“A treasure in a busy city”

New York Public Library
$86.00*
Small Group Walking Tour of New York City Architecture
Ranked #21 of 1,144 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Two marble lions mark the entrance to this Beaux Arts masterpiece, a National Historic Landmark containing more than six million books.
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The building is just like those you would find in historic cities such as London. The reading room is a must for visitors, look up to see am amazing ceiling!!! It is funny to see the reading room being used for computers!! Well worth a visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (11,280)

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Book lovers this is a must see. I did not schedule this into my itinerary but happened upon it by chance. I regret not taking the guided tour but loved walking around this ancient building! The gift shop is awesome!!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

As a book lover, I knew I had to visit this place while in NYC. I was overwhelmed by the beautiful architecture. I wish I could have just spent more time relaxing here and reading books. The gift shop had some cool stuff but the staff was outright RUDE for no reason at all. I felt like I was just a bother to them. Oh well, this place makes up for it!

Highly recomend!
Beautiful rooms, nice environment. For free. Takes around 30 min-1h and is really worth. It is close to the Grand Central Station...

Reviewed January 16, 2014

What a fantastic place to spend a few hours - and it's free. A beautiful building, books galore (of course!), interesting exhibitions and - the highlight for us - an opportunity to view the original Winnie the Pooh and his friends. Plus a wonderful gift shop in which we happily spent a lot more time - and money. The woman on the information desk was friendly and helpful - our only regret was that we couldn't visit again as there was more we would have liked to see.