“Roof top bar not always available”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #59 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 14, 2010

One of the reasons we chose the ink48 in the gentrified Hell's Kitchen section was for the awesome rooftop bar (view better than shown on website). Upon checking in we were advised that the rooftop bar was closed for a private party Thursday thru Saturday/Sunday. The conceierge gave a list of other rooftop bars on Manhattan, none came close to ink48's. The hotel staff was exceptional! Our room window view included the intrepid Museum & Hudson River. Sooo many restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,294)

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel is fabulous! We stayed for 4 nights. The 1st 2 we spent in a deluxe city view. The room was on the corner and had views over the Hudson and on the other side we could see Times Square. We were upgraded to the Hudson Suite on our 3rd night. It was one of the nicest suites we've stayed in. Floor to ceiling windows looking right out over the Hudson. It was lovely waking up to the sun rising over the river each morning.
This was our 1st trip to NYC and we had heard the rooms are usually small. That wasnt the case with Ink 48, the rooms were spaceous and well layed out. The beds were huge and very comfy. The bathrooms are stocked with gorgeous Aveda toiletries. If you are staying in a regular room make sure you specify you want a bath tub. As our 1st room, despite it being a deluxe, only had a shower. I was 5 months pregnant when we took this trip and being able to soak in the tub after a long day sight seeing was essential to me. The bathroom in the Hudson suite was massive! The tub was huge and was so great to relax in.
The roof top bar was very popular. The views from up there were beautiful. I have to say though I was very dissappointed with their choice of non-alcoholic drinks and so we didnt spend much time there.
Although I didnt have tiem to use it the spa looked lovely. My husband used the gym most mornings and said it was well equipped.
I always think if the staff make you feel like you are getting extra special treatment then they are doing an excellent job. The staff at Ink 48 certainly made us feel special, they were great and really looked after us.
The hotel is dog friendly for those of you lucky enough to travel with their k9 friends.
We didnt eat breakfast at the hotel, instead every morning we walked down the street to the Market Diner. The breakfast in there was delicious, the service & prices were great too.
Some people think this hotel is located a bit too far out. We thought it was perfect. Even with me being pregnant we walked everywhere. Times square is only 15-20 mins from the hotel. We bought tickets for the hop on hop off buses which departed and dropped off at Times Sq so that was perfect was for us to get around. There are also tons of excellent places to eat on 9th Ave which is only 10 mins or so from the hotel. If you want to know where we ate private mail me.
We will definitely return to NYC and without hesitation will book Ink 48. We absolutely loved it!

1  Thank Pauline_1
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2010

Dear Pauline_1,

We really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on Ink48! I am so thrilled to hear that you were satisfied with your overall experience at the hotel. It's awesome that you got to stay in both a City View room and a Hudson River Suite in one visit! The Hudson Suites do offer breathtaking views and it's wonderful that you had the opportunity to witness them. I'm pleased to hear that your husband liked the fitness center and hopefully you'll have a chance to try out the Spa during your next visit! We hope to see you again soon and congratulations on your little bun in the oven!

Reviewed October 10, 2010

I traveled to NY for work a few weeks ago for a conference, and I ended up staying at Ink48. I had requested early check in since my flight would get me into NY around 2PM and check in wasnt until 3. When I arrived, there was a condescending employee behind the desk (I think her name tag said America!) who informed me that my room was not ready AND that the original room that I had booked was not available at all due to a leak in the roof. She took my cell phone number and told me she would call me as soon as the room that I was able to get was cleaned. 3PM comes and goes and I did not receive a call from her. I decide to go and find out what happened. I find out (from the same condescending employee) that my room STILL isnt cleaned - so not only will I not be getting early check in but Im not even able to check in at the normal time. She then suggests that I get something to eat at the hotel restaurant (nice scam right?) while I wait. I inform this woman named "America" that just came from the hotel restaurant and did not intend on going back there for another hour. So she said "OK" and walked into the back. When I finally have the chance to get to my room, I find that it is very clean, but extremely dark and small. There are very few lights, no room to sit at a desk to work on my computer, and the bathroom is so dim, that I couldnt possibly put on my makeup in there. The next morning, as Im leaving to go to the conference, I walk outside to hail a cab and find two of the door men sitting around chatting with each other. Neither one of them make a move to help me get a cab, so I do it myself. This repeats each morning for the remainder of my stay. The last thing that I want everyone reading this to be aware of is that the hotel is located in an industrial neighborhood amongst a car wash, a Toyota dealership, and an Acura Service Bay. This is not what I call a "perfect location" as some have indicated in their reviews. My advice, is find a better hotel in a better location for the same price that Ink48 charges.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
jbackus, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2010

