“Great Hotel, but service is not polished”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #80 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Brea, CA
“Great Hotel, but service is not polished”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Just spent a night at the ink48 Kimpton hotel in NYC. I had to wait for a clean room for over 1.5 hrs in the lobby (even though it was past the normal check in time). The front desk was abrupt and not very hospitable. I have no complaints of the very stylish rooms. The suite I was checked into was very Hotel Palomar like with breathtaking views of the Hudson. Room service is dismal (to their credit, the restaurant is not open yet).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank reachdp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Polish first
rozewalker
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The potential of this hotel is very nice but if you are staying there in the coming months, be aware that it is still very much a work-in-progress.

On the plus side, it is very nicely designed, beautiful, and very clean. As people have mentioned, the rooms are spacious and the bathroom is large. The windows are well insulated and you don't get much street noise at all.

Where it fell short:
The first few nights we were there, they were offering a full continental breakfast including yogurt, pastries, bagels with cream cheese and jam, granola, and juices. By the end of our stay, they had taken everything away from the menu except plain croissants with not even jam or butter. When we asked where the butter was, they said "there is butter in the croissant. We have changed our menu." They even took the toasters away! That was upsetting. So be aware that they no longer offer a breakfast, per se.

The drains in the sinks (we were in two separate rooms) didn't function well due to a design flaw. The ventilation/air condition system was absolutely bizarre and extremely loud. We were awakened on a few mornings at 7 AM by the sound of drills directly below our beds. Be aware as well that if you are traveling with older people, the walk to 11th Avenue is not as easy as you'd think. I used to live in NY so am used to walking, but for many people if you are in any kind of fragile condition, the location isn't ideal.

All this being said, it's a nice place but I'd never pay the full price to stay there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rozewalker
Dortmund
Reviewed November 14, 2009

When I have spent a three day trip in NY early November 09 I flew in JFK very early in the morning and my plan was to jump on to circle line boots tour at 10.00 to have a NY must-do; the Circle line tour. When I arrived at 9.00 in the hotel certainly I couldn´t check in but was told that they try to do by 2.00 pm. Ultimately I was happy to get my key card about 1.00 pm two hours earlier than standard. For sure, the rooms are big, very big for NY (I had a superior w/ City view directly to Time Square). The bathroom alone is the size of my former Bed Room in the Milford Plaza. Though, it is a 10 mins walk in a very safe neigherhood to the Milford Plaza which is very close to Times Square. On my way to Times Square I have stopped to a small Italien Bakery every time to have delicious Italien bred and dolci. This Bakery is only 2 mins from Ink48. I was very much suprised when I came back to the Hotel on Friday afternoon at 4.35 pm as there was no room service at that time. Unfortunately, house keeping jumped in after a 10sec. waiting time when I was taking a shower about 5.pm. That does not work. I do not expect a totaly cleaned up room every day but what I like is a fresh made bed when you come back after an exhausting NY shopping/sightseeing day. But what I am telling you. Next day Housekeeping came at 9. am when I was having....a shower (again) - I told you big, very big nice w/ sand brickwork shower. Still, this is my only complaint and I am telling you because I have liked the Hotel Managers reaction on it. When Rachel asked what she can do I have asked for a very late check out at 6. pm the day I leave and it was no problem for her. OK. All in all. I can recommend for a reasonable price. When I stay in SF I usually also take the Kimpton with the red brick wall in the harbour and this a reasonable priced. So I believe they will have the right pricing policy when the special opening bargains stop. Reasonable would be from my point of view and taking the distance to the hot spots into consideration aprox. 500$ max. I can not say anything to the Hotels amenities as I have spent most of the time when being in the Hotel....taking a shower.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank iging64
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed November 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at INK48 for 7 nights (10/27-11/2) because of their soft opening rates, and were amazed at how helpful and accommodating the staff was to us. Our first room (12th floor) was bright (King deluxe), but when we could hear every word of our next-door neighbor's cellphone conversations, we were given a different room. We were moved down to the 9th floor, to a similar room (except we could see the cruise ships and the Hudson River), which was quiet (or maybe no one was in the room adjacent to ours).

When I needed a small fridge to store meds (and food), they happily supplied it.When it rained, there was an abundant supply of umbrellas. When I hurt my foot our last night, one of the staff volunteered to bring me an ice bucket full of ice. A free New York Times paper was delivered to our room each morning (but I had to remind the front desk, because one morning it didn't appear). I was able to access free wi-fi on my laptop without any trouble.

The fitness center wasn't open, yet - nor was the restaurant or rooftop bar, but they're both under construction and opening soon.

There was a complimentary breakfast, where plain Fage yogurt and fresh fruit for those of us who don't eat pastries, bagels, or croissants were offered. I used the free hot water to make instant oatmeal (which I brought with me). The free wine reception each evening pleased my husband - especially because he was encouraged to bring his wine glass to our room.

