“Horrendous. Noise from street is ridiculous. Avoid room 201 at all costs”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-35th St/Empire State Bldg
Ranked #167 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Horrendous. Noise from street is ridiculous. Avoid room 201 at all costs”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The room I was in may as well have on the street for all the noise in my room on the second floor right above the street. Call the front desk at 1:45 am to complain and was told they couldn't do anything bc the hotel was full. How about soundproofing...haavy curtains? They've got to know this is a huge problem

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Chimover12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed September 20, 2012

First arrive last Saturday, early in the morning ~ 7am. Good service provided, they allowed us to leave our luggages there and claim them during check in, as we need to go for city excursion in the morning. Located next to the subway entrance, which makes it very convenience to travel around the city. Per ride USD 2.50, if you are a frequent user of the subway system, please purchase metro card as every USD 10 you purchase, you will get additional USD 0.70, and you will get 5 rides (Average 1 ride is 2.10 now) which is cheaper. If you are travelling in group of 4, maybe cab is better, but don't ride during traffic jams, the money you paid is to enjoy New York Traffic Jam. This hotel is good for Hilton members, utilized the points you accumulated to change for a free room. Internet is free, breakfast is provided. Beverages availables 24x7. The normal room not that spacious, but it doesn't matter since we haeded out in the morning, and came back late in the night... Walkway is very narrow.. best fit one person per time. Service good, we were greeted when arriving... and provided a lot of local information for us. Surroundings outside the hotel not very "Open". You are facing a "Wall" and a narrow street. Rubbish leaving unpleasent smell and watery remant on the street.. before it was clear up in the morning into the rubbish truck.

Room Tip: Choose lower rooms, lifts are slow.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I travel to NY about once a month and usually stay at hotels that were sold out during a recent stay. The Hampton was convenient to my meetings and offered government rate rooms.

Pluses: free wifi that was reasonably fast, full set of cable channels, free breakfast (which wasn't great but was convenient), staff were friendly

Minuses: tight corridors, slow elevators, small rooms, noisy AC, hot water took several minutes to arrive at the bathroom sink

One thing I found a bit disturbing is that the hotel made a big deal out of each room having fresh sheets on the guests first night. Are there reputable hotels where that's not the case?

This still will not be my primary hotel, but it will do in a pinch.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cminny
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Hi

This was my first visit to NYC, so wanted to stay in Manhattan I booked my reservation from Sept8-Sept10 at this hotel through hotels.com.

After my booking I called Hampton inn, about landing zone facility and nearest parking facility they could recommend. They said, they would let me know the address of the parking facility and put me on hold and never got back. I should have then and there cancelled. May be that was my mistake.

I was flying with my family from Buffalo to BWI and take a car, drive around DC and come to Manhattan by night. My flight was delayed and reached BWI at 3PM, and news reported Tornados in NYC and severe weather alert on I-95 stretch.

I contacted them through hotels.com and requested them if they could move the reservation to Sept9-Sept11. They mentioned that I had to lose all the money that I paid for Saturday 400$, and I had to pay another ~400$ for Monday's accommodation.

I understand under general cancellation policy they can charge, but under severe weather conditions if they do the same, they would lose customers.

They are pretty short sighted and thought they could charge me for Saturday's accommodation, even without stay, but with that, they didn't realize that they would lose a booked accommodation for Sunday and lose a good customer, and receive a terrible rating in trip advisor!

Infact, I cancelled my reservation and rebooked at Hampton Inn Times Square for Sept9,11, a better rated/ranked hotel for a better price, including parking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Suresh V
Coimbra, Portugal
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Location could not be better.Walking distance to Penn Station,Times Square,MSG,Rockefeller Center,etc. We walked even to High line, Chelsea Market and 9/11 Memorial.Many good restaurants close by.Rooms on the small side, but clean.Quiet inside but noisy from the outside ( maybe from the airconditioning of the next buildings). Good value for money considering that is NY and the hotel has free hi-fi and breakfast included. Computer in the lobby available for print.Small reception area, a little bit crowded sometimes.
Overall the Hotel serves your purpose but is not remarkable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank margarida
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2012

As a New Yorker who now lives in Chicago, I was a first time 'tourist' in my own hometown when I visited NYC Labor Day weekend (with my girlfriend who is from Chicago and had never been to NYC). We stayed at this Hampton Inn and it was TERRIFIC. I was VERY impressed. The rates were not-of-this-world considering the terrific location. The room was extremely clean and the water pressure in the shower was ideal. Those are two big things right? The breakfast was excellent and the selections were tasty. I can't say enough good things...When we come back we'll probably look right back at this Hampton Inn. NYC - that's my home and it's nice to know I have a great place to stay when I visit my hometown!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JGleemz
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

All of the staff was very friendly and helpful! Breakfast area was bigger than I expected but because not many hotels offer free breakfast it was always packed with guests. Breakfast was very good and changed every day. Rooms are small but that's what you get in NYC. Housekeeping was so nice and spoke good English. Hallways are very narrow. Great location-close to Times Square, Empire State Building, Madison Ave, 24 hour Subway restaurant around the corner. Room didn't have a fridge but I requested one and one was in the room upon arrival for no extra charge! Great experience overall-Highly recommended!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends