“The worst in it's class!”

The GEM Hotel Chelsea
Ranked #296 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stay in NY approximately 45 nights a year and have stayed in the Hilton, Sheraton, Wyndham and a few other hotels - they all cost about the same as the GEM but provide a much much better deal all around - below is a part of the email I sent to the hotel management to which I got a template response from Choice (the hotel chain) and, as expected, no response from the hotel

1 - it's the smallest room I had in NY at this price range - not sure what they can do about this but it is what it is
2 - no bathtub - I would not have taken a room if I knew this - would have been decent to mention it on the site (the W hotel for example mentions when a room doesn't have a bathtub)
3 - they have no real work desk - the chair they provide has no back support - it’s a dinning chair
4 - the desk that they do have was shabby and the Formica was completely chipped off - looks like something you find in a yard sale ( room 516 )
5 - the safe wasn't connected to the closet - you can simply take the whole safe and walk away if you want to
6 - the instructions on the safe are incorrect and I had to call the front desk for the correct instructions to operate the safe
7 - there is no proper place to place the coffee maker - hey what can you do when the room is so small…
8 - the running machines at the gym have a problem with static electricity and they suddenly stopped while I was running - the same problem happened on both machines and as a semi professional athlete I have used MANY such machines and I am certain there is a problem with them
9 - the water machine at the gym was not working - I call the front desk to ask them to send me a bottle of water downstairs and was answered that "we do not have the personal to do this" - it was the middle of the day and they had no traffic at that time - if they cared at all they would have grabbed a bottle and brought it downstairs and got the house service to do this - 20 minutes after I spoke to them I accidentally saw the cleaning lady through the glass and asked her to bring me some water which she did with a smile
10 - As I was getting annoyed with the place I called the front desk from my room and asked if there is a cancellation fee if I am to check out earlier than originally booked - I was told that they will check it and get back to me in 5 minutes - 2 hours later no one got back to me and when I went out I asked him what is the answer and why he didn't get back to me and he said that there is no fee and he just got the answer - I asked him why he didn’t call me after 5 minutes to let me know that it will take him more time to get an answer and he had no intelligent answer for me
11 - the radio in the room didn't work - I called the front desk and asked them to replace it - they said they will have it replaced in the morning - it wasn't done

I am probably forgetting something but I think this gives you a good idea of the great time I had in this hotel

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Ariel55522
GEMhotelChelseaGM, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2010

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The GEM Hotel. It is only with feedback from our valued guests that we can continue to strive to improve our services and accomodation. It is our mission to ensure that we satisfy all our guests and I apologize that your stay was not up to the level that you deserve and expect from staying at the GEM Hotel Chelsea. We appreciate your insight and I would like to discuss your experience further with you. At your convenience, I can be reached at 212-675-1911 or via e-mail at chelsea.gm@thegemhotel.com. I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

Well, The location is perfect! Walk distance from subway, groceries, drugstore, Chelsea market...The Hotel is clean, nice, good looking but the room was the smallest bedroom I ever had in my traveller life!!!! Its was my 3rd time in NYC and I was with a friend, we ask for 2 separate bed but they dont have this setup.

So these rooms are made for intimate couple not friends! But we survived!

Behind that, the hotel is very clean et well decorated. The concierges are very kind.
I recommend this hotel but dont pay the full price! They are much spacious rooms in NYC for this price (and with great look and location...)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank misspixels

Thank you for your posting. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the GEM Hotel Chelsea and hope to see you again during your next stay. Please feel free to contact me at 212-675-1911 or by email at chelsea.gm@thegemhotel.com so that I can provide you the best room and best rate available for your next stay.

Reviewed July 3, 2010

This is really a great hotel if you're looking for a good location to explore New York and aren't willing to pay Manhattan prices:)). Located in Chelsea, in a safe neighborhood, it is ideal for exploring Manhattan on foot during daytime and having a great time eating and chilling out in the nearby Meatpacking District at night.
Rooms are NYC style - extremely small, but with nice, modern-style decoration and relatively quiet (although our overlooked the 22nd street!!). The hotel offers a tiny gym in the basement, and a "business center" with free internet connection (although get ready for queuing as there is only one mac available).
The only drawback is the lack of a restaurant or a bar. But again, there are plenty of good places just around the corner where you can have a typical american-style breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Eric K, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Greetings traveler!

