“Great location but such small room!!!!”

Ranked #294 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brussels, Belgium
“Great location but such small room!!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice welcom, perfect location, no b fast, but the room is so so so small, even difficult into couple
Forget with too much luggages or more than two persons
Airco is very noisy and not well placed and shower ventilation was.out of order too...
Clean, friendly staff, perfect location, chealsea is the best, nice resto and bars around.

Room Tip: A big one...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Good Day Alexfrombrussels, we thank you dearly for sharing your experience with us and for choosing to be our guest. We are so excited that you enjoyed our superb location and amazing attractions that are nearby. I regret to hear that your guest room accommodations were not to your full satisfaction and would like recommend reserving our larger business class rooms that provide more space and overall comfort. Your comments are very important to us because it is our upmost commitment to make your stay as special and flawless as we can. I hope, if it is fine with you to e-mail me your name and dates of stay to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com so our maintenance team can thoroughly inspect your guest room and repair any deficiencies. We are thrilled that the superior cleanliness that is prepared by devoted staff was to your liking. Your kind compliments about our hospitality inspire us to serve our dear guests, like you, at the highest level and constantly expand our services and amenities. We all would be honored to welcome you once again and present to you our improvements made due to your valuable feedback.

212.675.1912 f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a great time here. Clean, friendly! Loved the roof top! Would definately recommend to our friends when visiting NEW YORK CITY! The area was close to everything. Staff held our bags before we could check in so we did not have to carry everything with us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Greeting Brooke B, thank you so much for sharing your stellar review with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and our charming location. It is our passion and commitment to provide the most relaxing and comforting accommodations so your stay is truly memorable and special in every way. I am pleased that you found us close to your areas of interest and hope that you had the time to explore the Chelsea culture. As many of our dear guests love our rooftop terrace, we are so thrilled that you too thought it was amazing! Our staff is our most important asset and I am very grateful that you felt the warmth of our unique hospitality. We all hope to welcome you back again and create another exceptional stay.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here last month for 5 nights. My first night, I arrived late, and went out to get a sandwich. When I came back my room key did not work, they gave me a spare, did not work. Manager tried to open door, could not. So after an hour of trying they gave me another room as there is no on site maintenance. It was a big inconvenience as all my stuff was in my room. It did get sorted the next day and the staff were very apologetic, but the situation was not great. I was refunded the cost of that night. Then after I check out, I get a $10 charge on my credit card. As there is no room service or mini bar I was surprised. I called and was told it was a $2 charge a day for the room safe! I am used to hotels trying to fleece me for internet, but this is a new low. I complained and have been refunded.

My overall impression is the people that work in the hotel are really nice and do all they can to help, but the owners of the hotel are trying to cut some serious costs (no onsite maintenance) and wring every cent out of their customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear HarveySylver23, thank you for sharing your valuable review and for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I am so glad that you chose to stay with us and feel sadden to read the inconveniences that you encountered. We would be grateful if you would accept our dearest apologizes for making you wait until the next day of your stay to have your room door opened. I am pleased that our staff was able to accommodate you in another room, while we were diligently working to have your room door reopened. Please, allow me to assure you that we do have onsite maintenance from early morning hours to early evening every day of the week. I understand how frustrating it had to be and your valuable feedback inspires us to avoid such future discontents and create the most memorable stay. I would like explain that we only charge for the in room safe because it is mandatory by the manufacture of the safety deposit vault. We never meant to upset you with the safe fee posted on your credit card statement and again would like to express our appreciation to your important comments. It is very rewarding that you felt the warmth of our staff attentiveness and dedication to excellent service. I remain at your disposal for anything you might need and hope you can give us the honor to have you as our dear guest again and make every effort to exceed your expectations and provide the wonderful experience that you deserve.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great location with easy access transportation and restaurants nearby. There is also a City Bike station right across the street and bike lanes along 8th Avenue. The room is very small with limited space for luggage but well decorated, and clean which made for a comfortable short stay. The air conditioner kept up with the extreme heat outside and that was a bliss. There is a safe in the room and a daily charge of $2.00 on the bill. Staff was very attentive and pleasant. Great value, I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Greetings LP1235, thank you sharing your review with us and for giving us the privilege to serve you. We are so thrilled that our delightful location and exquisite restaurants were to your enjoyment. The CitiBikes are really becoming a success and I hope you too had time to explore the neighborhood in one. I am glad that you were able to relax and stay comfortable in your guest room from the hot weather. It is our passion to create the most indulging experience because we love to make you feel special and unique. We are so grateful to receive your kind compliments about our staff and greatly treasure that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. We look forward for your return and opportunity to provide you with many more wonderful memories.

California
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hotwire. It had a 95% approval rating. I would give it a 25% approval rating. The staff was friendly, but the room is not good. It is so small, that I can't open my suitcase. The bed is old and bouncy. Feels like its been slept on for many years. The sheets are old as well. I'm sure they are clean, but they just don't feel fresh. Bathroom is on the new side, but it has no place to put anything. I had trouble finding the toilet paper because the only place to put it was under the sink.

Room Tip: My tip is to book somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Jgca, first and foremost I would like to dearly thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience. We are so grateful that you chose to stay with us after viewing our positive reviews on Hotwire. I truly regret to know we were not able to exceed your expectations due to the size of your guest room and would greatly appreciate if you would e-mail me your dates of stay and room number to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com so immediate measures can be taken with our housekeeping managers to avoid future discontents due to your detailed feedback. I sincerely understand how uncomfortable you have felt, instead of spending time enjoying your stay. If you allow me, I would like to recommend reserving our large business class rooms that provide more space and comfort. Your kind words about our staff will forever be cherished and we would be grateful to host you again and provide the most perfect stay that you deserve and except. I remain at your complete disposal and will personally make sure your next visit with us is truly amazing.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Rooms are small but clean and well appointed. Limited services but the staff is very friendly and helpful. Hotel is on a quiet side street close to a lot of good attractions and in an upscale neighborhood. Excellent value for a well located hotel in NYC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greetings Bencarey, thank you very much for your positive review which is always a pleasure to read and share with our team. We are so glad that you enjoyed your guest room and our exceptional amenities. It is our commitment to provide superior cleanliness so your stay is tranquil and at comfort. We greatly appreciate your kind words about our staff and that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. We are thrilled that our location was to your satisfaction and that you liked our nearby attractions. We all look forward to welcome you again and have the privilege to provide another memorable and unique experience.

Askim, Norway
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here for three days. Yes the rooms are small, but they are clean and have the things you need, and for the price it is great. And as long as you don't have four large bags the rooms are large enough, you're in NYC, you shouldn't stay in your room. Very helpfull staff and nice neighbourhood. Also the hotel with the beste wifi on our trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tine P
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Greetings Tine P, thank you choosing to stay with us and for sharing your lovely review. We are thrilled that you appreciated our first class amenities and the superior cleanliness that is provided by our delightful staff. It is so welcoming to hear such nice words about our hospitality and charming neighborhood. We are devoted to make your stay special and unique with cherished moments and wonderful memories. I am glad that you were able to use our high speed wireless internet to your enjoyment that made your trip great! We hope to welcome you back and have the opportunity to be of service to you once again.