“Do Not Stay at the GEM Hotel Cheslea”

The GEM Hotel Chelsea
Ranked #301 of 468 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Do Not Stay at the GEM Hotel Cheslea”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We checked in late on a Friday night. We had called the hotel from San Francisco and told them we were definitely on our way. We were traveling with my sister and brother-in-law and had requested 2 outside rooms on a high floor. When we got to the hotel at about 12:30 in the morning, they only had one room left. The hotel was full and most of New York City was sold out. They sent my husband and me to another hotel for the night. They checked my sister into a larger room than what she had reserved but told her they were only charging her for the room she reserved and this rate was valid for 4 nights.
We finally got back to the hotel the next day and they gave us a key. We went up to the fourth floor and our room was an inside room. The window looked at a brick wall. It was claustrophobic and, frankly, unsafe if there had been a fire. We called the front desk. They sent someone upstairs with another key for a similar room across the hall that looked out on 8th avenue. After about 14 hours in New York, we finally got into the room we had requested originally.
The rooms are tiny. The closets are only about two feet wide and can’t even accommodate the length of a short dress or a man’s shirt. There are NO drawers in the room to put clothes away. You are forced to live out of your suitcase. The air conditioning sounded like the subway was coming through our room.
When we checked out the management had doubled the rate for my sister’s room because “The guy at the front desk had no right to give her this room at a reduced rate”. The manager was rude and totally unapologetic for everything they had put us through. There was never an apology for sending us to another hotel the first night and there was never an apology for the way they treated my sister.
When we got home I wrote a letter to “Choice Hotels” and The GEM hotel about what happened to us. The manager of the GEM reversed the charges on my sister’s credit card. Eventually, someone from the executive offices at Choice Hotels called to see if the charges had been reversed. Choice Hotels only cared that the charges had been reversed. They didn’t seem to care when I told them that we would never stay there again. There was no apology for the poor service.
This hotel did something every day we were there to upset us. We are not fussy people. I worked for an airline for 17 years and I know bad customer service when I see it. I would not stay at the GEM hotel if the rooms were free.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bjrad
GEMhotelChelseaGM, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The GEM Hotel Chelsea. I apologize that your stay was not up to the level that we take pride in providing to our guests. I have personally spoken with a gentleman from your party after receiving your letter as he was referred to me as the point of contact apologizing and reconciling the issues to his satisfaction. We have addressed these issues and hope to be given the chance to regain your confidence. Please contact me at chelsea.gm@thegemhotel.com at your convenience for further feedback. I hope to hear from you.
Philip Cham
The GEM Hotel Chelsea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel. As we were sightseeing on foot this hotel has a great location for a lot of attractions on Manhattan and we will recommend this hotel if you are going with your partner. Not with children. The room was quiet small but very nice. The front desk was very helpfull and the service was great. A lot of good restaurants in the area.

1 Thank Selleri
Lyon, France
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Great location with subway stations within short walking distance.
All sorts of delis, restaurant, grocery shops, supermarkets, take away food in the surroundings. Close to several comedy clubs.
Staff helpful when asked.
Tiny room not suitable if you have a lot of luggage. Bedding of very good quality. Free wifi which is so great !
No view for most rooms (therefore fairly quiet, which becomes important after a whole day trotting along the streets...).
Cleaning rather erratic, especially the bathroom however always above an average standard.

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This is an awesome value for New York in a very central Chelsea location. The rooms are "chic minimalism" at its best with just enough of everything and very comfortable mattresses (I fell asleep within a minute of lying down every night!). The Gem Hotels are the only hotels I'll be staying in from now on....really can't get better than this for the value!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Great Hotel Location, in quiter area of New York. Streets lined with Trees and well kept houses, looks just like the film set of many a movie/tv show, with many flamboyant friendly residents. When out on my own as a single female I always felt safe!! For eating the hotel is a few mins walk to either a Cafe or deli's for a quick sandwich to fantastic italian/Thai restaurants. Their are many bars to suit any mood from a quite drink to all night parties. The Hotel staff are so friendly and helpful, the rooms are not the most spacious but adaquate and bed very comfortable, for smokers their is a quite roof top seating area from where you can see the Empire State Building, i recomend sitting there of an eveing with a bottle of wine. As the hotel has no bar or restaurant you are able to keep drink/eating bills within budget to suit yourself and the hotel have no objections to takeaway deliveires either which is great. Hotel also free wifi and a computer room with printer for guests which is great to if you are coming in from abroad and a cheap way to keep intouch with friends and family and print off air tickets etc. Im going back to this hotel wouldnt stay anywhere else in new york, i loved it. sharon ward uk.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
swampscott
Reviewed May 13, 2010

After years of staying in Midtown, I attended a conference and had the opportunity to stay in the Chelsea neighborhood. The Gem was perfect. I stayed there two nights and it was close to the meatpacking district where I walked to the conference. Convenient to restaurants and shops, I also had the opportunity to take a walk on the newly constructed park/walkway. The hotel was clean, wonderful service and reasonably priced. I would stay there again, even on vacation. Chelsea is a wonderful neighborhood - I spoke with a lot of residents and met a lot of dogs! Great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed May 7, 2010

This hotel is extremely well situated and is very near (one block) to two different metro stations and several different lines, which makes travelling up or downtown easy. Loads of coffee shops, delis and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is clean, and linen and towels changed daily if you wish. Front desk staff are courteous. There was some noise from traffic, but I would say this was not intrusive and adds to the NY atmosphere you love in this exciting town! The not-so-good news? The room is compact and the bed is very small - 4' x 6' at the most - ours was also fixed against one wall making it even more of a crush! We had difficulty securing the door to the room, but reported this to the front desk who we trust fixed it in time this for the next guests. That said, I would definitely recommend this hotel as a good one to stay in if you are in town for a short sight-seeing break and you need somewhere clean, safe neighbourhood and well situated.