“A Must Do”

Real New York Tours
Ranked #8 of 648 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: The Original NYC Walking & Subway Tour Celebrating our 10th Year! Lets face it, New York tours are only as good as their tour guides. Real New York Tours gives people the opportunity to see the city through the eyes of real New Yorkers. Real New York Tours explores the history, the cracks and crevices, the side streets, and culture of real New York neighborhoods. We’ll ride the New York subway, pound the pavement, and meet the people who have become the fabric of this great city. Together we will feel the electricity that drives everyday New Yorkers. This is real New York!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The tour is long yet worth it. You will feel the time passing by so quickly. The tour was well planned and I have got sooo much information on the sites that we have visited, e.g. lots of background stories and a bit of history too. I don't think I will ever know this information if I went by myself. Trey was great, patient and knowledgeable.
I personally think this is the best tour that you must join, especially if you only have few days in Manhattan, NYC. Probably, this tour can be the beginning of your journey (or whenever, really) because you will know which site that you want to visit next or to spend more time in.

PS: dont forget to put some money in your metrocard, although the guide will tell you how to do this before the tour if you haven't got your metrocard

3  Thank adn88
Write a ReviewReviews (5,551)
All reviews
"pop culture"
in 123 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 176 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 137 reviews

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was visiting the city on my own for the day. This was the perfect way to do it...Trey our guide was very informative and funny...Interesting factoids were abundant. I was impressed with the number of sites we were actually seeing and the ease of following someone on and off subway was a no brainer...Even helping us getting thru turn style was part of the fun!
I highly recommend this tour to all, especially if it's your first time visiting..I spent the next two days exploring the favourite places we'd seen and impressing my girlfriend with all the interesting info I'd learned from the tour!!

3  Thank Ibike4fun
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My family & I visited NYC last week. I wanted to make sure the kids knew some of the interesting history behind the neighborhoods in New York. We had Jimmy as our guide and he was fantastic. The facts that he told us brought the NYC history to life. My kids are 13, 17 & 20 and they all took away information that will enhance their knowledge of US history as well as Pop history of New York City. We all learned something. Luke (the owner of Real New York Tours) was very attentive and made sure we enjoyed our tour.

We plan to go on a different tour the next time we are in the Big Apple. Perhaps the Harlem Tour.

3  Thank wanderlust131
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Thank you to Real New York Tours. We had a tour with Shawn on our first full day in New York and it was brilliant. The 6 hours felt like 3. Shawn was great in covering so much information and making it fun and interesting for all 5 of us. The tour covered a lot of ground which we visited by foot or by subway which then also prepared us for our week ahead. I highly recommend this tour. New York is Amazing!!

2  Thank familyholidaysx5
See more reviews
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My adult son and I went to NYC in Oct for the first time. It was to be the trip of a lifetime. One of the highlights was our personal tour guided by David of Real New York Tours. My son has physical disabilities which slowed us down but David worked with it wonderfully. Within 10 minutes he and my son were talking like old friends about literary history and rock and roll history and 1800s gangs of New York history. Because you can personalize your tour you too can talk about and areas related to your choices. David complemented my son's knowledge on all subjects. We have even kept in touch with David after we returned home, checking in with him during and after Hurricane Sandy, I can't say enough about how Real New York Tours and David "made" our trip.

3  Thank KristaGJ