“We would have NEVER seen as much as we did without Luke!”

Real New York Tours
Ranked #3 of 651 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: The Original NYC Walking & Subway Tour Celebrating our 10th Year! Lets face it, New York tours are only as good as their tour guides. Real New York Tours gives people the opportunity to see the city through the eyes of real New Yorkers. Real New York Tours explores the history, the cracks and crevices, the side streets, and culture of real New York neighborhoods. We’ll ride the New York subway, pound the pavement, and meet the people who have become the fabric of this great city. Together we will feel the electricity that drives everyday New Yorkers. This is real New York!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My husband and I went to New York for my Birthday from March 26-29. We had booked the Big Apple tour with Luke for the day after we arrived. This, in hindsight, was a great idea! Not only was Luke fun and knowledgable, but he truly loves the city he lives in. We saw so many things that day, people can't even believe how many places we went to! I am no history buff to be sure, but Luke made the tour so interesting with all the things he showed us along the way, I was in awe of the history of this city. He showed us where certain movies where filmed, where to get the best pizza and hot dogs, how to use the subway, he knew when buildings were built, he knew EVERYTHING! After he showed us all over the island, we made note of the places we wanted to go back to so we could spend a little more time and did just that on our remaining two days. I would highly recommend a tour through this company, and have been doing so to all my friends planning a trip to New York. And when we go back, we will definitley book another tour. Thank you Luke for a wonderful day, you are a gem in a giant of the city. PS. Love the ring. :)

Nicole and Shaun Orr
Edmonton, AB, Canada

2  Thank chiladaqueen
Write a ReviewReviews (5,533)

Reviewed April 14, 2009

On our 1st day in New York, we went on a downtown tour with Nathan. We enjoyed it from beginning to end. Nathan made it real fun & we learnt lots of interesting facts that we wouldn't have found out ourselves. We also learnt how to use the subways. When we visit New York again we will definately use this company again!

2  Thank nynewby
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We took the tour on our first full day when visiting NY, as we hoped to get an insight as to where to concentrate the remaining days of our week long trip. We have to say that Trey was a very light hearted and informative, guide and kept both ourselves and our 9 & 14 year Sons captivated. At the start, when Trey met us at the Hotel, we discussed with Trey the options available for the tour. After a brief discussion, we set off to take the Subway to our first stop. We were apprehensive about using the Subway, but after a couple of minutes with Trey giving us pointers, we were set up for the week to use the Sub with confidence.

Trey is not the typical tour guide, feeding you with the boring stuff you can find in all the tour books. The level of detail and description of all the places visited was superb. You will see places on New York that never get a mention in the tour books. In addition, you will hear about interesting and relevant historical detail about places you will visit. We asked loads of questions and Trey was able to answer them all no problems.

If you visit NY, this tour is a must do, but aim to have it earlier in your trip. You will use the information during the remainder of your visit.

2  Thank PhileasFoggScotland
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We did the tour with Trey last week and it was awesome! Our 16 and 11 year olds enjoyed it just as much. Trey made it fun, educational, and exciting! We learned and saw so much. You get so much more out of this then if you tour on our own or on a bus. An added plus is that you learn to use the subway.

Watch out Trey the Kuipers will be back for another tour!

Reviewed April 12, 2009

This is a copy of my email I sent to Luke of RealNewYorkTours. I really enjoyed my tour with my guide Greg. Once I told Luke this, he wanted me to pass on my very positive experience to others here on TripAdvisor as "Greg" is a new addition to his guides and we both felt it is important to pass on that Greg... is one number one guy. So don't worry that he is "new" to the company!! He DEFINATELY is NOT new to New York City!! At my request, I really wanted to deviate from the set tour plan that RealNewYork offered. After many very pleasant and enjoyable emails (and phonecalls!) back and forth, Luke set me up with Greg for a customized tour. That alone tells you how this guy operates! I was very interested in going to Roosevelt Island. Not much there except for history, and that is what I found of interest. So I got what I was after, and I felt very priviledged to be with a personal guide that really did his homework to enrich my request to simply "visit" the island with many, many details of the island, as well as stories that had taken place in the river around the island. Had I visited it myself I would have not been able to really "feel" the many pictures of the amazing history that Greg had painted for me.
So if Luke doesn't offer exactly what you want... then ask, and being a true hospitality professional... he will do what he can to make sure he can put something together for you!!

Hi Luke,
Just wanted to let you know that my tour today with Greg was Awesome!! It was so obvious that either he already knew alot about Roosevelt... or read up on it just for me!! Roosevelt Island as a part of the tour was worthwhile for me, but I feel the island itself might not contain enough for your bang bang bang tours (for other people). Now saying that though... when there were spaces of nothing to see actually on the island, Greg was fantastic about pointing out sights over on Manhattan! In fact, I would consider it worthwhile going to for others for the Tram Ride and view of the 59th Street Bridge, and the excellent vantage point of Manhattan. I enjoyed it all, but I am in the tourist industry myself and always try to look at things from another person's point of view. If you ever were thinking of a new tour (3/4 Apple? haha) probably an hour or so on Roosevelt to see the abandoned buildings, learn the medical history, and see the vantage point of Manhattan while learning of the history of the different buildings you can see over there would be sufficient. Still though, that part of the tour is exactly what "I" wanted!
As for the rest of the tour, it is unbelievable that Greg was referring to no notes, and was constantly talking about the significance of this or that, almost ever foot we took. I asked him what his education level was as it struck me that he is one very smart guy. He is an Artist! An Artist with -what he calls- "just an interest" in New York since he was young. Well his interest was carried on to me with one extremely enjoyable tour! In fact, I wanted to deviate from Greg's planned tour (that I had requested) at the last minute and go after a "Geocache" (Greg can explain what that was) and he accomodated my request no problem. In fact, as we were getting near the end of the day, when he should have been getting tired, Greg was talking faster and faster and I felt that he wanted to make sure that he covered everything he wanted to tell me! Over an hour past the end of the tour to finish up the details and complete the tour. MUCH appreciated that he didn't just cut off the tour at the "end" time. It really made me feel special... it made me feel like I was with more than a guide... I was with a person with a passion for the city that he HAD to pass on.
Again, I'm in the business. I know how important feedback is. I wanted to pass on my honest feedback to you. You know, the tour was pricey. It wasn't a $20 sit on top of the bus tour with a recording playing between the stops for an hour and a half. I was with a "real" New Yorker with a real passion for this city. That alone made this tour worthwhile for me.
Hoping to continue your positive comments on TripAdvisor... I'll try and post there as well. Really... if you are going to take a tour in NYC... do it with a New Yorker and not a recording!!
Hey... Thanks. You really made my day special today.