Thank you for your feedback on our property and please know that we strive to do any and everything to make our guests' stay as memorable as it can be.

We haven't heard back from you in a long time and we are proud to let you know that we've undergone many changes and improvements. We hope to have you back for the better, improved GEM Chelsea!

Please feel free to let us know at chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com should you wish to make a return trip to us and we will gladly be of your service once again.

Thank you.

Warm regards,

Eric Kwon
The GEM Hotel at Chelsea

Reviewed May 27, 2010

We checked in late on a Friday night. We had called the hotel from San Francisco and told them we were definitely on our way. We were traveling with my sister and brother-in-law and had requested 2 outside rooms on a high floor. When we got to the hotel at about 12:30 in the morning, they only had one room left. The hotel was full and most of New York City was sold out. They sent my husband and me to another hotel for the night. They checked my sister into a larger room than what she had reserved but told her they were only charging her for the room she reserved and this rate was valid for 4 nights.
We finally got back to the hotel the next day and they gave us a key. We went up to the fourth floor and our room was an inside room. The window looked at a brick wall. It was claustrophobic and, frankly, unsafe if there had been a fire. We called the front desk. They sent someone upstairs with another key for a similar room across the hall that looked out on 8th avenue. After about 14 hours in New York, we finally got into the room we had requested originally.
The rooms are tiny. The closets are only about two feet wide and can’t even accommodate the length of a short dress or a man’s shirt. There are NO drawers in the room to put clothes away. You are forced to live out of your suitcase. The air conditioning sounded like the subway was coming through our room.
When we checked out the management had doubled the rate for my sister’s room because “The guy at the front desk had no right to give her this room at a reduced rate”. The manager was rude and totally unapologetic for everything they had put us through. There was never an apology for sending us to another hotel the first night and there was never an apology for the way they treated my sister.
When we got home I wrote a letter to “Choice Hotels” and The GEM hotel about what happened to us. The manager of the GEM reversed the charges on my sister’s credit card. Eventually, someone from the executive offices at Choice Hotels called to see if the charges had been reversed. Choice Hotels only cared that the charges had been reversed. They didn’t seem to care when I told them that we would never stay there again. There was no apology for the poor service.
This hotel did something every day we were there to upset us. We are not fussy people. I worked for an airline for 17 years and I know bad customer service when I see it. I would not stay at the GEM hotel if the rooms were free.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank bjrad
GEMhotelChelseaGM, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The GEM Hotel Chelsea. I apologize that your stay was not up to the level that we take pride in providing to our guests. I have personally spoken with a gentleman from your party after receiving your letter as he was referred to me as the point of contact apologizing and reconciling the issues to his satisfaction. We have addressed these issues and hope to be given the chance to regain your confidence. Please contact me at chelsea.gm@thegemhotel.com at your convenience for further feedback. I hope to hear from you.
The GEM Hotel Chelsea

Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel. As we were sightseeing on foot this hotel has a great location for a lot of attractions on Manhattan and we will recommend this hotel if you are going with your partner. Not with children. The room was quiet small but very nice. The front desk was very helpfull and the service was great. A lot of good restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Selleri
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Great location with subway stations within short walking distance.
All sorts of delis, restaurant, grocery shops, supermarkets, take away food in the surroundings. Close to several comedy clubs.
Staff helpful when asked.
Tiny room not suitable if you have a lot of luggage. Bedding of very good quality. Free wifi which is so great !
No view for most rooms (therefore fairly quiet, which becomes important after a whole day trotting along the streets...).
Cleaning rather erratic, especially the bathroom however always above an average standard.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This is an awesome value for New York in a very central Chelsea location. The rooms are "chic minimalism" at its best with just enough of everything and very comfortable mattresses (I fell asleep within a minute of lying down every night!). The Gem Hotels are the only hotels I'll be staying in from now on....really can't get better than this for the value!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo