“Good 'ole Plain Jane”

Ranked #301 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Good 'ole Plain Jane”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Returned to the Jane two years after my first visit. (In reference to other recent reviews, I saw no sign of any bugs in 4 days.)
The Jane's rooms are small. The A/C was somewhat noisy but workable. My in-room phone seemed uncooperative. The shared bathrooms/showers are impeccable.
The restaurant on the ground floor (not open during my last visit) has a great granola/fruit/yoghurt breakfast. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The neighborhood is quiet and relaxed. (I never heard any noise from the downstairs club in my room.)
A decent (10-minute) hike to the 14thSt/8th Av. subway.
There is no reason to spend any time in the Jane, but if a room is all you need during a NY visit, the location and the price make it attractive.

2 Thank Marcil1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I rated The Jane as "very good" because for what they provide, they do a good job of delivering. Located off West Street, hard on the Hudson River, the building is 100 years old and apparently was originally a place for merchant sailors to get a room between voyages. The rooms are basically tiny cabins probably 6' wide and 10' deep. built-in bed is cot-width but was comfortable. A/C and wall mounted fan keep the room comfortable. Small window for the claustrophobics. Flat screen TV. Lots of closet space (just kidding). Bathroom is down the hall with fully enclosed johns and showers. If you need an inexpensive place to sleep, or are looking for a quirky adventure in NY, this may be the place. Their website accurately represents what they deliver.

1 Thank milepost99_99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2011

When calling down to reception to report that I ben bitten by bed bugs the front desk staff showed no surprise. They even had a box of after bite right behind them in a draw. I do understand that it can happen anywhere in the city and there is an epidemic. But the blasé way they delt with the situation felt to me that is was a more than regular occurrence.

5 Thank Kateinthecity
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thanks for writing. I'm so sorry to hear that you encountered this problem and that you found the response to be casual. Our intention is to reassure our guests that there is nothing to panic about and that we understand exactly how to treat the problem to prevent the bedbugs from coming along on their travels. If we were ill-prepared for such an occurrence it would be completely irresponsible considering the problem that is currently sweeping through our city. Once again, I apologize that you ran into this issue and that you found our response blasé. This was certainly not our intention.
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I have been a big fan of the Jane since it opened in 2008 (I think). I have stayed here three times - once in March of 2009, Once in March of 2010 and I just got home from my second stay in July of 2011. What I was kind of peeved about is that the Jane no longer allows couples to split single rooms (and while this is annoying, its a great way to save money). My boyfriend and I stayed in a double bunk bed room. Each bunk had its own TV, and the room had an ipod dock. I was SUPER paranoid about bed bugs before we came, but a quick inspection upon arrival showed nothing. I cannot imagine that the Jane is turning a blind eye to the bed bug epidemic in New York, especially with all of the bed press they seem to be getting these days.

Our stay was very comfortable. Yes, the rooms are small, yes, the hotel is noisy with the hopin' bar down below. But it is still a great deal in New York. The only complaint I really have is the patrons of the bar on the weekends. They are annoying pretentious asswipes who like to yell at people in taxis to get out so they can go home and think about the night's bad decisions. But, you know.

My boyfriend did have breakfast at Cafe Gitante on Friday morning which was a breeze to be seated. Every time I passed the cafe on Saturday and Sunday, though, it was mobbed. The cafe was tasty. I had a baked egg salmon thing that was lovely. It was a little small for 7 bucks. But if you dont dig it, there is a multitude of other places around the area. Especially little coffee shops.

The Jane was lovely. Service was lovely. I appreciate the great value as always~

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mollykrichard
Thanks so much for writing! I'm so happy to hear that you have made the Jane your home in New York.

I'd like to clear up the misunderstanding regarding our Standard Cabins. Yes, the room is designed for one. However, if the two of you are comfortable being in such close quarters we do allow you both to stay in a Standard Cabin. We would only recommend this arrangement if you a very close friends : )

If you ever have any trouble with noise or patrons of the bar, please feel free to call down to the front desk. We are more than happy to inform the Ballroom management to address the issue, or to move you to a quieter area of the hotel if another room is available.

Once again, thanks for writing! We will look forward to your next stay…
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed on my owne for two nights, in a single room with shared bath room. It's really like a train cabin 2,5x3meters nothing more. So if you are there for more than two nights book something bigget. The location is great and the staff friendly and helpful, but I would recomend them to give Info about The hotel on check in -I didn't discover the bar before i had checked out. All in all a cool place and they are at the moment building a roof theres which should be really cool:)

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Louise S
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This hotel is in a great location & is great if you want to stay in Manhattan on a budget. I stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights before I took my first ever cruise & I loved it. The rooms resemble a ships cabin (although the cabin I had on my cruise was much bigger, lol). The room I stayed in was the size of a queen size bed, literally. But it had everything I needed. Air conditioning, flat screen TV, radio, even a bathrobe & slippers which came in handy because the bathrooms were shared. The bathrooms are kept very clean & the showers & toilets are in individual locked stalls. The restaurant & bar on site are excellent. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They even have one of those old elevators with a pill box capped operator manning it. As a solo traveller I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I loved my stay at The Jane...so much so that I'll be going back for a few extra days this week. It has a charm and a style that is all it's own. Fantastic area - close to the subway with easy access to everything NYC has to offer, resturants, bars and stores. Staff were helpful and unintrusive. Everything is clean and well cared for. Yes the rooms are teeny tiny - but you know that when your booking so no complaints from me. Great place for a decent price - though don't forget about the tax on top of the charge....it can surprise you at check out!

I think the cafe is a little pricy - but it's a great space (with Vegemite Toast on the menu for those seeking the best hangover cure on earth!) and the service is hit and miss. The bar is also a great space but a little on the pricey side - better off heading for any one of the bars within walking distance. Avoid the convinience store around the corner (Nonno?) - it's really expensive!

Room Tip: if you don't mind a little street noise (it's a busy road) ask for a high floor + river view...