“Living in a neighborhood”

The International Cozy Inn
Ranked #27 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Scholls, Oregon
“Living in a neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent six nights at the ICI. It felt like staying at someone's home - which was nice. That means of course you don't have the cookie-cutter hotel experience. So there was good and not as good. To begin, we thought our rooms were very nice. They have been working on a few rooms there so we started with one and went to another halfway through our stay. I look for places when I travel that are unique and interesting, I look for CLEAN and fairly quiet as well. I got exactly what I wanted. The rooms are indeed clean, there are small kitchens - for me that means coffee in the morning mostly. The showers didn't have a lot of water pressure and the water could have been hotter - but again - it is like staying at someone's home.
For me, the very best part of this was having a chance to live in a neighborhood and Harlem was so interesting. There are always people on the streets walking around, there are lots of churches and little markets around as well.
Michelle explains all the rules when you book (cash up front, etc.) so there were no surprises for us. The subway stops are very close by, so we bought a one week pass and away we went all through the city. I recommend staying here if you are interested in something more intriguing than a box hotel. It was a very fun time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mb_dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked this place based on the reviews on tripadvisor and the information on their website. They react quick by email but the emails were very long and complicated: much text and (house)rules. The price is good, but we rate it average because of the fact we didn't see any staff around when we were there, except for the times checking in and out.

When we arrived we had to pay the full amount and a security fee of 150$ in cash. This was a little inconvenient because we just had a trip of 12 hours and arrived without any dollars in our pocket. The ATMs at the airport terminal couldn't provide us the money we wanted. They don't accept credit cards.

The room is very big and has a small bathroom and a small kitchen with all the appliances you need to cook. Water is hot, and there is a refrigerator. Overall the place looks really clean.

We used to subway to get around in New York which is just around the corner. There are some nice restaurants, supermarkets and ATMs nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms at front give you a real New York experience (and are a bit noisy)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RutgerK
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My mum took me to New york for my 21st back in 2010 and she choose this hotel for us to stay in, my mum not knowing were to stay just assumed everything would be close by which of course this isnt. Not the hotels fault by any means so i cant knock a rating for that :)

It was a little daunting at first with the typical new york 'geezers' hanging around but they were amusing and did not threaten or intimidate at all.

The short subway trip to 5th avenue was easy and the london underground could learn alot from the NY system

AMAZING city cant wait to go back x PS far to hot in May hottest place iv been with out jumping in a pool!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

This year my boyfriend and I were staying for the second time in the ICI.
We were very pleased during our first visit to NY, so when we got back to town we stayed in the same place again. A rare place, super clean and cozy.

The room we booked has a mini kitchen, so we could do late night snacks. We also had a private bathroom. Towels and sheets were changed when we needed. Also we were able to shop online and the owners handed to us when orders arrived.

The Inn is very close to 2 subway stations and surrounded by shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, pharmacies and other conveniences. We love the neighborhood and the neighbors of Harlem. We feel always at home.

Michelle and Ramona are both very nice and helpful.

I know other people who stayed in super expensive hotels near Times Square. These people have paid abusive values and really hated the hotels. They said they were old, poorly maintained, dirty and noisy.
I am proud to have made the right choice!

I hope to return to New York City again and already know where I'll be staying ...
International Cozy Inn for sure! ;)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joyce R
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to stay in NYC without having to drop 300+ per night for a dingy motel in Manhattan and we stumbled on this place. I read a few reviews, mostly positive, but peppered among them were some really bad ones. I suspected that this was probably whiny people who were expecting to pay less than half the price of most places in Manhattan and expect the most luxurious experience. I was right.

Make no mistake, this place is a historic house in an awesome Manhattan neighborhood which will give you a true Harlem experience. Our room was clean, had very cool decor which the owners designed themselves, and what was most impressive is their constant eagerness to help their patrons. They truly go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at home.

Don't come here expecting it to be a pristine room like some 5 star downtown chain hotel. This is a 100 year old house that has been renovated and turned into a Bed & Breakfast style joint. It's super clean, its cozy and stylish, it feels like a home away from home. Staying here is kind of like a taste of how it would be to have a house in Harlem. There are unbelievable bars and lounges and restaurants nearby, which have been visited by celebrities with their pictures on the wall. There is an authentic Jazz bar down the street, open until 4am every night, with bands jamming away. There's a Starbucks, a pharmacy, all sorts of fast food (snore), of course the subway, and basically anything else you would need within very close walking distance. Two blocks gets you to all these spots.

The best part about it was by far the kindness of Ramona and Michelle, who run the place. They're just great and we were so happy we ended up staying here.

We would definitely come back, and we actually met with another couple in NY that saw the room and were floored by it.

Thanks ICI! We'll definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Room 101M has a hot tub... Highly recommended!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PattyGNYC
Monthey, Valais
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hi everybody !
I like to go to New York City once a year and when I go there, I book at the ICI. Since I discovered the Inn on the net, I have stayed two times at the International Cozy Inn and I always had great experiences. Next time I go to Big Apple, I already know where I am gonna stay...
Ramona and Michelle are very helpful and very nice. This place is a family business and you can feel it directly when you arrive. They are very cool and they have always accomodated me. I feel at home once I enter the Inn !
Every rooms have a different them with a special touch in each of them... The ICI is perfectly situated. Just a 2 minutes walk from the subway and the bus stops are just in front. You have restaurants, don't miss Lenox Lounge, and Gospel Church all around. If you wanna go shopping, all the shops are 3 minutes walk from the ICI... I don't have to tell you that shops in Harlem are much more cheaper than Manhattan and 5th Avenue :-)
Finally, I would say that this place is the perfect spot to stay in NYC because the way they treat you is like no other and of course, it's much more cheaper than Manhattan.
Enjoy your stay at the International Cozy Inn !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ThaCet
Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is a review based on my recent 10 night stay in room 3. I would categorise the stay as 'ok'. I didn't love it which was disappointing given all the excellent reviews I read that made me book it.
I think I had slightly high expectations for what they actually provide, and maybe that's my fault but to be paying per night for 10 nights and the bed linen doesn't even get changed once during that whole time I don't think it's great service. This room also has a shared bathroom- which I knew, however it is TINY and sooooo hot. The upkeep of cleanliness in there wasn't up to scratch either really.
I was greeted very well, the girl was super friendly & helpful. After that all I saw was signs saying we are NOT available between these times. So yeah if you leave early & get back late as is the norm in NY you can forget getting any service from them.
Room 3 is very noisy, it faces directly onto the street on the second floor and inside everyone else who is staying there has to walk right past your door.
It was fine for a first timer in NY when I didn't know any better, but it's too hostel-like for my taste and now that I know NY neighbourhoods better I would definitely pay a little more next time for better location & service.

• Stayed September 2012