“My go to place in NY”

Ranked #26 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Boston
“My go to place in NY”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I have been a guest at the ICI multiple times (at least 8) over the last two years, and I will continue to return when I travel to New York. First, the location is great- whether you are visiting friends in Harlem or looking to take in famous NYC sites. The 2,3 is practically out the front door and other subway lines are only a few blocks away. Second, you cannot beat the price! You really can't find more affordable accommodations in NY (believe me, I've looked!). And a lot of the rooms have a kitchenette, which is great for extended stays. Three, Harlem is a great neighborhood...awesome food, amazing history, and people are friendly. Finally, what keeps me coming back to ICI is Ramona & Michelle. This is a family owned business. They take pride in taking care of their guests & making them feel at home. Need proof? Just check out all the photos of the smiling guests that line their walls! (Oh, and be sure to look for the photo of Jay-Z on the stoop!). My only hesitation about writing such a good review is that this little gem will book up before my next trip. Love this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sara J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
daswo
Reviewed April 10, 2012

You think that by going to ICI Cozy International you are getting a bargain - but by the time you pay the deposit, cash up front and refundable deposit - plus travel into and out of city - you end up spending as much as though you were in a Time Square Hotel!!!
My partner and I chose this establishment based on previous reviews and thought that it would be a bargain in up and coming Harlem - well let me tell you Harlem is anything but up and coming - what a dump! Its pretty bad when the airport security tells you that you should have picked another area and taxi drivers don't want to take you to your destination. We were in our room by 9pm every night because it is so bad.
Turning to the accommodation - this place seems more like a halfway house - there are rooms being rented to family members and giving the entire money upfront seemed a little dodgy to us. Anyhow, we were there - we knew when we pulled up that this was a mistake right away. We were taken to our room - 60 stairs up (no elevator beware) to a dingy room. All the electric sockets were burnt out, the window treatments were made some form of blanket material which did not cover the window entirely therefore letting light into room. We were asked not to place items on bedspread - why - we checked the "bedspread" - it was an old curtain lol! The kitchen was functional if not prehistoric. The bathroom was pretty bad. There was a window above bath/shower. Some attempt had been made to cover - curtain rail with curtain hooks - just no curtain - guess they ran out of blankets... The shower did work well - so that was one saving grace. The furnishings in bathroom looked 1970's. The bed was extremely lumpy - and they mentioned that they prided themselves in no bedbugs (somewhat of a problem in NYC) but both myself and my partner were constantly itching in bed - so make of that what you will...
The staff were very friendly - well the young women that my partner and I met. There was constant renovation work going on on several floors - so if you were not up by 9am - you were either woken up by the light coming through the non existence of window coverings or the workmen.
I am sorry to say I cannot recommend the Cozy International Inn - pay a little extra and go to a real hotel and stay out of Harlem. We really wanted to like this place but it was horrible.
You have been warned!

Room Tip: Don't stay here - sorry that's the only thing I can recommend here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank daswo
Hialeah, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I searched all day for an affordable place for my weekend trip to New York. I finally came across ICI. The room was lovely. Location was ideal. 1 block and a half away from the train station. Wonderful restaurants just down the street. 20 minutes walking distance from Central Park. The Staff was super super nice! Thanks to Eleese, Ramona, and Michelle for all of your help and hospitality. From: Cat & Pat!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine M
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My 2 adult children and I stayed here for a week and really enjoyed ourselves and felt at home. It is so convenient to subway restaurants, supermarkets and central park. I was surprised at how relaxed I felt in Harlem. A great lounge with band a few doors away too...the Lennox Lounge, where we were also warmly welcomed.
The room was very clean and smelt fresh, and heating was good despite the snow.
The shower was hard to get right and very small, but did the job. The queen mattress sagged a little, but we slept well as was very quiet.
I was also concerned about paying the whole cost upfront, but checked the room first and am pleased that they are very aware of bedbugs and go to efforts to avoid them which have been successful.
We really did enjoy this area more than downtown NY and would gladly return.

Room Tip: Be aware of stairs. We treated them as good exercise
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We( family of 3) stayed Nov 23 - 26, 2011 and will return. It was inexpensive, a 2 minute walk to the subway, and very clean. Staff was helpful and the neighborhood is safe and had some real architectural treasures. It was small but you can't complain for the price. Besides, who goes to NYC and spends time in the room?

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 3StrayCats
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My friend and I spent a week here. We were on the top floor (4 flights) so was a bit of a trek up and down the stairs each day! With a shared toilet/shower, which was clean and on the same floor. Service was friendly. Rooms were clean. Great that there is a kitchen with most utensils (although some pots and containers were still greasy from previous guests). TV didn't work, but they were quick to fix this the next day. It was a small room and a little cramped for 2. The decor was funky. Although Harlem is a much safer place these days, we did feel a little wary on some parts of Lenox Ave when walking at night to the subway. However after some days found that the no.7 bus goes right up to the door, from lower East side of Manhattan.
It's a bit out of the way from central Manhattan, but public transport is good.
So a folder with information like that, local eateries, laundry facilities, grocery etc, would be helpful.
All in all, I would recommend it, and would stay again.

Room Tip: I'd get a private bathroom, but having said that, the shared bathroom was with one other room an...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AichZed
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2011

If you're looking for a good place to stay while visiting NYC, then the International Cozy Inn is a great place to do so. The prices are very reasonable and the owners and staff are soooo friendly. We arrived on a Tuesday, several hours after normal checking-in hours, but they were very accommodating. We had booked Room 5 for a week and we were all pleasantly surprised when we walked in! The room very nicely decorated, with a small bathroom and kitchenette, plus a big screen TV :) Michelle and Ramona let us feel right at home, answering all our questions and letting us know that we were indeed safe with them.
The ICI is situated in Harlem and is 2 blocks away from the subway, where you can hop on either a 2 or 3 train to get to Times Square in 15mins. It was lovely seeing Harlem on the weekend, with music and dancing and wonderful local flavour. For four Londoners it was a fascinating thing to see the streets come alive after dark.
There are plenty of places to eat down the street, including the famous 'Sylvia's' which serves up delicious soul food. Unfortunately we found this place a bit too late in our stay and so could only fit in one visit.
So, if you're looking for a nice, reasonable place to stay that is away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but is still conveniently near.... ICI might be the place for you. We will all definitely come back!!! Xx

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends