“Don't stay here”

Ranked #309 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hotwire. It had a 95% approval rating. I would give it a 25% approval rating. The staff was friendly, but the room is not good. It is so small, that I can't open my suitcase. The bed is old and bouncy. Feels like its been slept on for many years. The sheets are old as well. I'm sure they are clean, but they just don't feel fresh. Bathroom is on the new side, but it has no place to put anything. I had trouble finding the toilet paper because the only place to put it was under the sink.

Room Tip: My tip is to book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Jgca, first and foremost I would like to dearly thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience. We are so grateful that you chose to stay with us after viewing our positive reviews on Hotwire. I truly regret to know we were not able to exceed your expectations due to the size of your guest room and would greatly appreciate if you would e-mail me your dates of stay and room number to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com so immediate measures can be taken with our housekeeping managers to avoid future discontents due to your detailed feedback. I sincerely understand how uncomfortable you have felt, instead of spending time enjoying your stay. If you allow me, I would like to recommend reserving our large business class rooms that provide more space and comfort. Your kind words about our staff will forever be cherished and we would be grateful to host you again and provide the most perfect stay that you deserve and except. I remain at your complete disposal and will personally make sure your next visit with us is truly amazing.

212.675.1912 f

Write a ReviewReviews (1,272)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Rooms are small but clean and well appointed. Limited services but the staff is very friendly and helpful. Hotel is on a quiet side street close to a lot of good attractions and in an upscale neighborhood. Excellent value for a well located hotel in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Greetings Bencarey, thank you very much for your positive review which is always a pleasure to read and share with our team. We are so glad that you enjoyed your guest room and our exceptional amenities. It is our commitment to provide superior cleanliness so your stay is tranquil and at comfort. We greatly appreciate your kind words about our staff and that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. We are thrilled that our location was to your satisfaction and that you liked our nearby attractions. We all look forward to welcome you again and have the privilege to provide another memorable and unique experience.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here for three days. Yes the rooms are small, but they are clean and have the things you need, and for the price it is great. And as long as you don't have four large bags the rooms are large enough, you're in NYC, you shouldn't stay in your room. Very helpfull staff and nice neighbourhood. Also the hotel with the beste wifi on our trip!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tine P
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Greetings Tine P, thank you choosing to stay with us and for sharing your lovely review. We are thrilled that you appreciated our first class amenities and the superior cleanliness that is provided by our delightful staff. It is so welcoming to hear such nice words about our hospitality and charming neighborhood. We are devoted to make your stay special and unique with cherished moments and wonderful memories. I am glad that you were able to use our high speed wireless internet to your enjoyment that made your trip great! We hope to welcome you back and have the opportunity to be of service to you once again.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Gem Chelsea in March 2013. I opted for a slightly larger room and was glad I did, because even a larger room is quite small. But the room was nice and clean, as was the bathroom. The room was quiet. There is no fridge, but a bottle of water was always available in the room.
The staff was friendly and the hotel was well situated, as I needed to go both uptown and downtown. The only negative was the lack of space in the lobby on the day I left. I needed to sit and pack some things I had bought after checking out, but on one side a guy was sleeping and snoring loudly and on the other a group of people were having a business meeting.
However, the hotel is great value for money and I would definately stay there again. I would also try the other Gem Hotels based on this experience.

Room Tip: It is worth it to spend a little more and get a slightly larger room, as even they are quite small.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Greetings BirtaBB, thank you for sharing your review and for giving us the privilege to serve you. We are so excited that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and felt comfortable in our larger business class guest room. It is our fullest commitment to provide exceptional cleanliness and amenities because we want you to relax and be indulged by our first class hospitality. Your kind words about our staff will forever be treasured and I am glad that our lovely location was your liking. At times our lobby get can busy with guests and I sincerely apologize that you were disturbed while getting ready to depart. We try to be fair to every guest and greatly value your feedback as it is inspires us to provide unparalleled accommodations and avoid future discontents. It is so rewarding to hear that you would stay with us again and we would be grateful to create another memorable experience.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here during the heat wave this July. All you need in this location is a home base, and that is what this was, and more. The room was small as it was advertised, but expected this in Manhattan! Very clean, I felt everyone to be very friendly, and the amenities were high end--shower, toiletries, free water, and free Wi-Fi! Couldn't want for more. Great Chelsea location. I'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greetings Joann S, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience with us. We are so excited that we were able to make you feel at home and that you enjoyed our charming location. I am very pleased the superior cleanliness that is provided by our devoted staff was to your satisfaction. It is our passion to provide the finest amenities and accommodations because making your stay full of special memories means everything to us! We are grateful to receive your wonderful praises about our staff and that you felt the warmth of our personalized service. We are looking forward on having you as our dear guest and once again make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I just stayed at the Gem and I have to say it was a first class experience all the way. The staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable of the area as well as made you feel at home. The rooms were very clean, neat and comfortable and the decor was modern and tastefull as well. The location is ideal for shopping, sight seeing as well as just exploring the many different restaurants and coffee shops. Overall I would have to say it was the best choice for lodging for my family and I and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to travel to that area. My wife and I are already planning a return visit.

Room Tip: Any room you get will be a great roomm just being there alone makes it great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Greetings Charles W, thank you for sharing your stellar review with us. We are so privileged to have the opportunity to be of service and creating a wonderful experience is our undivided passion. It is so rewarding that enjoyed our hospitality and that our staff was the highlight of your stay. I am glad that our location was convenient to you and your family and I agree with you that are many wonderful attractions to explore nearby. It is our pride and commitment to provide superior cleanliness and amenities so your stay is memorable and special. We are grateful that you are planning your return visit and can’t wait to provide another amazing and indulging stay.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I took a solo trip to NYC just to explore the city, and the Gem was the perfect space for me. The rooms were very clean, beds were comfortable and I had a great view from my room. The room was small, but it's NYC so I wasnt expecting much space, however the size of the room was great just for one person. The shower was very relaxing. The AC was very adequate considering the stifling heat outside. The rooftop terrace is adorable and so pretty at night with a breathtaking view of the ESB. The Gem is located in the Chelsea area, and is walking distance really to everything. Im a walker so I walked from Battery Park to Central Park one day I was there, but I could have taken the subway if I wanted to because the A,C and E trains are 1 block from the hotel. Ok customer service - I was greeted each time I walked through the lobby but no small talk at check in (I like personalized service but it didnt make my stay bad at all). I'd definitely recommend this hotel to any couples or solo travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room for hopefully a view of the ESB
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Greetings Nancy O, thank you for sharing your review about your stay and for giving us the opportunity to indulge you. We are so excited that you chose to stay with us and are thrilled that you enjoyed your guest room accommodations. It is our everyday commitment to prepare each guest room with superior cleanliness and amenities because making your stay relaxing and comfortable is our main priority. We are inspired that felt our dedication to excellence and are pleased that you had a great view from your room. I agree with you, the rooftop terrace is magnificent with spectacular views of New York and I am glad that you enjoyed it as well. We are motivated that we were near your areas of interest and are fortunate to be around so many wonderful attractions. Your kind words about our staff will always be cherished and allow me to assure you that providing personalized hospitality is our passion and devotion. We are all very grateful that you would recommend our charming GEM and we hope to create another delightful experience on your next return.