“just ok”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“just ok”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We got an ok room with a limited view. Upgrades were pricey and as frequent kimpton stayer was not comped an upgrade. Not the best Kimpton in the city.Not in the nicest location and was not that cheap for a weekend either. The happy hour had ok wines, a rather busy spot right by the elevators so not a real cosy place to sit. The bar up top however was fantastic with great views- its not owned by hotel, so you cannot charge to your room.

Room Tip: i guess the suites are the way to go--
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tanya G
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Tgio,
Sorry we missed the mark on your recent stay with us. We are a little bit away from the hustle and bustle but not too far away. Glad you were able to enjoy the fantastic view of Press Lounge. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I've stayed here twice and have nothing bad to say about it... we arrived to complimentary wine. im allergic to feathers and they upgraded us to a hypoallergenic room. the staff was very helpful. the location isnt so close to everything which is kind of nice. the linens were clean which is important to me. and bathrooms were immaculate (i took a bath) all in all wonderufl experience AGAIN

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear alfur810,

Thank you for being a loyal guest. it does feel great to arrive somewhere to a glass of wine.I'll make sure to pass on tyour comments about the clealiness of the rooms and helpful staff. We love having a little distance(not too much) from busyness of the city.

Hope to see you soon!
Portsmouth
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I'm quite a harsh marker of places I stay and part of me could easily have given this hotel 5 out of 5.

Interior - Fabulous. From entry to exit, the hotel is gorgeous.
The Hudson Suite that I had was huge, with floor to ceiling glass which showed the famous old river in all it's magnificance.
The Bathroom was so big, it verged on decadent. The bath so deep you could float.
The service was excellent, always prompt and professional.
And it's a groovy place! The little touches which add personality are really nice. Even the free wine at 5pm was better than you would normally get at that sort of session.
Location - perfect. Away from the noise of the centre and with only a 10 minute walk required, it feels like a proper oasis away from the hysterical vibe that is Central Manhattan.

The view from the rooftop bar is spectacular and adding plentiful supplies of blankets to the area meant you never got cold - even in sub zero temperatures 16 floors up.

So - the odd few things which scored this place down.

They seem to have an odd commercial arrangement with the people who run the breakfast and top floor bar areas. As a default, you don't get a kettle or drinks making facility in your room. However, on request, a coffee maker was provided with pods for a days worth of coffee which were replenished on request. However, coffee makers do not boil the water enough for tea of any sort. And on my final morning, the coffee ran out. I went to the breakfast area and asked for some coffee as reception was rammed with check-outs. But rather than give me a caffetiere, because I was taking it to my room and because "they are not part of the hotel" I was given coffee in 2 take away cups and an attempt of sorts was made to charge me $10. Forget it. I went over the road, got better coffee for $3 and put it down to an error of judgement by the junior breakfast staffer. However, reception re-affirmed that they were an autonomous company and would not allow their coffee stuff to be taken away from the area. A particularly dump thing to be explaining to someone spending $350 a night. What was I going to do with it - smuggle a $10 caffetiere back to England?

Ditto odd commercial setup with the bar at the top of the hotel. No charging to rooms even though my room was just a few floors below. So I had to go back to my room to get my wallet even though I had settled into the evening with my friends.

Minor things of course, but when I gave feedback (on request) to the senior at reception at check out, he started on about "ever since 9/11".... at which point I stopped him to avoid a nonsense conversation starting up. I worked in NYC for over 2 years and the only thing which 9/11 did when it comes to charging drinks to your room, is give people with little influence to change things, a semi-plausible excuse to use.

Lastly, because it was such a special occasion, I tried to upgrade from the Hudson Suite to one of the 2 really expensive suites with a balcony. This proved virtually impossible as the chap answering emails (when he eventually did) was really aloof about the process to do this, the cost of doing so and the actual benefit of the other suite. Nothing of significance appears on line about these 2 suites - but they do exist!!

However, I'd recommend this place and would stay there again - perhaps on someone elses budget next time though!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WatfordPete,

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback! One of my favorite room types is a Hudson Suite. The views are just spectacular and the bathrooms are HUGE (almost another room in itself). I do agree with how great it is that we are not right in the center of all the electricity of the city. It is a nice walk to Times Square and a nice walk back to a little peace.
On the other hand, wish the experience with the restaurant/bar would have been a little different. We will do our best to communicate more on the operation.
Hope to see you soon!
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

It was our first trip to New York, our four son's treated us to five nights here for my wife's 50th Birthday.
Ink48 was a great Hotel well positioned and with easy walking distance of Time Square.
The room was very nice with a good view of the Hudson.
We would definitely recommend this Hotel we had a fantastic time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin C,

It sounds like your wife's 50th was fantastic and we are happy your sons choose us for such a special occasion. Thank you for the nice review and hope to see you again if you are ever in New York City again.
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

After 16 hours of travelling from Wales (UK) we arrived at the hotel, our first impressions were that the lobby and bar area were very modern and clean. The staff at reception were pleasant and quickly checked us in, we were however surprised with the 100 dollar per day deposit. The room was lovely, with a great view! We were however disappointed that we didn't have a bath in our room, as after the long journey travelling this was something we were very much looking forward to.

The staff at reception were very helpful in finding us somewhere lovely for Christmas lunch, and with any other questions we had about the city. The roof top bar is a must, the manager is absolutely lovely and views are amazing. The drinks however are extremely expensive for what you get, even compared to London prices. We paid $27 for two drinks in plastic cups.This did put us off staying for long and returning.

Our time in NewYork was amazing, and will be one we will never forget, as a few days into our trip we got engaged. My fiancée did mention this to staff, but we didn't receive anything in congratulations.

Our room door made noises throughout the night, and whenever you went to open it you got a small electric shock.

The hotel is in a great location being a small walk from everything, we only took the subway once!

All in all it was a nice hotel and would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sophie J,

Let me start by congratulating you from the Ink 48 family on your recent engagement. You definitely seemed to have had a wonderful Christmas.
Sorry to hear we missed the mark in some areas but great to hear that you had a good overall stay.

Hope to see you again if you are ever in the New York City area again!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We had 6 wonderful days at Ink48 over new year. It was incredible. Beautiful rooms, amazing views and the best service ever. The New Year's Eve party in the rooftop bar was brilliant and everyone was so friendly and helpful. We absolutely loved every minute and it made our holiday one we will remember forever.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Olimpia M, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Hello,

I am pleased to hear that you had a fantastic New Years Eve Party. No better place to have experience NYE then New York City. We will certainly share your feedback with the team at INK48 Hotel.

Have a wonderful day!
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I started staying at the Ink48 before it was even fully finished. I have stayed there every week since (4 years). From the doormen (Rob, Jose, Jesus, Stalin) to the queen of the reception (America) to Philippe the prince of Print Restaurant, this hotel is top drawer and personable. The rooms are spacious (for NYC) and the rooftop bar draws a great crowd.The lobby level bar is cozy. Insider tip -- the north-facing rooms on lower levels get more early morning truck noise. Finally, if you are a dog, or a dog lover, Ink48 is pooch friendly.

Room Tip: try a Hudson Suite overlooking the river, or one facing east over the city. Rooms on the north side...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hi SerialExoat,

Thanks for your continued loyalty to our hotel. We are so happy that you and your pooch frequently visit us and that you feel as though this is your home away from home. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

See you soon!