The front desk was unceasingly friendly. I mentioned needing directions to two places in SoHo - and they were printed out for me on the spot. When we asked for a room change, we weren't hassled or told there were no rooms available - we were told we'd be moved by the staff while we were out.

The location is a bit off-the-beaten-track - but there's a delicious Sullivan Street Bakery around the corner on 47th Street, as well as a nice walk to subways, the bus on 10th Avenue, Broadway, and restaurants on 9th Avenue. We walked everywhere and felt quite safe at night when we returned to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharron F
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2009
Dear slfWestHartford,
Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay with us at Ink48! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I'm happy to hear that the staff was so helpful and that they were able to accommodate your requests. We look forward to your next visit!
Moncton, NB
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We stayed at the Ink48 for our honeymoon at the end of October, first the staff was super friendly first look at the lobby the hotel looks beautiful!

Our room we were on the 14th floor and we had a nice city view which was amazing!! There was plenty of room for our luggage and walking around, I liked that there was a vanity so I could get ready while sitting down in front a mirrow and a place to put all my cosmetics...needs a but more lighting though. We had 2 sinks in the bathroom a big shower with a rain shower and a HUGE bathtub... which I believe leaked because one of the staff members cam knocking on our door almost as soon as I started draining it and asked if our tub had over flowed, apparently was leaking in the room downstairs :( I am assuming they fixed the problem since I took a couple more baths during the week and no one came to see us.So we found we got a wicked deal because we got the room on the rough draft promotion but don't think I would book the same room for $500 a night when normal rates come in play.

As for location, it was a nice 18 minute walk to time square and we walked along 49th/48th and 47th at night and we felt safer walking down 47th there was more lights and seemed to be more business than residental so less people outside on front steps and seemed to have more foot traffic. It was a $5 cab fair to time square then we would take the subway.... if you want to be close to everything this isn't the place but we enjoyed it as it was close enough and enjoyed the morning walk with a coffee.

We would not stay at this hotel again for the simple fact that we wouldn't pay $500 a night for a room that's it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Piedmont, California
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We stayed at the Ink 48 for 3 nights for the NYC Marathon. We paid the soft-opening rates ($190 for superior king city view). The hotel still had a few things in progress; including the restaurants and bar. Overall, it was a great stay. The rooms are VERY large by NYC standards. Plenty of room to move around, open suitcases, sit and read a book. The bathrooms are huge. Ours had a 2-person bathtub, separate shower and tons of floor space (guessing 12x15 size room). The room itself was very clean, modern and well appointed. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. We did not hear any noise from other rooms. Not sure I would pay more than $300 a night for this room, but excellent choice for the reduced rate we received. Near many restaurants too, but lacked easy access to subway.

Pros:
* Very clean
* Staff was wonderful (moved us and discounted $150 when bathtub filled too slowly)
* Rooms were HUGE!
* 2 long blocks from Restaurant Row (9th Ave)
* Excellent location for the NYC Marathon; few short blocks from the expo and a few short blocks from the finish line

Cons:
* Not near subway station. Was 4 long blocks from the nearest at 8th & 50th [biggest negative!!!]
* Regular rates are very pricey
* Views for the river rooms not really spectacular. City views are much better.
* Still a few things not done (restaurant, carpet runners at front desk were tripping hazards)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingThru
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Stayed at Ink 48 for four nights for a short business trip in early October. We booked a Junior suite, but changed rooms to a City View the second night. The staff was incredibly accommodating about our switch, and even showed us available rooms and their views and layouts so that we could choose which we liked best.

We are spoiled travellers and are accustomed to nice hotels. Any of the rooms in this hotel would be nice to stay in, but we're getting pickier in our old age. The problem with the junior suite, was that it was a riverview (I use that term loosely) room. The unfortunate layout of the Junior suite is such that the only window in the room is around a corner from where the bed is, and can't be seen from the bed, desk, or entry area. It is visible from the couch, but I never tend to use the couch in a suite. That being said, the room is well decorated, and well appointed, and I've had apartments that were smaller than the bathroom in that suite (seriously, big bathroom).

When they switched our room to a city view room on the 14th floor, it was a smaller room, but still a good size, andthe view was spectacular. Well worth the switch!

The location is deceptively close to things. I was concerned when I saw it on a map that it might be a haul to the theater district, etc. but it is a short walk. There are plenty of excellent restaurants near the hotel, as Hell's Kitchen has become quite the restaurant row.

Most importantly, the staff was gracious and helpful. They gladly dragged my picky self around to several rooms to select the one that I liked the best (when, really all of the rooms are quite nice) and even allowed my husband to print something off of his email on their printer behind the front desk. We'll definitely look here next time business takes us to New York.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business