“Blood in the sheets”

Ranked #296 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Nice little hotel, paid $119 on hotels tonight. Likely you could negotiate with the front desk for $65, as they would be making more than with the booking from Hotels tonight and it costs less than $25 to change a room.

Lobby is nice
Front desk staff helpful
Room very small even for inexpensive in NYC hotels

Went to bed very tired. In the morning I found the sheets had several blood stains. After a quick self-exam I realized I had no cuts or scrapes or scabs... so very unlikely the blood is mine. Most interestingly, the blood was on the top and bottom sheets. So what does this lead us to conclude?

Either I am bleeding and do not know it
or
When they change the sheets and clean them and put them back they check for blood stains and make sure to get bloody top & bottom sheets on the same beds
or
So many sheets in this hotel are blood stained that even with the volume and randomness of laundry; pairs of sheets with blood stains end up in the same bed
or
Someone slept in this bed before me, bled on the sheets and the sheets were not changed....

Disgusting as it sounds, option 3 is the most likely......

Would I stay here again, sure, I would just demand they change the sheets at check in while I watched.

The rest of the place was clean...

Room Tip: Make them change the sheets when you check in and watch.....
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Bill P, thank you so much for taking your valuable time to share your stay experience with us. I am deeply sorry that you had to experience an inconvenience of such kind at our hotel. Your comments and concerns enrich our spirits to service our guests at a higher level. I understand how you feel and agree consistency should be carried out in the same manner. We greatly care about your loyalty to us and our staff always strives to ensure the complete satisfaction of our dear guests. I understand that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay and promise you that I will work with our housekeeping team to ensure that such issues will not occur. I would like to discuss your stay with you personally and do everything that I can to make it right by you. My e-mail address is chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com. Your sincere words about our front office staff are greatly motivating and inspiring. The front office team will be so thrilled to know that you remembered them for their warm hospitality. We would be honored to have the opportunity to welcome you back again to provide you a unique GEM experience that you expect and deserve. I remain at your complete disposal and will personally make sure your next visit with us is truly one of a kind.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

The hotel has a great location in Chelsea, closer to restaurants, bakeries and the subway.

The rooms are really small, and it was difficult to find a place for our suitcases. But the shower was great, amenities were of a very high quality and the bed is very comfortable.

I would stay here again if the artes were decent.

Room Tip: Side fomos have no view, but are the most silent ones.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Happy Holidays LuizDomanski, thank for sharing your review with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our charming location and found close by to many exquisite restaurants. I agree with you, the subway is very convenient for dear guests to go uptown and downtown in a few short stops. It is our upmost priority to make sure our guest rooms have superior cleanliness and amenities so your stay is always special and relaxing. I would like for you to know that we do offer larger business class rooms that provide more space and overall comfort. We hope to welcome you back and are committed to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Our room was on the small side, but for a one or two night trip, it was totally doable. It was styled very nicely. The room and hotel overall were very clean, and the staff was fantastic. I also found the bed extremely comfortable!

The biggest downside was the noise outside at night, but then again, it is New York. I'm sure it's an older building with older insulation so noise blockage isn't as great. But, I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Greetings Claire E, we are so privileged to read your pleasant review and for the opportunity to serve you. I saw that you are a frequent reviewer on Tripadvisor and we are thankful that you have taken your valuable time to write about your experience with us. It is our upmost commitment to make you feel comfortable and relaxed each and every moment. Your kind words about our staff will be forever cherished and we are motivated that you have felt the warmth of our personalized service. It is our devotion to provide the finest quality of service because we want your stay to be memorable and unique. We are saddened to know that your comfort was disturbed by the noise levels from outside and would be grateful to have you as our guest once again and promise to create the most indulging stay.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

