“Happy little hotel”

The Jane
Ranked #299 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Happy little hotel”
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for one night. It was my first night in NYC I read a reviews about this hotel I wasn't sure at first. But went I got there 2 hours before the checkout time the guy at the reception was persons super cool and friendly he gave me a room in the second floor which I didn't like I asked if I can get another one he immediately gave another one in the 5th floor with little views to the river. I knew it was gonna v small and I didn't care. The room was v cute with tv, radio iPod player( v convenient as I forgot my iPhone charger) and a big fan also c convenient as outside that week was extremely hot 35'c. Sharing the showers wasnt really a problem I quiet like walking through the corridors in just a towel lol most of guest are young tho so not a problem if ur towel slips off. The porters and all the staff were super friendly and cool. Very Good location u can walk to chealse and
All Those fancy bars and clubs. Also what I really liked was the free bikes I took one and I went all the way by the river side around manhattan it was amazing. I loved that bike really really cute. I definately come back there next time I Defo recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank MisterMP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a late review. I spent one night at The Jane on a trip for work. I didn't choose the hotel, and had low expectations, despite the cute website. I stayed in a single room. As expected, the room was narrow..sitting sideways on the bed, my feet could touch the opposite wall. However, the decor made it feel cozy, not claustrophobic. The layout and the design was very smart, with lots of room for storage. it was actually more comfortable than many larger rooms I've stayed in. The location is fantastic. It's a pretty neighborhood that made me feel like I was in a movie about New York. I was with a group of folks, and it was fun having several rooms on the same floor.

The service was mixed. The check-in process was painfully slow and I felt embarrassed about the costumes/ historical uniforms they made the staff wear. When I asked for non-feather pillows though, someone brought them right up and was very sweet about it. Check out was fine. I attempted to eat breakfast in the cute (and empty) restaurant but the waitress was randomly surly and slow. I tried to order at the counter but the staff wouldn't let me. I ended up getting my food only a few minutes before I had to leave for my meeting. So, I probably wouldn't eat at the Jane again, but I would definitely stay there as a single person. The value is much less for the couple rooms though.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank piegirl
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Staff is friendly...hotel is large, the bar is the coolest thing about this hotel. Its dark, red velvet, wooden ceilings and walls which are darkly stained, tiny sconces on the wooden pillars... It's an old world style and the ballroom is quite large and dark...dark..dark.. I was surprised to see how many people were streaming in at 1am on a Tuesday. This place gets hopping. I'd stay here again but it's very basic but is situated in a good area.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
South Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The Jane Hotel is a wonderful find for a short stay in NYC. The cost is very inexpensive - less than 100 per night - and while the bathroom and shower priviledges are shared - EACH of these are private rooms to be locked while in use. The hotel's history as the location where the survivors of the Titanic were taken when they reached NYC is evident in the building itself - the rooms (small replicas of SHIP lodgings) and the entire staff dress the part - desk clerks, doormen, maids, - all in period costume from the early 1900's. I have stayed at this location several times - each time I notice the NEW improvements that the hotel is making to make each stay better. Large flatscreen TVs in each room - free wifi - and the most friendly ENTIRE staff of any location I have found at any hotel in all my travels!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Jane was an amazing experience, yes the rooms are small, but they are charming and the place has a great vibe! The staff are great and very helpful and friendly - They are an asset the the place.
The price is great for this part of the city, close to everything.
The restaurant has great Bloody Mary's.
I will definitely be staying here again on my next trip to NYC!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sag Harbor
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Jane Hotel is supreme in its service for the overnight solution for city goers. I can say I would not want to spend a week in the small state-room like hotel room, but for a last minute, incredibly affordable deal, it did just the trick. The old Maritime Hotel location still keeps its charm while everything felt clean and fresh. The down the hall toilets and showers were no problem and added a sense of Europe to my local stay. Cafe gitane which is in the hotel quenched my appetite perfectly without having to venture far.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the east side of the building, away from the west side highway. There are also roo...