“You Can Walk to it All”

Ranked #307 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was a great little hotel in walking distance to much you may like to see in NY. I walked to the Empire State Building, MOMA, Grand Central Station, Korea town, the NY public library, and Rockerfeller Center.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank April K
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Greetings April K, thank you so much for sharing your lovely review. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed our delightful hotel and found us near to your areas of activities. I have to say that you do a lot of walking and it is our dearest pleasure to create the most relaxing stay. We look forward to having you as our guest once again and promise to make another charming experience.

212.675.1911 Ext 104

Write a ReviewReviews (1,280)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Reasonable price, but the fitness center, business center, bar and restaurant were closed when I visited, wifi speed was slow, and I couldn't turn off the incredibly bright alarm clock. I do not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear John O, thank you for sharing your recent review with us. I am saddened to hear that your stay was less than flawless. I apologize that our fitness center and business center were not available during your recent stay, but please allow me to explain why. We are currently in the process of making our hotel better and more enjoyable for all of our dear guests, such as you. In the next few months, will have a bar/lounge with a new lobby and other exciting things that are going to take place. We have identified the concerns with our internet connectivity and have corrected these issues with our providers. It is our pleasure to be of service to you and upmost dedication to create a memorable and relaxing stay. I hope that you can give us another opportunity to truly wow you and provide the expereince that you deserve and expect from us.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Very nice hotel. Our room was small but very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel is located in a great area. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great restaurant located next door. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Greeting Tripadvisor Member, thank you so much for sharing your stellar review with us. We are so privileged to have the opportunity to be of service and creating a wonderful experience is our undivided passion. It is so rewarding that enjoyed our hospitality and that our staff was the highlight of your visit. I am glad that our location was convenient to you and I hope you had time to explore some of the amazing art galleries Chelsea has to offer. It is our undivided commitment to provide superior cleanliness and amenities so your stay is most memorable and special. We are honored that you would stay with us again and can’t wait to provide another amazing experience.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Will return and recommend to others. Elevator breaks down often. Didn't care for turn down service.... Should be optional. Continental breakfast would be nice or warm chic chop cookies on arrival. Overall enjoyed!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greetings Virgillio B, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are so grateful that you would recommend us to others. I sincerely apologize that our elevator has caused you distresses during your stay. We have corrected the issue with our service provider and the elevator is safe and operational. It is very important for us to make sure that your stay is flawless and providing turn down service is our gratitude to you for being our dear guest. Your comments and feedback are taken with high importance and we will certainly do what we can do assure you that your next return is superb.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have stayed at the GEM Chelsea twice now, once for four or five nights in December and again for one night in February. I have to travel on a government rate for my job and it is hard to find places that will accommodate it. I really liked e GEM in December (keeping in mind that it does not claim to be a 4-star property!) and though they have not been able to offer the govt rate for my several rips in between then and now, I was pleased to be able to get it this time.

The room is tiny, as is the bathroom, but what do you expect for the price? What I like is that is is clean (I was in the same room in Feb that they gave me in Dec and they had replaced the carpet in the meantime--much nicer)--both the bedroom and the bathroom feel fresh and are decorated in whites and greys--simple in a way that does not feel like they are trying to cover up dirt.

The location is very convenient to downtown and all over the West Side. If you're willing to walk a bit, it can work well for the East Side too. There is an excellent restaurant right next door, as well as a number of less expensive options.

I come to New York at least twice a month and my office here is convenient to the GEM. I will continue to stay here whenever they can accommodate the government rate. It is a good home base with friendly staff and a lot more going for it.

Room Tip: I think there are some rooms without windows, so you should ask about his when you book.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TripsPlease

Greetings TripsPlease, we are so privileged to read your pleasant review and for the opportunity to serve you. I am glad that you are a frequent reviewer on Tripadvisor and we are all thankful that you have taken your valuable time to write about your experience with us. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed our charming location and found us nearby to your areas of activities. It is exciting to know that we are your hotel of choice when you visit Chelsea and it is our upmost commitment to make you feel comfortable and relaxed each and every moment. I agree with you, being close to the subway station is very convenient for dear guests to go uptown and downtown in a few short stops. Your kind words about our staff will forever be treasured and we are motivated that you have felt the warmth of our personalized service. It is our devotion to provide the finest quality of service because we want you to feel special and unique. Please, contact me for your next return at chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com and it be pleasure to accommodate the government rate for you. We are glad that you enjoyed some of the restaurants in our area and we too recommend Foragers Table. I would like to assure you that every elegant appointed guest room has a window. We would be grateful to have you as our special guest and create another indulging stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We recently stayed here and it was terrible. The thermostats in the rooms did not read correctly and it was unbearably hot, despite having the A/C on in the middle of winter. It took forever to check in. I think the most bothersome part of this hotel is that they are doing renovations and made no mention of this on their website. People should have to option to stay at a hotel, for FULL price no less, when renovations are being done. They advertise having a hotel lobby and bar which did not exist, a rooftop terrace with a bar which did not exist, no room service even if we wanted it etc. I understand that these things happen with a hotel however the customer needs to be made aware of it before staying somewhere with hundreds of hotel options in NYC. There was 1 plastic chair on top of the front desk to sit in if needed. Truly appalling and I will never stay in this hotel again. I have stayed in many hotels in NYC and where the size of the room was deceiving on the website, this is often the case and where we were disappointed, it was not surprising. I truly feel something should have been offered at the hotel such as a food voucher, coffee voucher or truthfully a discount on the room as we did not get even close to what was advertised or even close to the standards of what the hotel claims to be.
DO NOT waste your money on this hotel. Things could be different once renovations are complete however they do not look even close to finished and it is very difficult to envision anything in the lobby.

VERY noisy all the time.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Jonathan M, first and foremost I would like to thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us and for the privilege to serve you. I am very upset to know that we did not exceed your expectations during your most recent stay and would like to sincerely apologize to you for having to deal with uncomfortable moments, instead of spending time enjoying your stay. Please, allow me to assure you that I have communicated with my team to ensure superior standards are carried out and followed. I understand that your comfort and relaxation was disturbed and it is our passion to provide services that are exceptional to our dear guests, like you, and allow me to affirm that we would never attempt to mislead you. We currently do not have a lounge/bar, but we will have one once our non-intrusive renovations are completed at the lobby level. If it is fine with you to send me an e-mail with your full name to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com, I would like to have our maintenance team inspect the heating unit in your guest room because we are committed to have everything in perfect working conditions. We strive to make each stay as memorable and hope that you can give us another opportunity to make every effort to provide the true experience that you deserve and expect. I remain at your complete disposal and will personally make sure your next stay is truly one of a kind.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Wow.....I really wanted to like this place, as I have 2 companies with the word "gem" in their name. Lobby is a dump, rooms are small and humid ~ and the heater was broken on about 92 degrees.....hot as H- E L L.......
The staff was really nice, and really just doing the best they could with the run down conditions of the place.

Next time it is the Andaz Hotel for me.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Michelle F, we thank you for sharing your review with us and for the privilege to serve you. It is our everyday commitment to provide a unique and memorable experience for all our guests. Your kind words about our staff are very special to us and we are inspired that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. On the other hand, with deep concern I would like to apologize about the disappointing moments you encountered, instead of spending time enjoying your stay. Allow me to let you know that all your comments are taken with upmost importance because feedback like yours is our inspiration for success and new accomplishments. If it is fine with you to send me an e-mail with your full name to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com, I would like to have our chief engineer inspect the heating unit in your guest room because we are devoted to have our guests enjoy their stays with us and have everything in perfect working conditions. We hope to welcome you as our dear guest again and I would personally like to oversee your future reservations to have the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.