“I wish it were larger!”

The Studio Museum in Harlem
Book In Advance
More Info
$133.00*
and up
Private Harlem Tour in New York
Ranked #294 of 1,137 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum that focuses on historical and contemporary works of African-American artists.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I went to the Studio Museum in September and was really impressed with the pieces and the museum. I love art and an opportunity to check out a selection of all African American work is always great. I only wish that the museum was larger. I found myself wanting to see more and there wasn't any more to see. However, I love that it is free on Sundays and that they have so many souvenir takeaways like post cards with artwork on them, books, book marks and posters. There are some great/interesting finds in the gift shop as well.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Studio Museum is an important patron to African American artists and the collection features work by more than 400 of them. This includes important pieces by painter Jacob Lawrence, photographer Gordon Parks and collagist Romare Bearden – all of whom are represented in major museum collections in the US.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Go in Sunday for FREE. It is also FREE information center not only for HARLEM but for all New York. Go inside anytime and ask. Information center and shop is always for FREE.

2  Thank Adam B
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am lucky enough to know the assistant curator of this magnificent museum and also studio to resident artists. She gave me, hubby and cousin a private tour because we were in town when the museum is closed (Mon thru Wed, I think...). Goodness, the outside of the building doesn't do it justice. The space is larger than one would expect with multiple levels and exhibits of art by African Americans. What I like about the focus is that the art is not African American themed; instead it's art by African Americans. Big difference. The work was beautiful and there are multiple exhibits on display including the work of famed photographer Gordon Parks. There were photos there that have never been displayed before of the family in Harlem he studied in the '60s. Such a treat. Wish I could've stayed longer to see the school on site. Must see!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Studio Museum of Harlem was great. They had an exhibit of contemporary artists, and photographs by the great Gordon Parks, on a series he did of a Harlem Family in 1967. Not every piece of the contemporary artist was immediately accessible, but the photographs by Gordon Parks were incredibly moving and gave a face to the challenges associated with being poor in the US, then and now. The exhibit on Postcards from Harlem captured past and present photographs of history of individuals, institutions and public art in Harlem. We were rushed, but if we had had more time I would have loved to spend it in their great gift shop, filled with books of prior exhibits and art. We got lucky, because they have free admission on Sundays, thanks to Target, though we happily would pay to return.