“I would go back in a heartbeat!!”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #75 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria
“I would go back in a heartbeat!!”
Reviewed November 21, 2009

As for many of the other reviews here, I stayed at INK 48 mainly for the great rate. I stayed for 5 nights and had a great time!
I think that most people that have said that the hotel was out of the way..and this & that..need to research more of the area and NYC before booking there hotels. You have to know that when you go to NYC there is alot of walking involved. Personally, I love the Hells Kitchen area.
Also mentioned by many other people here, the service was amazing from the get go. From the Bell Staff and Front Desk. They were very friendly and went out of their was to help me with restuarant reccomendations and anything else that I needed. Kudos to all of them!
My room was on a lower level facing 11th and also right across from the futherest elevator. That is the only feedback for the hotel that I have, is the noise from the elevator that starts early in the morning and the whistle for the taxi's. This is not Kimpton's fault, but the fault of the builders that these areas were not sound proofed. It doesn't help that I am a light sleeper and I also chose not to say anything about it or asked to be moved, as it didn't bother me enough to say so.
The continental breakfast and afternoon wine service is a great add on. I was advised by the hotel that the restaurant onsite wouldn't be opened till at least mid december, which was fine for me. But they did give me a great option of the Market Diner which delivers 24/7 to the hotel. I ordered in several times and it was a great option if you didn't want to leave the hotel to eat.
All and all, it was a great experience here at INK 48 with a great room/bathroom and fantastic service from all of the staff.
Here are a couple fantastic reccomendations that were given to me for pre/post theatre dinners:

Becco- Italian
Room Service-Thai

I don't remember the exact locations, but they are in walking distance. I look forward to going back to INK 48 my next time in NYC, or trying one of the other Kimpton properties in NYC!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Polish first
melbourne, australia
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Wife and I stayed for 12 nights from Oct 7th onward, taking advantage of a very generous discount rate. Cannot speak highly enough of the quality of the accommodation, the excellent continental breakfast (free), the very welcome Happy Hour (free), and the friendly staff who tried so hard to meet everyone's expectations. Sure there were a few issues, mostly very minor in our case, but , "Hey folks", that's why it's called "rough draft", and why the special discount rates apply!

The hotel is situated on 11th Ave (between 48th & 49th), not in the heart of the tourist action, but with plenty of taxis available and a fairly frequent bus service operating along 49th & 50th. Very convenient! Not an over-abundance of eateries nearby, but sufficient to meet most needs. Pom Pom and Market are two nearby diners which are of excellent quality, and a greater selection of family and more upmarket fare are all within a couple of blocks.

Judging by the amount of building activity going on in Hell's Kitchen, it won't be too long before this "not so trendy area" becomes part of the mainstream of New York tourism. Enjoy the rates whle you can.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wolfie72
Washington State
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I chose this venue for a last minute leisure trip because I like Kimpton Hotels in general and they were offering heavily discounted rates online. I did read the website in detail about some of the current work in process services and gave the hotel credit for being upfront about this.
I booked a "City View" room which was supposed to have a soaking tub and a certain room size. I wanted these features because I was planning to have some in-room spa services (the spa is not yet open in the hotel itself).
Since I was arriving late, I called the hotel to make sure they would have my room available and was assured it would be no problem.
The hotel admittedly doesn't have much curb appeal or name recognition yet. Part of that is due to the scaffolding on the property and low-profile signage. Once you arrive, the reception from the front desk and bell personnel is very warm and down to earth. They made sure to hand out some material highlighting the services that weren't available (no restaurant, etc.) and how they were handling.
Now for some of the rough edges:

1. Valet parking is priced at $65/day even if you are only there an hour or two. There is no partial charge. This is something that should be made clear to unsuspecting guests.
2. I was given a smaller room without a soaking tub. This room was on a corner facing more towards an industrial garage area. While the view was nice enough, this also turned out to be a pretty noisy location in the early morning for trucks loading and unloading.

Once (1) and (2) were brought to the attention of the evening manager (Ray) he made an acceptable adjustment to the nightly room rate, since there were no other rooms available for me to upgrade to immediately.

3. I dropped off a dry cleaning item I wanted returned the next day right after I checked in. The next evening, it still had not arrived. Ray had to track it down personally and made several calls to keep me informed. Happy ending, but I was still charged for the service anyway. Other hotels might have comped this for the inconvenience.

Now on a positive note:

The in-room spa services (especially Alma the skin/masseuse expert) were great. Alma did not have much room to work with given the smaller size but still did a terrific job.

While the "continental breakfast" in the 4th floor lounge was not lavish (Marriott exec club lounges have a better quality spread) it was a convivial enough setting and I enjoyed having all the newspapers available to read.

I didn't try the wine reception but that seemed very popular during my stay.

