted baguette; with coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice, they came to about $21 each. They also have sandwiches, Mediterranean-style entrees and a traditional petit déjeuner of coffee/tea, juice, and croissant with butter and jam.

Bonus: You can borrow a bike free of charge. The High Line trailhead is a couple of blocks away, and you can catch the subway at 8th Av/14th St or 7th/13, less than 10 minutes walk away. The trip from JFK was just over an hour by Airtrain and subway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank stvnptrk66
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was coming back from a buisness trip in Texas and decided to stay in New York for 2 nights for some traveling.

Unfortunately either due to the hurricane or holiday season most of the hotels were either fully booked or very expensive. This seemed like the only decent option (based on tripadvisor reviews) for 150$ a night.

I am a young guy and I've been in the army spending about a month sleeping in a tent in the middle of the desert so I guessed nothing can be that bad right?

As I arrived in the hotel I was given room 338. The elevator was broken, so it was either having the staff carrying my bad upstairs or taking it myself. I knew the room was going to be small, but never thought it would be *that* small. My room was close to the bathroom and the shower, so each time anyone used it I would wake up. You can hear the hand drier horribly loud in the room. Despite the fact that I believe smoking is forbidden in the hotel the hallway was smelling like a bunch of dudes were smoking there non-stop. I believe it may be the small from the days before smoking was forbidden in the hotel. It was actually quite horrible as the smell could be sensed from inside the room.

The "single cabin" is the size of a shoebox, its smaller than a queen sized bed and looks pretty nasty. Old rug on the floor, holes in the bed sheets. I tried to stay in the room as little as possible, but returning there was a bummer in the end of the day. I couldn't believe I was paying that much money for that. A year ago I was in NY in February and was paying about 120$ for 4 star Hilton hotel in the middle of Manhattan.

The hotel isn't anywhere close to a subway, unless you consider walking about 10 minutes by foot "close".

Besides the elevator being broken, there was no TV remote in my room. They did bring it to me eventually but it took quite abit of time (like 3 hours after I requested). They were having issues with the WiFi quite alot, it was fast enough when it worked though. The bathrooms were relatively clean, though the shower room looked like something you would see in a jail. Even my gym has better looking showers!

The staff seemed friendly, I didn't try to change my room to anything better as on arrival they told me they were fully booked, plus I was for only 2 nights so I sucked it up and left as early as I could.
The funny thing about the hotel is that you see many business people there, older couples etc. I was expecting to see young guys on a budget (although 150$ a night is not a budget, and you can probably get an awesome hotel anywhere else outside manhattan for that price).

There is no way I will stay in a similar kind of a hotel ever again, certainly not for that kind of a price. Next time I will either come to New York during a different season when hotel prices are more reasonable or not come at all.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the bathrooms, the hand drier will ensure you stay awake all night. Yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kostya Y
Wakefield, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We loved everything about this hotel. Super friendly and funny staff, and beautiful attatched cafe. Gorgeous bathtub and great products. Very handy items in mini bar, and useful in room safe. Our room had a view of the Statue of Liberty and we loved the neighbourhood-food and bars and families. Will stay again, thanks Jane Hotel, you are my new hotel love in New York.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, take a Captain's Cabin. Super nice bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stungbyabee
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

My fiance and I live in Brooklyn, and we recently spent two nights at The Jane while the furnace in our building was being replaced and we had no heat/hot water. As former West Villagers, we have long been big fans of Cafe Gitane and we love the hotel bar. So it was especially disappointing to have such an unpleasant first (and last) stay in the hotel itself. We checked into room 205 on our first night. The room was perfectly fine, if a bit noisy, with nice river views. On night #2, we made our way back up to 205 and were completely confused to find another couple's belongings in our room. We went back down to the front desk where we were told that housekeeping had moved us to room 218, though no one could explain why, and we were told to speak with the manager the next morning. So we went up to 218 and found that it was actually a slightly bigger, nicer room than the original, and all of our belongings had been moved safely and nothing lost. We got into bed and within an hour were awakened by thumping base/dance music from the bar, which lasted until 3am. And the icing on the cake-- no hot water the next morning. The manager we dealt with comped our second night, and explained that housekeeping should have relocated the couple in 505, but instead moved us. I understand that mistakes happen and I have never posted a negative hotel review before, but this whole experience left me with such a bad impression of the service at this hotel that I would never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica S
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I recently stayed here with a friend for a shopping and sightseeing trip to NYC and it was better than expected. The location is amazing, close to the Subway, in a trendy area with plenty of bars and restaurants around to keep you entertained, yet the immidiate vicinity is quiet and so great for making sure you get the best of both worlds.

We booked a twin bunk room but had an upgrade to a twin cabin and it was great, also suprising over the Thanksgiving weekend.

The hotel is close to the High Line which is also great for those that want to see the city from slightly higher up, its also a lot quicker than battling with the crossings!

super cheap but great value, the lift was out of order when we arrived but the reception team carried our bags up 4 flights of stairs without breaking a sweat. Great team who are really friendly and happy to help and provide tips on the best places to go to suit your budget!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank European_traveller84
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my second stay at The Jane, and it was as good as i remembered. I stayed in room 361 (single cabin room) this time, which didn't have much of a view but was less than 20 paces to the bathroom. The staff were all very helpful, housekeeping was thorough and i must make a special mention of the bell-hop who went out of his way to help get me a cab when i left to go home. The elevator was out of action but not really a big deal. The towels are soft, bed comfy and the free wifi and in room safe are very useful.

The hotels in a great area, only a few minutes walk to the nearest subway (A,C,E & L lines) and with plenty of great eating, shopping and quiet parks within walking distance.

The only minor negative is the noise; i would recommend taking earplugs to help ensure a quiet nights sleep. There is a club in the hotel at weekends which can be a bit noisey.

Given the price of the room, the location and the great atmosphere, The Jane is now my go-to hotel for any trip to NYC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo