“Noisy but nice”

GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester, New York
“Noisy but nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Only stay here if noise is not an obstacle for a restful night. The service was very friendly, as it always is at a Kimpton property. The hotel is very out-of-the-way (unless you're going to a Daily Show taping or to something at the Javits Center), which might make you think it's quiet, but you'd be wrong. The elevators dinging is very loud, so rooms close to the bank of 4 elevators aren't that quiet, and the rooms farther away are closer to 11th avenue, where honking cars are an issue. If you're on the 48th street side, you're treated to the sound of FedEx trucks backing up into their shipping center. The room doors close with a loud bang. While there are nice views of the river because of low surrounding buildings, the downside is that traffic noise carries farther. The windows aren't soundproofed enough - on one night, there was a Verizon truck doing emergency road work and I could hear the thrumming of the generator despite setting the fan on high, running a white noise machine, AND using earplugs.

Room Tip: I was on the 8th floor. maybe higher floor rooms are quieter, but doubtful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear MaggieNeedlefish,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We are deeply sorry for the noise being an inconvenience during your stay. I have sent your review to all department managers in the hotel to see what we can do to make our rooms quieter so every one of our guests can receive a peaceful night.

Thank you and travel safely.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We arrived in New York just after Christmas and stayed for a week. The driver of our car, pre-arranged by Justin, was waiting for us and he guided us expertly through the airport to the waiting limo. But I hadn't ordered a limo ... "Upgrade compliments of the hotel" I was told. What a fabulous first impression.
The hotel is not in the central theatre district of Manhattan, it is over on 11th, a block or so past Hell's Kitchen. It took us approximately 15 minutes to walk to Times Square, during which time I never felt threatened or unsafe. If you prefer to take a cab, we never had trouble picking one up right outside the hotel.
Hotel staff were always friendly. Jason, the concierge, had a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of local restaurants and attractions. His advice was much valued. The wine hour in the evenings was appreciated, as was the coffee/tea/hot chocolate provided in the lobby in the morning. Given how cold New York can be during the winter months and the fact that there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, it would be a nice touch to make this available throughout the day, rather than stopping at around 9.00 am.
We ate breakfast several times in the restaurant and the food was delicious. Home made jam, delicious breads/pastries and super fresh eggs. The coffee was perfect; strong but not bitter.
We had a king bed room on the 8th floor, with a city view. In fact, with a Times Square view. Huge bathroom; twin washbasins, with a large bath (such a joy to get a big, deep bath as opposed to the tiny ones usually found in the USA!) and a separate, large rainfall type shower. The animal print bathrobes were soft and ample in size.
Our children (age 19 and 12) were in a twin room on the third floor, with no view, overlooking a side street. They had no bath, but a large shower. The beds in both rooms were extremely comfortable. Their room was definitely noisier at night than ours was, particularly as there was a nightclub across the street. However, it didn't seem to stop them from sleeping. Of course you could hear the noise of the city at night in both rooms. Police sirens don't only sound during the day. This would be the same in any large city.
We asked for ice to be sent to the room on a couple of occasions and never had an issue with it being delivered promptly and courteously. On the one occasion we ordered room service, admittedly at around 11.00 pm, it was disappointing that it took an hour to arrive. That's a long time to wait for a toasted sandwich, a cheese plate and some hot chocolate. Although room service is available 24 hours a day, after a certain time in the evening the menu is much more restricted and limited to sandwiches and lighter options.
The cocktail bar on the 16th floor has great views of the city but it was slightly irritating that as a guest in the hotel you had to return to the lobby to catch the dedicated elevator to the 16th floor rather than being able to go straight from the floor your bedroom was located on. Of course, you then had to do the same in reverse in order to return to your room. I also didn't understand why the drinks were served in plastic 'glasses'. Perhaps something to do with health and safety as this was, in effect, an outdoors terrace? It was also almost laughably dark in the bar. Maybe there was someone in there I was supposed to see! However, I was pleased that the barman was happy to make my cocktail of choice for me, despite it not being on the regular cocktail list.
All in all a great stay. A week in a hotel is not always easy, but Ink48 always felt good to return to at the end of a busy day of sightseeing. The rooms were kept spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and polite. The bottle of complimentary champagne for our anniversary went down well too ....

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are quieter. Try to avoid a room at the side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Purpledesk
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hello Purpledesk,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we greatly appreciated. I am very glad you and your family found the breakfast to be delicious. I also want to apologize for the hour wait time for your room service to arrive; I have passed along your feedback to my room service manager so we can improve our customer service.

We hope you and your family visit us again soon

clocoboogie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I had such a positive experience here. From check in to checkout. There was something wrong w/my shower and I called the front desk to send someone up. The tech was very friendly and fixed the problem. Also ordered room service (a mozzarella and prosciutto sandwich) which was amazing!

The room was very spacious, comfortable and modern. Even the next morning on my way to checkout I entered a crowded elevator w/hotel employees and ALL of them looked up to say good morning. Jus WOW!

The only downside is the location. Not much in walking distance but that's ok.

This place is a gem in midtown, Will definitely return!!

• Stayed January 2013
Hello Clocoboogie,

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is highly appreciated! I am very glad that you found the room to be comfortable to your needs and that you loved the mozzarella and prosciutto sandwich you ordered.

We hope you visit us again soon

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I travel for business and this is my favorite hotel in NY so far. The rooms vary (I've had smaller rooms, medium sized and then good sized rooms). I've had both Hudson view rooms and city facing rooms (both have their charms).

The beds in this hotel are extremely comfortable and the pillows are heavenly. My co-worker was also commenting about how comfortable her bed was and that she now wants to buy the same bed for her home.

The rooms are quiet. The room service is good and offers fresh ("farm to table") cuisine -which is great if you're a business traveler. It gets old to eat heavy greasy hotel food all the time. I stay at Kimpton properties because I know they'll have fresh & healthy options available.

The rooftop lounge is gorgeous -both summer & winter (heated). In all, it's a great experience. It's about a quick 10 minute walk to Times Square and there is a subway station a couple blocks away at 50th. In all, very convenient.

I have stayed in a number of NY hotels and this one is my favorite.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello Lives4Travel,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is an honor that Ink48 is your favorite hotel in New York! I am glad you loved the rooftop lounge; it does provide beautiful views of the Hudson River. We are also extremely happy you enjoyed the room; our goal is to make sure every room is comfortable for all our guests in order to make their stay as enjoyable as possible.

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for six nights for work; while the hotel was very conveniently located for the connection I was attending, I would advise visitors to be aware that this hotel does not have a ton of options in its immediate radius as far as dining and activities. That being said, it was a shortish walk to Times Square and Rockefeller Center and as far as dIning, I could have happily eaten in the hotel restaurant all day long. I had three meals and room service once during my stay and at all times was more than happy with the farm to table fare. Delicious.

The staff was remarkable in their friendliness. I was impressed how often an associate would stop and inquire about our stay- even a repairman in the elevator chatted with me for several minutes. I had flight issues and ended up with my flight cancelled on the night I was intended to depart. I called the hotel from the cab and they quickly rebooked me for an extra night with no issues. The room was kept very clean and is comfortable and bright with the expected amenities. I appreciated the touch of a hotel provided umbrella in my room and also the bench seating along the window that made the small space more useable.

The drawbacks: maybe location, depending on the purpose of your visit. And the room is certainly small, even by NY standards. I travel solo, but had my husband been with me...we might have felt cramped!

All in all, I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello Megan H,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated. It is fantastic that you enjoyed the room service and the restaurant during your stay. We strive to provide every guest that step into our hotel an excellent customer service experience and it is wonderful that you was very impressed with the customer service from our staff, I had made sure they heard about it!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are small, but it's what you expect being in Ny...
Very well decorated, very confortable beds, well located, good service and a nice rooftoop bar.
I thought it was a bit expensive... But again, it's NY!
I would stay there again and recommend it!

Hello MaGiannini

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the room and the rooftop lounge. Thank you for recommending our hotel to future travelers! We hope you visit us again soon.

Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Ink48. For a small amount we were able to upgrade to a corner room with great city and river views. The rooms are clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable and the linen of good quality. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The AC is sometimes a bit too loud and the stone floor in the bath room is pretty cold in winter time. Otherwise you get a good room for a reasonable amount. The roof top bar is terrific too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello RROesch,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is wonderful that you and your wife enjoyed the room and the rooftop lounge. We are constantly improving our service and amenities to better serve our guests and reviews such as yours help us reach our goal.

I hope you visit us again soon.