The rooms are nicely decorated and comfortably furnished. Showers are HUGE with small sink/vanity - could have used a little balance there. Hallway interiors are darkly contemporary and could use a bit more lighting.

Every employee was friendly, helpful and courteous.

Taxis were plentiful and plenty of quick food options on 8th and 9th within a few blocks walk. For anything more luxurious, you probably need to cab it.

I think once the construction is complete to the restaurant and spa this will be a great option for those who want to avoid the heavy tourist traffic and traditional chains. I probably wouldn't pay the regular rates that are being quoted for these rooms under the current conditions, but the discount offers make it a lot more appealing.

South California
Reviewed November 20, 2009

just superb, new, spacious, wonderfully located, incredible staff, from management to bell desk and valet. they're still finishing the upper floors/deck, but keep disruption to a virtually unnoticeable minimum. even the construction guys you occasionally bump into in the elevator are nice! hard to imagine how even nicer it will be when the facilities/deck open on the top floor, and more common areas on the ground floor. but it's luxurious already. views east, to midtown and times square, west to the Hudson and Intrepid, north up 11th ave. all the way to Canada. treat yourself! special thanks to Osama and Vincent, and everybody else too for professional, personal, excellence.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Dear Traveler0991,
We appreciate the recent review of your stay at Ink48. We're thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable visit, and that you found the staff to be so helpful and friendly. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
Brea, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Just spent a night at the ink48 Kimpton hotel in NYC. I had to wait for a clean room for over 1.5 hrs in the lobby (even though it was past the normal check in time). The front desk was abrupt and not very hospitable. I have no complaints of the very stylish rooms. The suite I was checked into was very Hotel Palomar like with breathtaking views of the Hudson. Room service is dismal (to their credit, the restaurant is not open yet).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank reachdp
rozewalker
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The potential of this hotel is very nice but if you are staying there in the coming months, be aware that it is still very much a work-in-progress.

On the plus side, it is very nicely designed, beautiful, and very clean. As people have mentioned, the rooms are spacious and the bathroom is large. The windows are well insulated and you don't get much street noise at all.

Where it fell short:
The first few nights we were there, they were offering a full continental breakfast including yogurt, pastries, bagels with cream cheese and jam, granola, and juices. By the end of our stay, they had taken everything away from the menu except plain croissants with not even jam or butter. When we asked where the butter was, they said "there is butter in the croissant. We have changed our menu." They even took the toasters away! That was upsetting. So be aware that they no longer offer a breakfast, per se.

The drains in the sinks (we were in two separate rooms) didn't function well due to a design flaw. The ventilation/air condition system was absolutely bizarre and extremely loud. We were awakened on a few mornings at 7 AM by the sound of drills directly below our beds. Be aware as well that if you are traveling with older people, the walk to 11th Avenue is not as easy as you'd think. I used to live in NY so am used to walking, but for many people if you are in any kind of fragile condition, the location isn't ideal.

All this being said, it's a nice place but I'd never pay the full price to stay there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rozewalker
Dortmund
Reviewed November 14, 2009

When I have spent a three day trip in NY early November 09 I flew in JFK very early in the morning and my plan was to jump on to circle line boots tour at 10.00 to have a NY must-do; the Circle line tour. When I arrived at 9.00 in the hotel certainly I couldn´t check in but was told that they try to do by 2.00 pm. Ultimately I was happy to get my key card about 1.00 pm two hours earlier than standard. For sure, the rooms are big, very big for NY (I had a superior w/ City view directly to Time Square). The bathroom alone is the size of my former Bed Room in the Milford Plaza. Though, it is a 10 mins walk in a very safe neigherhood to the Milford Plaza which is very close to Times Square. On my way to Times Square I have stopped to a small Italien Bakery every time to have delicious Italien bred and dolci. This Bakery is only 2 mins from Ink48. I was very much suprised when I came back to the Hotel on Friday afternoon at 4.35 pm as there was no room service at that time. Unfortunately, house keeping jumped in after a 10sec. waiting time when I was taking a shower about 5.pm. That does not work. I do not expect a totaly cleaned up room every day but what I like is a fresh made bed when you come back after an exhausting NY shopping/sightseeing day. But what I am telling you. Next day Housekeeping came at 9. am when I was having....a shower (again) - I told you big, very big nice w/ sand brickwork shower. Still, this is my only complaint and I am telling you because I have liked the Hotel Managers reaction on it. When Rachel asked what she can do I have asked for a very late check out at 6. pm the day I leave and it was no problem for her. OK. All in all. I can recommend for a reasonable price. When I stay in SF I usually also take the Kimpton with the red brick wall in the harbour and this a reasonable priced. So I believe they will have the right pricing policy when the special opening bargains stop. Reasonable would be from my point of view and taking the distance to the hot spots into consideration aprox. 500$ max. I can not say anything to the Hotels amenities as I have spent most of the time when being in the Hotel....taking a shower.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple