“Fantastic! Book now limited spaces! Best Tour I have EVER done!”

Real New York Tours
Ranked #2 of 620 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: The Original NYC Walking & Subway Tour Celebrating our 10th Year! Lets face it, New York tours are only as good as their tour guides. Real New York Tours gives people the opportunity to see the city through the eyes of real New Yorkers. Real New York Tours explores the history, the cracks and crevices, the side streets, and culture of real New York neighborhoods. We’ll ride the New York subway, pound the pavement, and meet the people who have become the fabric of this great city. Together we will feel the electricity that drives everyday New Yorkers. This is real New York!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic! Book now limited spaces! Best Tour I have EVER done!”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

As this was my first time in the great city of New York I was rather pessimistic. I thought the city would a dog eat dog world if you took even ten steps out of the tourist zones, not to mention the arrogant New Yorkers! Well how wrong was I!

Like many others I still had the image of New York in the 19070’s and 80’s. A rough, gang ruled area. Well how wrong I would be, and thanks to Trey at the Real New Yorker Tours I got to see parts of the city I wouldn’t of even dared go!

Day one, we landed and arrived at the hotel, completely dazzled by the city and its atmosphere. A massive city that is awaited to be explored, just one problem. We don’t have a clue where we are, or how to get about. We were slap bang in the middle, a good walk Downtown and a good walk uptown. So how do we get about? Subway? I wouldn’t dare. Dirty, dangerous, confusing. All words I had in mind when I though of the New York subway. Well I was wrong, again.

We had booked the tour for our first full day in the city. This proved to be an excellent plan as Trey took us on the subway, something I was rather scared to do, and showed us that New York really is not this dog eat dog city, but in fact is incredibly friendly and easy to navigate.

Despite the fact that on this day the heavens had opened and it was absolutely pounding down with rain we still went ahead with the tour, but before hand we called Real New York Tours and asked if it was still on, Yes. But we asked if it would be possible for us to do the three hour tour rather than the six. That was no problem. So when Trey arrived at our hotel we explained and then set off for the subway to Greenwich.

Three hours into the tour we found our selves standing outside Ground Zero, the Twin Towers memorial. Trey then told us that the tour would end here, however we asked if we could continue and do the next three hours and do the six hour tour as we had enjoyed the tour so much!

We finished up in Times Square at four o’clock and Trey was more than happy to assist us with any questions we had. He even gave us his cell number should we become lost in the Big Apple! Well, we never did thanks to Trey showing us how the Subway system works!

In full I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and would recommend this tour to anyone. And if you are yet to book up for New York but are hesitant thinking its a big city you may get lost, or mugged then think again. After the tour I felt incredibly safe walking though any street in New York, day or night. And the people of New York are the most helpful you will meet. The few times we did pull out the map and work out directions we ended up being assisted by not one but even two! New Yorkers! Try that in London!

One thing I would recommend about the tour though. Book in advance! Spaces are limited so book before someone else does! This is a tour no one should miss out on.

I could type on forever praising the tour however I shall stop here. Read some other reviews they are ALL true!

And visit Luke’s You Tube page. Some helpful videos there, form a man who is very passionate about his city.

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“We would have NEVER seen as much as we did without Luke!”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My husband and I went to New York for my Birthday from March 26-29. We had booked the Big Apple tour with Luke for the day after we arrived. This, in hindsight, was a great idea! Not only was Luke fun and knowledgable, but he truly loves the city he lives in. We saw so many things that day, people can't even believe how many places we went to! I am no history buff to be sure, but Luke made the tour so interesting with all the things he showed us along the way, I was in awe of the history of this city. He showed us where certain movies where filmed, where to get the best pizza and hot dogs, how to use the subway, he knew when buildings were built, he knew EVERYTHING! After he showed us all over the island, we made note of the places we wanted to go back to so we could spend a little more time and did just that on our remaining two days. I would highly recommend a tour through this company, and have been doing so to all my friends planning a trip to New York. And when we go back, we will definitley book another tour. Thank you Luke for a wonderful day, you are a gem in a giant of the city. PS. Love the ring. :)

Nicole and Shaun Orr
Edmonton, AB, Canada

2 Thank chiladaqueen
lancs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great, interesting, fun trip”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

On our 1st day in New York, we went on a downtown tour with Nathan. We enjoyed it from beginning to end. Nathan made it real fun & we learnt lots of interesting facts that we wouldn't have found out ourselves. We also learnt how to use the subways. When we visit New York again we will definately use this company again!

2 Thank nynewby
Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“An Excellent tour, must do for all visitors to NY - New or returning!”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We took the tour on our first full day when visiting NY, as we hoped to get an insight as to where to concentrate the remaining days of our week long trip. We have to say that Trey was a very light hearted and informative, guide and kept both ourselves and our 9 & 14 year Sons captivated. At the start, when Trey met us at the Hotel, we discussed with Trey the options available for the tour. After a brief discussion, we set off to take the Subway to our first stop. We were apprehensive about using the Subway, but after a couple of minutes with Trey giving us pointers, we were set up for the week to use the Sub with confidence.

Trey is not the typical tour guide, feeding you with the boring stuff you can find in all the tour books. The level of detail and description of all the places visited was superb. You will see places on New York that never get a mention in the tour books. In addition, you will hear about interesting and relevant historical detail about places you will visit. We asked loads of questions and Trey was able to answer them all no problems.

If you visit NY, this tour is a must do, but aim to have it earlier in your trip. You will use the information during the remainder of your visit.

2 Thank PhileasFoggScotland
Michigan
“EXCEEDED OUR EXPECTATIONS! AWESOME! THANKS TREY”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We did the tour with Trey last week and it was awesome! Our 16 and 11 year olds enjoyed it just as much. Trey made it fun, educational, and exciting! We learned and saw so much. You get so much more out of this then if you tour on our own or on a bus. An added plus is that you learn to use the subway.

Watch out Trey the Kuipers will be back for another tour!