“Taste of Home” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Australian NYC

The Australian NYC
Reserve with OpenTable
The Australian NYC is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,461 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Australian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Transit: Nearest Subways: 42nd St-Bryant Park B,D,F,M 34th St-Herald Square N,Q,R
Description: The Australian exemplifies the Aussie spirit- down to earth, friendly and always having a great time. We provide the warmth and charm of an old school Australian drinking establishment in the context of a modern American city. From our wide variety of imported beers to our homemade meat pies, our Australasian wine list to our freshest cocktails, we strive to represent everything that is great about Australian food and culture here in New York.
Tasmania, Australia
“Taste of Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Once I heard of The Australian, it became a must-visit for my partner and I when in NYC. As an Australian living abroad I was excited for some comfort food from home!

We were seated really quickly and The Australian had a great atmosphere inside. Lots of lively diners obviously having a great time. The Australiana decorating the walls was a nice touch and reminded me of home! The wait staff were very friendly, smiley and attentive to our table (maybe it was my Aussie accent?).

I enjoyed the chicken parma (as close to those of home as I've had overseas). It was followed with some pav - delicious but could've done with a bit less passionfruit sauce which was sickly-sweet.

Really like what The Australian is doing in New York City and recommend it to both New Yorkers and Australians who are after a little bit of Down Under in The Big Apple!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Newcastle, Australia
“NYC round 2”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

What a bloody great place, this was on my To do List
I was not disappointed
A great looking bar
Food great, selection wide & varied
Staff very friendly & helpful
Prices great / not expensive

Adelaide, Australia
“Ordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here on ANZAC Day. Very nicely fitted out pub and service was pretty good. We were seated in the upstairs area.

Unfortunately the food was very ordinary. The Chicken Parma was listed in the menu as "Jumbo" but was far from it. The Bangers (sausages) and Mash was a good sized meal but I couldnt finish it as they tasted quite strange. The table beside us had the bangers as well and made a similar comment.

Unfortunately during our meal the ANZAC AFL football match volume was turned right up and we could barely hear eachother over our meals. It was really quite ridiculously loud (everyone around us were commenting) and it wasnt addressed until one of the guests asked the staff to turn the volume down. It was turned down slightly but not too enough and it was still quite annoying. I couldnt wait to leave.

I would come back here for a beer but definitely wouldnt eat here again.

1 Thank Gormo75
Queensland, Australia
“ANZAC day so where else for an Australian in NYC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

It's ANZAC day so as an Australian where do you head but The Australian NYC. It was crowded as you would expect but they accommodated us immediately at a shared table. We had lunch with a beer (Coopers) and a glass of wine (Rosemount Pinot Grigio which is not a pinch on the very inexpensive Italian ones we have been drinking I have to say). Even got to see some of a rugby game, nice change from ice hockey, etc.

Visited April 2014
Staveley, United Kingdom
“Great place to watch the football”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I needed a place that showed the UK Football & the receptionist reccommended this bar, yeah they were showing US sports with the sound (i was in NYC afterall !) But they offered to turn over one of their many many TV's over to the English Premier League for me, beer was nice & cold & the food was lovely

Visited February 2014