“Terrific hotel in NYC!”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-35th St/Empire State Bldg
Ranked #163 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 8, 2012

As a New Yorker who now lives in Chicago, I was a first time 'tourist' in my own hometown when I visited NYC Labor Day weekend (with my girlfriend who is from Chicago and had never been to NYC). We stayed at this Hampton Inn and it was TERRIFIC. I was VERY impressed. The rates were not-of-this-world considering the terrific location. The room was extremely clean and the water pressure in the shower was ideal. Those are two big things right? The breakfast was excellent and the selections were tasty. I can't say enough good things...When we come back we'll probably look right back at this Hampton Inn. NYC - that's my home and it's nice to know I have a great place to stay when I visit my hometown!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JGleemz
Write a ReviewReviews (2,236)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

All of the staff was very friendly and helpful! Breakfast area was bigger than I expected but because not many hotels offer free breakfast it was always packed with guests. Breakfast was very good and changed every day. Rooms are small but that's what you get in NYC. Housekeeping was so nice and spoke good English. Hallways are very narrow. Great location-close to Times Square, Empire State Building, Madison Ave, 24 hour Subway restaurant around the corner. Room didn't have a fridge but I requested one and one was in the room upon arrival for no extra charge! Great experience overall-Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The location was perfect. The subway was right acros the street. We were blocks from all of the excitement in Times Square, shopping (HUGE Macy's), and food. The room was comfortable and very clean. I thought it was a bit small. However I am told this is normal for NYC. There is free breakfast that was pretty decent. Eggs, sausage, cereals, pasties, coffee, juices, waffles, etc made up the typical menu. The staff was overall pleasant and helpful. Now the bad. When taking a shower in the evenings, the water would fluctuate between hot and scalding. My arm and feet were burned several times and my roommates complained of the same. In the morning, the water was lukewarm if you were lucky. They really need to fix this....this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. There are two elevators and they are extremely slow and stop at random floors although no buttons are pushed. I stayed on the 16th floor and one day after a long day of walking and touring, the elevator literally stopped on every floor. No buttons were pushed. No one else got on. Pretty frustrating, but overall a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CWilson37
Reviewed September 2, 2012

WOW .... this has to be just about the best located best value hotel in NYC.

Just a couple of blocks from Penn Station between 5th Ave and 6th Ave. A 2nd subway station 30 metres from hotel entry and a 3rd subway line 2 blocks in the opposite direction. Access to uptown and downtown trains is so easy as is access to Yankee Stadium and NY Mets Stadium.

Empire State Building just a short walk away.

My queen room on a lower floor was very clean and well maintained. I understand that most Manhattan rooms are small on a world scale and this was no exception but had everything I needed.

Daily breakfast was more than adequate along with a 24/7 coffee pot.

The staff were always friendly and helpful.

The lifts could be quite busy at times and I found it easier to just walk the stairs to my 2nd floor room.

Many many many restaurants of all shapes and sizes within easy reach and the shopping opportunities plentiful. Macy's is 1 block away.

I spent 6 nights in this hotel and will definitely be back next time I am in NYC.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Oldsk8r
Reviewed August 31, 2012

It is what it is, and it will be what it is: a hotel with everything a traveler on a budget needs: a clean room, a wonderful staff, an a decent breakfast. I spent from Sunday, August 19 afternoon of last week until Wednesday, August 22, afternoon of the same week with them. I was on a "mini-vacation" and my first visit to NYC. The staff was so friendly and efficient...even though I got a bit lost from Penn Station to the hotel...(that's not THEIR fault I'd never been to NYC!)...I also work in a much larger hotel, 405 rooms of full service in a smaller city, and after perspective of MY guests complaining about "small rooms"..I'd ask them if they'd ever been to NY? In the end, I had a WONDERFUL time in this hotel. Thanks to those that helped me have the vacation of a lifetime! OH: did I forget to say the room was very clean, I was very comfortable and felt safer in NYC than I do in my own hometown? I appreciated the hospitality and NY hospitality may even rival our own here in Savannah!

Room Tip: It is one block from the Empire State Building...so I'm sure those rooms are at a premium. The...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank savannahinnkeeper
Reviewed August 28, 2012

When you stay in Manhattan the most important traits of a hotel is cleanliness and subway entrance location. This hotel has both. Clean updated rooms. Subway only 1/4 block away. As with all NYC hotels rooms are small. Centrally located to all the sights. Free breakfast excellent. ( It amazes me when reviewers complain about something that is free). Only negatives which prevented a 5 star visit was the AC is very loud and even though not hotels fault, Korean restaurants next door on garbage day caused a foul fish smell out front which prevented us from sitting outside at the bistro tables to enjoy a drink at the end of the day. Will return here for MSG event next spring as it is very close. BTW got Hotwire price of only $119 the night before with a view of the Empire State bldg..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank salo41
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The hotel is smoothly run with friendly, helpful staff. Front desk staff were working so hard to make check-in as quick as possible for everyone, considering so many people were checking out when we arrived. This is a popular hotel so book early as service and amenities are so much better than expected of a Hampton. This was the BEST Hampton we've ever stayed at. All of the Day front desk staff were wonderful. But there was one b-class evening front desk gal who seemed lazy, only interested in herself, and not in helping hotel guests at all.

Our room was on a higher floor looking out to the street, the Empire State Bldg, and Macy's (it is worth the extra $ to face the street as you really feel like you're in NYC) and even with construction on the street(they were just working on a small section and are likely done by now), with the double-paned windows closed, you barely hear anything. The room, while not large, was spacious enough for NYC. It was renovated recently so the bedding was very new. The comforter was not lumpy like other Hamptons. The bathroom was very clean with a great shower. There were not many rooms to each floor so housekeeping was not noisy like we've experienced at other hotels where they yell across the floor while cleaning.

Considering this hotel was only $5 more dollars than the stingy old Courtyard Tremont in Boston(which did NOT provide breakfast) and included breakfast for up to 4 people as well as complimentary bottled water at the front desk if you ask, this hotel is the best bargain in NYC. The breakfast has a vast selection of food. The most choices of any Hampton I've been to across the country. And quite a few healthy options too. The breakfast room is modern, very clean, airy thanks to a covered "alfresco" section. But get down there early as it will fill up even on a weekday unless you don't mind waiting your turn to get items, and sharing tables with other parties.

For first time visitors, there are 2-3 subways stations within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. The Empire State Building, Penn Station are just a block away. Times Square is an easy 5-7 minute walk (it's safe to walk to at night, filled with tourists, and it's pretty all lit up) as are theaters. Grand Central and the Library is also an easy 10 minutes walk. If you are active you can walk to Central Park, and museums but you'll probably want to take the subway/bus back. To take the bus, you have to have exact change if you don't have a metro card(which we didn't yet due to jetlag), and the drivers are not nice about it at all - they were the only rude people we encountered this time.

This is the PERFECT hotel to stay at if you're going for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade or New Year's Eve since you won't have to walk far at all in the cold.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family