“Awesome NYC experience”

Ranked #24 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Awesome NYC experience”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to stay in NYC without having to drop 300+ per night for a dingy motel in Manhattan and we stumbled on this place. I read a few reviews, mostly positive, but peppered among them were some really bad ones. I suspected that this was probably whiny people who were expecting to pay less than half the price of most places in Manhattan and expect the most luxurious experience. I was right.

Make no mistake, this place is a historic house in an awesome Manhattan neighborhood which will give you a true Harlem experience. Our room was clean, had very cool decor which the owners designed themselves, and what was most impressive is their constant eagerness to help their patrons. They truly go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at home.

Don't come here expecting it to be a pristine room like some 5 star downtown chain hotel. This is a 100 year old house that has been renovated and turned into a Bed & Breakfast style joint. It's super clean, its cozy and stylish, it feels like a home away from home. Staying here is kind of like a taste of how it would be to have a house in Harlem. There are unbelievable bars and lounges and restaurants nearby, which have been visited by celebrities with their pictures on the wall. There is an authentic Jazz bar down the street, open until 4am every night, with bands jamming away. There's a Starbucks, a pharmacy, all sorts of fast food (snore), of course the subway, and basically anything else you would need within very close walking distance. Two blocks gets you to all these spots.

The best part about it was by far the kindness of Ramona and Michelle, who run the place. They're just great and we were so happy we ended up staying here.

We would definitely come back, and we actually met with another couple in NY that saw the room and were floored by it.

Thanks ICI! We'll definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Room 101M has a hot tub... Highly recommended!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PattyGNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Monthey, Valais
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hi everybody !
I like to go to New York City once a year and when I go there, I book at the ICI. Since I discovered the Inn on the net, I have stayed two times at the International Cozy Inn and I always had great experiences. Next time I go to Big Apple, I already know where I am gonna stay...
Ramona and Michelle are very helpful and very nice. This place is a family business and you can feel it directly when you arrive. They are very cool and they have always accomodated me. I feel at home once I enter the Inn !
Every rooms have a different them with a special touch in each of them... The ICI is perfectly situated. Just a 2 minutes walk from the subway and the bus stops are just in front. You have restaurants, don't miss Lenox Lounge, and Gospel Church all around. If you wanna go shopping, all the shops are 3 minutes walk from the ICI... I don't have to tell you that shops in Harlem are much more cheaper than Manhattan and 5th Avenue :-)
Finally, I would say that this place is the perfect spot to stay in NYC because the way they treat you is like no other and of course, it's much more cheaper than Manhattan.
Enjoy your stay at the International Cozy Inn !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ThaCet
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is a review based on my recent 10 night stay in room 3. I would categorise the stay as 'ok'. I didn't love it which was disappointing given all the excellent reviews I read that made me book it.
I think I had slightly high expectations for what they actually provide, and maybe that's my fault but to be paying per night for 10 nights and the bed linen doesn't even get changed once during that whole time I don't think it's great service. This room also has a shared bathroom- which I knew, however it is TINY and sooooo hot. The upkeep of cleanliness in there wasn't up to scratch either really.
I was greeted very well, the girl was super friendly & helpful. After that all I saw was signs saying we are NOT available between these times. So yeah if you leave early & get back late as is the norm in NY you can forget getting any service from them.
Room 3 is very noisy, it faces directly onto the street on the second floor and inside everyone else who is staying there has to walk right past your door.
It was fine for a first timer in NY when I didn't know any better, but it's too hostel-like for my taste and now that I know NY neighbourhoods better I would definitely pay a little more next time for better location & service.

• Stayed September 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the International Cozy Inn for a month while doing a summer internship in Harlem. I absolutely loved my stay. It is a family owned place and I was greeted very warmly. The owner or one of the staff members is always around to assist you whether it be with room accommodations, information about the area, or ideas for things to do in the city. Upon arrival I was breath taken at the beautiful brownstone that is over 100 years old. I felt like a real New Yorker every morning when leaving the gate. ICI is located right in the center of Harlem, only two blocks from 125th street which is a commercial center for Harlem. I was in walking distance of highly rated restaurants, Columbia University, and Museums. Also there are several subway stations on 125th steet (2blocks away), 116th street (6 blocks), and st. Nicholas ave (5blocks). It is extremely easy to get into Manhattan proper within 30 minutes or less. Also I enjoyed walking to Central Park or Markus Garvey Park in the evenings.

My stay was great. I always felt safe in the area and knew I could look forward to going back to a clean and welcoming environment. The next time I am in New York I will definitely be looking to stay at the international cozy inn again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the ICI for two nights in July. The location is in Harlem, so you need to be ok with that, but 125th Street subway is only a 2 minute walk. Some really good restaurants very close by, the Red Rooster is a must. Rooms are partially renovated, but not too clean overall. Still, good value for money...

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hein-andrea
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Four of us just got back from a trip to New York and spent 10 nights at the ICI248, and I looked forward to describing what a beautiful time we had at the ICI248 and in Harlem.