Dear asha730,

Thank you for taking the time to write us and share the details of your stay. We take all of the feedback we receive to heart and hope to use it as a tool that will allow us to continually exceed our guest’s expectations. However, with that in mind I wanted to personally apologize for the areas in which we did not live up to your expectations. Staff friendliness is extremely important to me, and I completely understand your feelings on the location, as it is not for everyone, but hopefully provides our guests the chance to escape the chaos of Times Square and take a moment to catch a breath amidst the hustle and bustle of Manhattan. I would like to personally apologize for the shortcomings you faced and would be more than happy to serve as a direct point of contact for any future trips to NYC. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Jillian Backus
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2010

Myself and my girlfriend (who became my Fiancee on the first night) travelled to New York at the end of September for 5 nights.

I had researched the hotel on Trip Advisor beforehand and signed up for the Kimpton InTouch programme.

The experience exceeded our expectations and I'll start by saying what a wonderful experience.

From the greeting at the door, to the relaxed ambience at reception, to the great reception staff and concierge(s), we felt welcome from the first minute.

We got a great room on 14th floor with Manhattan City views, and the room is big for NYC standards, more than ample - basic room size is probably 1.5 times the size of a UK Premier Inn, but with fantastic modern styling, fittings and a fantastically comfy huge bed.

As it was a special trip for us, to be greeted with champagne and a New York cheescake in the room 30 minutes after arriving was a unique and special touch.

The bathroom is great too, and the whole hotel style oozes quality and attention to detail.

The free tea/coffee in the morning is an essential starter to a day pounding the streets of NYC and with free wine from 5pm-6pm, you also get a nice kick starter to your evening.

Staff were consistently friendly and helpful and never intrusive. EVERY member of staff was a credit to the Hotel.

As others say, you do have a 15 minute walk to 50th Street or 42nd Street stations but through nice, local neighbourhoods and having done it almost every day (I'll admit to one or two taxis), it is not a problem (only if you have a lot of shopping!)

The rooftop bar is terrific for views of the Hudson and the city and the loungers and seats are very comfy. Some nights it was booked for a function but you'll see why!!

We did not use the gym or spa but had a look in and it appears very spacious and professional.

Highly recommend this hotel and I have to thank the staff for a great experience. We love NYC!

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We arrived in NY to find the Hotel we had booked lost our booking and was very slow to help us find a new hotel. After standing around for over half an hour we logged on to the internet and found Ink48. We took a cab (we were drenched from walking to the first hotel from the train station). When we arrived at Ink48 they trested us like royalty. We got a room upgrade and that night at the complementary wine tasting we met the head of security. We had a fabulous view of NY from our room and the service continued to be excellent. The room was clean and quiet. Joining the Kimpton grou (free) gave us free internet access. The reccommendations fron the concierge about restaurants were also fabulous. All in all a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

Dear JJT2040,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of Ink48. I'm sorry to hear that your NYC trip didn't start out the way you wanted but I'm glad we were able to help make it better. I'm glad that you were pleased with our accommodations and took part in our nightly wine reception, as well as getting to know our staff. Now that you're part of our Kimpton InTouch Program, I hope we'll be welcoming you back in the near future!!

Reviewed October 7, 2010

What a great find! I stayed at the Ink48 for 5 days with my wife, having chosen the hotel after reading reviews on various hotels on Tripadvisor.
I believe this new hotel has been open for just about a year now. I found the staff to be very friendly and no request was too much of a problem. The room was spotless and the overall experience was excellent.
The views of the city at night from the roof top bar were amazing. The hotel is close to the Hudson, so you can see the river on one side, and a fantastic vista of the city from another. Don't forget your camera!
Location was perfect for me as I was attending an exhibition at the Jacob Javitts Centre, which is a 10-minute walk away, and for the wife the walk to Times Square/5th Avenue shops was no more than a 15-minute walk. One other plus is that because you are not in the epicentre of the city, it is much quieter at night when you finally want to get your head down.
Food in the hotel was pricey, and we found a typical American diner for breakfast just a couple of hundred yards away called the Market Diner (turn right as you leave the hotel)
For the price (New York Hotels are overpriced) I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night for our anniversary. I mentioned in my online reservation that it was our anniversary, and when we arrived they had champagne and strawberries, along with a very nice handwritten card waiting for us in the room. The hotel was beautiful! Rooftop bar and nice lounge. The room was very spacious with an unobstructed view of the Manhattan skyline. We loved it. The staff was so friendly and helpful...will definitely stay here again and recommend to friends!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear cjmanise,

Thank you for taking the time to review your last stay at Ink48! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we were delighted to have you celebrate your anniversary with us. I'm also glad that you liked the strawberries and champagne and got to experience our rooftop lounge. We hope to see you back here for your next anniversary!