This hotel is easy to find. It's located in a great neighborhood that has a lot of places to eat and shops to check out. You're a bus or train ride away from the main city parts. So, if you want to check out New York, this is a pretty good spot.
The check-in was easy, the staff super friendly and helpful. The lobby is pretty chic and modern and very open and it has t.vs' so you can have a seat if you have to wait around for someone or something.
The elevator is small but nice, the hallways the same. It's very clean. The hallway had pretty dim lighting, so it gave it a mysterious and comfy feel.
The room... It was small! (I'm 5'1, so I for right in) It was very clean and neat. It had a nice big flat screen, an ipod dock, a cool funky cordless phone, a coffee maker and a complimentary water bottle. The bed was big and comfy. It was pretty close to the floor though. (if that's an issue for you)
There was a nice small closet to hang up your stuff, and ironing board and an iron. Also, an extra roll of toilet paper, if you should happen to run out.
A safe deposit box BUT if you wanted to use it, they charge you for each use. ( :/ )
The bathroom was my favorite! It was a pretty good size, guess it was a good call to take some space from the room to make the bathroom the size it was. Good toilet, nice sink and the shower has no tub, it's a stand up shower. The shower head was big ( a little weak on the water power, but okay!) They give you the small shampoo and typical stuff like that but you don't really need to use the shampoo or body wash because they have dispensers in the shower.
I headed out to the Halloween parade and got back around 1030/11 and I had to use my key card to get into the hotel front door. (Nice security measure)
The next morning however, I was woken up by the sound of a fire alarm that kept going on and off. This happened twice, the second time there was an announcement over the buildings intercom saying there was no need for alarm and to excuse the interruption. (not too happy with being woken up at 8 a.m but hey, what can you do)
Overall, my stay was good and I would stay there again if I could. For the price and the service, it's worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 202 side have no view of anything, just another building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings Bellabluu, I would like to personally thank you for writing such a detailed review about your stay with us. We are honored that you have chosen our elegant hotel for your visit on Halloween! We are so thrilled that you enjoyed our charming location and found so many interesting shops and wonderful restaurants nearby. It is our dearest pleasure to provide superior accommodations and amenities because making you feel truly special and unique is our upmost priority. We are glad you felt comfortable in your guest room that we so passionately prepare just for you. Your kind words about our staff will forever be treasured and I will most certainly share your compliments with them. I am pleased that your guest room and the spacious bathroom design were to your liking. I understand that your relaxation was disturbed due to the fire alarm that went off during the early morning of your stay. The issue with the fire alarm has been corrected and we are monitoring our systems closely to ensure that such distresses do not occur. We would be grateful to welcome you back and create the most memorable stay you deserve and expect.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Gem is a nice quiet small hotel with really nice accommodating staff all around. Room very small but workable and clean, and staff will go out of the way to assist.
Location is key here. Not typical Times Sq tourist area but all you need nearby. Especially loved the Forager market next door, will remind you of a Co-Op market with community table dining attached. There's a NYSC gym a block away as well. And a few blocks down my fave organic burger joint Bareburger. Yum

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Happy Holidays Rersey, thank for your sharing your lovely review about your stay. We are overjoyed you had a memorable experience and that you gave us the opportunity to be of service to you. Our staff is our greatest asset and it is wonderful to hear that you felt the warmth of their hospitality. I am pleased that you enjoyed our delightful location from all the hustle and bustle of Times Square. Foragers are becoming a neighborhood place to go and I will certainly share your kind words with their team. I am glad that you mentioned Bareburger is your favorite organic burger because it is mine as well and being close by is great too! We would be privileged to have you stay with us again and always welcome you to our GEM.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Hey if your coming to the city and care about the size of the room this place isn't for you. My wife and I bar hopped all night this place is in the center of the city the room was awesome considering I wasn't throwing a party staff was awesome hotel was spotless and we just loved it. We would return in a heartbeat perfect little nook in Chelsea

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings Robertbattaglia, thank you so much for sharing your amazing review and we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It is our passion to make your stay a relaxed and remarkable experience with wonderful memories. Your kind compliments about our staff will forever be treasured and we are motivated that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. We take pride in our cleanliness and amenities because it is extremely important for us to ensure your expectations are exceeded. We would be grateful to serve you again and create another special and delightful stay.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I've been traveling for business purposes for decades and I am picky. This hotel is so cute, the staff is exceptionally helpful, the location close to dozens of fantastic restaurants, close to subway. The rooms are petite but in a good way, you never lose anything! They are very comfortable and you have everything you need!
Love this place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Greetings G W, we are so excited to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us. To receive a stellar review such as yours means everything to us and that we were able to make you feel special and unique. I am very glad that our staff service and hospitality made your stay a one of a kind experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our location and found us close to many wonderful restaurants. It is our pleasure to be of service to you and making your stay comfortable and relaxing is our upmost dedication. We look forward to having you as our guest once again on your next return to New York.