“The half apple downtown tour was perfect”

Real New York Tours
Ranked #2 of 595 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: The Original NYC Walking & Subway Tour Celebrating our 10th Year! Lets face it, New York tours are only as good as their tour guides. Real New York Tours gives people the opportunity to see the city through the eyes of real New Yorkers. Real New York Tours explores the history, the cracks and crevices, the side streets, and culture of real New York neighborhoods. We’ll ride the New York subway, pound the pavement, and meet the people who have become the fabric of this great city. Together we will feel the electricity that drives everyday New Yorkers. This is real New York!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Angleton, TX
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The half apple downtown tour was perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

We had a teenager in tow, and all of us loved this tour. Trey was our guide. He was full of interesting information, and good stories. He made this a delightful way to get our bearings in this part of the city (Greenwich to the Financial District). We definitely felt like we understood a bit more about the neighborhoods after this tour.

It was quite a bit of walking. Wear comfortable shoes.

1 Thank verypicky57

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Shawn - Mr. New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

Real New york Tours really lives up to its name. Not only do they show you all the major tourist spots that everyone else sees but they take you down back roads through Chinatown and little side streets that you normally wouldn't see on those big bus tours. In fact during our whole tour, I don't think I saw one bus tour group in all the places we went. Like their name says, they show you the "Real New York."

Shawn was an encyclopedia of knowledge, he actually answered ALL the questions that we asked of him. I actually can't think of one question he couldn't answer for us. He taught us how to use the subway system, knew what every building was when we asked him "What's that?", learned about the gang wars of Chinatown...I could go on and on. He was even nice enough to take us out to Queens to show us the neighborhoods that we normally wouldn't have seen on any other tour. We actually wanted to go there to see the new JollyBee Restaurant (it's a big deal to Filipinos) and he didn't mind at all since he actaully lived in that area himself. He was actually hoping to show it off to people one day anyways because it's such an interesting area culturally to see. The area of Queens we were in was a great melting pot of different cultures. down one street were the Filipinos, down another were the East Indians, turn the corner and there are the Irish and Columbians. What a great experience that was and my wife and I were very grateful that he went over the 6 hrs just to take us out there. He even took us to the subway station to make sure we get on the right train and told us exactly when to get off.

Thanks for a great tour Shawn and if you're still not sure about booking with this tour then read all the other reviews and they'll all say the same thing.

4 Thank Marcus90
London, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“See the Real New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

the other reviewers on TA were right - this was money well spent ! Zach was amazing and so full of knowledge and insight I feel like I know parts of the city better than some NY 'ers ! He shared his vast knowledge of history , architecture , and culture with us on a 3 hr tour . It was the highlight of our trip and my only regrets were not booking a full tour and not tipping him enough ( its cash only at the end of the tour ) . The shopping in NY is great , but if you want to actually get to know the why , hows , and who's in a fun ,. hands on , personal way this is the tour to book . We also did the hop on/hop off bus tour which was very good to get our bearings and use as transportation around the city . I would recomend that tour as well , but they are completely different tours so I can't compare them . Ask Zach to stop for real pizza " pie " or coffee and he won't steer you wrong ! Highly recommended ! You won't regret it .

1 Thank londonfamilyoffour
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Tour with Shawn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

We had a great time on our tour with Shawn as our guide. He was timely, polite and very knowledgable about New York. We booked the six hour tour and we could have easily gone longer but our 8 year old daughter was exhausted. A LOT of walking and subway rides but we saw more of New York in one day then we could have seen on our own in a week! Shawn was really good with our daughter and he was also very flexible with our schedule.....he stopped whenever we wanted to or needed to and he led us to some very delicious places to eat! We would defenitely recommend this tour company and Shawn.

3 Thank K P
South Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“It was the [--]”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

My husband and I brought our two daughters ages 21 and 18 to New York City for the first time the week of March 15th. I wanted them to see as much of New York as they could in the 5 days we would be there. After searching Trip Advisor, I decided to book a tour with Real New York City Tours. I have one word "priceless". If you are looking for someone who will take you places you've never been before, tell you stories you've never heard before, taste food you've never tasted before and become your friend all in 6 hours, this is your chance. Luke Miller was our guide and what a fascinating individual. He is a great story teller and a true New Yorker! Our time went by so fast and with two teenage daughters, who were hesitant about going, this tour became the best part of their trip. It is all they could talk about. Luke became a part of our family in those six hours and made us very comfortable. If you are remotely thinking about a tour, don't hesitate. You cannot go wrong!! Word of advice, don't wait until the last minute....it fills up fast. I would pay double the price, it was well worth it. Thanks, Luke! When, not if, we go back to New York City, your tour is on our agenda!!

2 Thank dakotafamily4