Hampton Inn Manhattan-35th St/Empire State Bldg
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Metro(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
The Gregory Hotel New York(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Executive Hotel LeSoleil(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Fitness center
2,319 results
All reviewsherald squaregreat locationtimes squarenew yorkpenn stationfree breakfastempire statethe breakfast arearooms are smallbagelsaround the cornermajor attractionsfront desk staffwould definitely stay here againtwo double bedscentral locationstreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 14, 2012

First the staff... Ariel, Maria, Cathy, the Big Guy in the Evening and even Wayne were all super great team that provide quality service.

The hotel... Very clean all areas, close to subway, Times Square, Fashion District, and Broadway

The Room... Clean, Comfy, Clean VERY CLEAN...

Free Wifi and Free Breakfast

Safety... I am a mother travelling with a teen daughter and I felt very safe at night walking back to the hotel.

We stayed 10/2012

Room Tip: I suggest a higher floor, we were on 15
1  Thank tracylynn47
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Nice location. Friendly staff. Good breakfast included (vs the normal lame business traveller fare). Workout room available, which is hard to come by in manhattan. Main complaint was the beds. Too mushy. Not comfy. Also, mold in the bathroom tub. Needs an upgrade. Would not stay here again for those reasons.

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Okay, it was my first trip to NY City, and I didn't know what to expect. I read the reviews on the Hampton Inn Empire State, so I was prepared somewhat (lock i-pads, cash and cellphones in the room safe whenever you leave the room). This surrounding area is very safe though.

We came in about 11 pm last Thursday night and the front desk staff on the night shift were/was just terrific. I think our person's name was Kadem, but I'm not spelling it right. Anyway, she was very helpful and had a huge smile for us, couldn't have been nicer. Our sign-in was short, easy and painless. Thank you staff!!!

The hotel was built or remodeled in 2008. You can tell by the service card in the elevator, so I am assuming that is when it was remodeled. There is no parking on site, but a parking garage is a few steps away. It's a narrow bldg, but there are 20 floors. Our room was on the 7th floor overlooking the front hotel/street and as we were told from some of the reviews, tight. To tell you the truth, it was a bit tight, but any king size bed in your room would take up most space, but not too small a space that you couldn't walk around - I've had much, much worse. To give you an idea, we had room to set up the ironing board, but if someone had to get on the other side of the bed or into the bathroom, you had to move the board. The decor in the room was very nice, up to date and the flat screen tv was high definition (better than what I have at home) and worked perfectly with some premium channels. The sheets on the bed are terrific, and the elevator poster claims the comforter covers are new with every guest, which is really nice to know. The bed was very comfortable for sleeping.

The bathroom was very nice with a granite countertop and real wood cabinet below (it looked like wood) and it had enough room for two people to do their thing comfortably. Toiletries and towels were nice, but the toilet seat when fully down gave under my weight and bowed. One more thing about the room is the front door - it slams automatically. So, at night you'll know when someone is coming in late, and if the door is right next to yours, you'll feel it. Slight nuisance for me, but didn't take away from the overall experience.

Now, regarding the noise. Yes, it's a problem. The street (35th) is a narrow one, and is partially blocked by dumpsters for the remodel of at least three buildings within 50 feet. One construction site was right across the street, and the other two were on both corners of 6th Ave. They are building out another hotel and remodeling a Victoria's Secret. The VC project should be done in a few weeks. In the middle of the night, you may hear something large being thrown into the dumpsters banging around, and machines running such as saws or drills, but generally speaking I was able to sleep through most of it. Turn on the fan to the AC unit to cover the noise if you can get it adjusted properly. Give this a few weeks, and I'm sure the dumping and sawing should get much lighter with doing their interior work. If noise bothers you, ask for a room above the 6th floor or highest up you can get or a room facing the back, but if you are familiar with New York (which I'm not) the noise factor all over the city is going to be much louder where ever you go. Even walking the streets it's very noisy, but you get used to it. There seems to be a lot of construction going on around in the area, which I can easily deal with. The whole city is an experience to absorb, just don't let the noise get to you.

Now, the best part of this hotel has to be where it is located - fantastic. You walk out the front door to the street, look right, and there is the 8-9 story Macy's Department Store less than a block away, which by the way, takes up a whole city block! And, the Empire State Building is the next street over. Walking to Times Square is a breeze, literally 8 short blocks away, and a five minute walk north from there is Central Park. The subway is so convenient, being centrally located around Macy's or in that area. We got on the # 1 subway south to Ground Zero, and to the Staten Island Ferry (which is free both ways and the best way to see the Statue of Liberty without stopping there!). It all starts within a block of your hotel room. It's really amazing how many things are walkable or within a subway from the Hampton Inn. Subway rides are $2.25 one way, so get a ticket for $10 to get around. Never had any fear or problems riding the subway, it was an easy and inexpensive way to get somewhere fast.

Another thing we liked was the choice of food around the hotel. Across the street is Brendan's which is a small restaurant with a bar/pub in the front. The food is very good there, and the history has to be very interesting from the looks of the interior; I should have asked. As you are walking out of the hotel, next door to the left is a selection of restaurants from sushi, Korean, Italian Pizza, to two Irish Pubs. Then, as you walk out the hotel and turn right to 6th Avenue, turn another right on 6th and you'll see just past the hotel construction on the corner a deli and a fresh food salad bar type grocery store (sorry, I forgot their names, but they do have healthier food, and health food as well). A few streets over in walking distance is a very, very nice Italian restaurant called Villa Berulia Ristorante, but I'll do a nice review of that later.

Back to the hotel - I've never been impressed by the "free" breakfasts at these hotels, so I went down for coffee, bananas, and yogurt. Their hot food in the warmers is just fine...if you want free. In the basement is the gym, which is surprisingly nice and roomy, no one there. But down there is where the large laundry bins are kept, so you sometimes have to squeeze by to get around them - not scary, but tight. Also, I might add that right around the time that the rooms are being made up on your floor, the maid's carts are in the very narrow halls, so if you have a bag on rollers, you have to turn sideways to get around them. It's a little inconvenient, but again something you can live with.

All in all, I will definitely come back here. It's a tight/compact space of a hotel, and you have to put up with a few adjustments, but the price is very fair, probably more fair now with the construction going on outside. The staff is very friendly too. And, the convenience of having so much within walking distance is the top reason to stay here! Think of walking out your door right into the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and you get the idea of how close it is. Just remember to lock up your valuables for safety, as you should do in any hotel. I somehow "lost" my charger cord to my i-pad, but I didn't lose my i-pad!

And, now I can say it with conviction...I love NY!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PBL
Reviewed October 2, 2012

i needed a place in NYC for just one night which is near time square. Started to search the hotels in TS and they were crazy expensive, then found this one using google for 115$ per night(w/o tax). It suited my budget and i booked it. Its conveniently located near the 35th street . Its 1 minute walk to empire state and you see it from your window, also broadway/TS is hardly 10 minute walk. The rooms were very nice, little smaller on the size but guess what its NYC :D. Restrooms were all updated and clean, this is really what makes or breaks the deal. They have complimentary breakfast which was warm and fresh in the morning. If you have att connection there is no reason to pay 10$ for the wifi as you will get the free att hotspot wifi signal. Just next to it is Hilton garden inn and has same prices for the room. If you prefer that you can stay there also :D. I surely recommend this place.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Room Tip: near to empire state and time square, free att hot spot wireless connection if you have att cell phone service.