“A welcome reprieve from tyranny of corporate branding”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #300 of 468 Hotels in New York City
North Lincolnshire, UK
“A welcome reprieve from tyranny of corporate branding”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Yes, the rooms are small and the air-conditioning is a bit dodgy, and yes, you have to share a (clean) bathroom - but what you also get is a stay in a unique and historic setting - a welcomed reprieve from the bland corporate branding of the major chains.

For starters, The Jane is cheap for New York and it's in a great waterfront location. Walk up the steps and into the foyer and it's like stepping back in time. The period features of the original building have been preserved - and the "spirit of the age" is carried through in the outfits of the staff - without them looking like something off Disneyland. The staff were helpful and responsive. For example, my flight from the UK was delayed 26hrs, but they kept in touch with me by email - holding my reservation and not making a fuss about the night I missed.

The rooms are like cabins - presumably a feature of the original function of the building (a seaman's mission). I didn't have any problem with the showering arrangements. The were big, clean and only a few feet from my room. The restaurant downstairs does a good selection of dishes (leaning towards North African style) at a very reasonable price. Finished the evening with a quiet drink on the rooftop terrace overlooking the Hudson River. A memorable evening.

Room Tip: The Hotel has a fleet of serviceable bicycles for guests to use (first-come, first-served).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lytham St Annes
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Jane is situated in a quiet cobbled street in the Meatpacker District next to Greenwich Village. The rooms are based on ship cabins, so are small but comfortable with flat screen TV & free wifi & safe deposit box. Bathroom & showers are situated at ends of the corridors, There is a french restaurant on site and a cocktail bar. Handy for both Penn & Union stations. A bonus for the adventurer is the free bicycle hire from outside the hotel. It's about a 15 minute stroll to 5th Avenue and Madison Square Garden if you don't fancy the bike. I found the location to be ideal with lots of nice eating places in Greenwich Village in the evening to unwind after the hustle & bustle of the city. I would certainly recommend The Jane for the solo traveller.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet and offer a good nights sleep. I found the on-site restaurant a bit pricey t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Baz_c
Provo, Utah
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The location is good, not too far from multiple subway entrances. We felt safe in the neighborhood. The room and bathroom areas were very clean and in very good repair. We arrived with a car and I didn't realize there is absolutely nowhere to park. They quickly checked me in as I parked illegally outside and even carried our bags to the room. When we checked out, I accidentally left some items in the safe and they sent them to use via FedEx and just billed my credit card.

The rooms are very small and I didn't realize how to get the power turned on until I called the front desk. Friday night was a little loud with music coming from somewhere, but Saturday night we didn't hear a thing.

The room rates were great and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Absolutely beautiful bar and well worth a visit if you're in the West Village. High ceilings, gorgeous open fire and great drinks!! Cosy and old worldly feel. Friendly staff and not too busy! Worth a visit if your in the area and want a break from the madness!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my first time in NYC and The Jane and I will definitely be back. The room was small but it had everything in it that I needed and was comfortable. I had no problem with noise as other people have reported. I thought the location was really good for basically getting anywhere in the city as the subway is so close but I also walked to a lot of places to get to take it all in. The neighbourhood the hotel is in is also really nice and feels like a village and a lot quiet than further uptown but there is still a lot going on. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Also ordered room service one night and the food was great and arrived quickly. Another unexpected bonus was that you could see the Statue of Liberty out of the bathroom window on fourth floor and the view at night was really nice. I think if you're looking for a base to explore the city from then this is the perfect place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Alex R
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We came to the Jane on a recommendation, but perhaps should have taken into consideration exactly how small the bedroom would be. We stayed in one of the bunk bed cabins -- which is actually smaller than a room in a sleeper car. With nowhere to put luggage, our suitcases were on the only available floorspace. The decor of the hotel is very nice and the staff were friendly, but as well as the size of the room we had a few other niggles -- for example the remote turned on both televisions (or sometimes, trying to turn off one TV would instead turn on the other), which was quite irritating. The water in the rooms was a plus, and the shared bathrooms were clean and usually available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Venny C
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I read many reviews before booking the Jane, so I knew our bunk room would be tiny. But just how small was still a surprise! There is barely room to turn around. I don't know what you would do with more than one night's luggage in that room type. Other negatives: the upholstered padding around the bunk smelled - and is inches from your face as you sleep; our AC unit was leaking - not into the room, but the sound was distracting while trying to sleep. The positives: the entire hotel was very cool looking; every staff person we encountered was friendly and helpful; being walking distance to so much - the High Line, restaurants, bars, shops.

That said, the experience was fun & I was able to find a great rate during a very busy (read: pricey) weekend in NY. Don't think I would book somewhere with shared bathrooms again - while they were fairly clean, there's only do much staff can do to minimize smells & such. But that's a personal preference; now I know I'd rather pay more for privacy. Overall, would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012