First, let me say our host(s) Ramona, Michele and Tiffany were so gracious and accommodating and we realllllllllllly thank them for making us feel so much "at home". We also want to extend our thanks to Andre', who was such a hard worker and we can't tell you how happy we were that Andre' took all of our luggage up to each of our rooms (14B on the top floor and room 9 on the third floor). Given it is a historical building they are not allowed to install an elevator, so having Andre' there was such a blessing. I viewed the stairs as my exercise while I was there, but given I am 60 years old, not having the "additional luggage" to cart up was great!

Now about the accommodations - if Ihad one word to describe the place I would use the word "charming", yes, absolutely charming. And let me just say, so know one will think I'm just "green" about travelling - I have travelled to different parts of the world and generally stay at B&B's when I travel, but have been to New York several times and have spent a week at the famous Plaza Hotel and a week at the downtown Marriott, have spent a week at The Ritz in Chicago and a week at the Palmer Hotel in Chicago - all hotels that have been classified as 5 star hotels, and i would take the ICI248 over any of the hotels I just named above.

I would describe the ICI248 as "apartment living", as it has all the amenities you need to care for your own needs, so if you are on a budget you can save money by preparing your own food.. The rooms were so clean and each room had it's own personality. Ramona is so gifted with her eye for decorating and let us even view a few of the other rooms that weren't currently occupied and all I can say is WOW, what talent she has - beautiful, just beautiful. One room even comes with it's own beautiful piano. We are already talking about how we can't wait to come back and stay there again. Even our dear friend who lives in Harlem says she wants to spend the night there!

We love Harlem (I've been to New York at least 12 times and when I don't stay at a Hotel I stay with my friends, who live in Harlem, so I am pretty familiar with how wonderful Harlem is). We were comfortable walking home from the subway in the evening, such as when we walked home from The Appollo. We found the people in Harlem to be very gracious whenever we stopped to ask someone for directions - and I only saw one person begging for money (I'm from the Bay Area and worked in downtown San Francisco, where you can't walk 10 feet without someone begging - so that was a wonderful thing NOT to see). Of course in any large city, you must always be aware of your surroundings and that is true whether you are in New York, S.F., Paris or Amsterdam - every city has it's characters, so you should always be alert to that. But we personally never felt any sense of threat and we saw people walking of all races in Harlem that seemed to feel the same way.

There are so many wonderful eating establishments in Harlem within walking distance and many of them quite economical, so don't be afraid to venture out. You have your upscale restaurants like (Native; Red Rooster; Harlem Tavern, Sylvia's etc.) and your economical places like (Jacobs, and Manna's, and Amy Ruths) just to name a few. (P.S., breakfast at Sylvia's during the weekdays is both economical and delicious). You are also on a direct bus line (the M-7) and three blocks from a main subway (on 125th) - just make sure if you are staying a while that you purchase a 7-day unlimited metro card ($29) and you can go anywhere on the bus or subway and save yourself a lot of money, as you are literally just minutes away from all the tourist areas (Central Park; 42nd Street; Greenwich Village, etc., etc.).

So if you are looking for a charming place to stay at reasonable rates and want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist areas, I would definitely reccommend that you consider staying at the ICI248!

Room Tip: There are about 18 stairs (yes, I counted) between each floor, so if you are stair challenged ask fo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

A few blocks away from gorgeous Central Park is The International Cozy Inn, in Harlem - a wonderful place to stay while you're visiting NYC. It's tucked away in Harlem, out of the hustle/bustle of touristy places to stay in Manhattan - but you're just a few subway stops away in terms of seeing said touristy spots. The management of this inn speaks tons about the pride of ownership. They are very particular about it's cleanliness and very few, basic rules such as requesting not to put luggage on beds and to respect the general accommodations. I would make the same rules! No bedbugs or bugs of any kind! Management goes to extreme measures to clean rooms before they are let out again. All bedding and mattresses are steam cleaned! Our room had three comfortable beds with fresh linens, a private bathroom, and a kitchenette, which was great because we saved money by cooking our own meals (there is a great market just up the street where you can buy everything you need! there are also lots of other types of shops in the area where you can get a hair cut, have a drink, pick up pharmacy items, etc. etc.). We had air conditioning, which was sorely required when we were in NYC as it was unseasonably warm. The cleaning/maintenance staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. Michelle, who helps to manage the inn with her parents, responds quickly to email and in-person requests. She is extremely friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is relaxed. This is not your cookie cutter hotel room! This is a unique place to stay in a safe, quiet, vibrant neighbourhood. On the walls of the inn, you can see many pictures of travellers who stayed there. We stayed on the top floor which required walking (I think) four flights, which was not a problem for us, but may be a challenge if you are in a wheelchair. We saved so much money by staying here as opposed to in one of the other touristy areas, that we were able to stay another day in NYC and make a few shopping/dinner splurges. I would absolutely recommend this inn to everyone who is looking for something off the beaten path. I miss it already and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have a private bathroom, so just be sure that you are booking the room that best s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family