“Definitely not a 4 or 5 stars!”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #82 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Definitely not a 4 or 5 stars!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there last month and it was a bit of a disaster...rooms are very average. Our stunk of sewage we had problem with the toilet making noises at night ( ok it can happen) and despite we reported the problem to the staff, nothing was done a part from spraying air freshener in the room. As a result, the next night the toilet was flooded and we had to change room in the middle of the night!
As you may have understood the staff is not very helpful and friendly ( only one guy called Andres was nice and gave us nice advises to where to eat etc).
I reccomend not to have anything from the minibar as we payed a bottle of water 7.45$!!
The location is ok and the roof bar has a stunning view!!
Maybe if we go back it will be just for a drink at the bar to enjoy the beautiful New York!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank fedewaz
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello fedewaz,

I am so sorry to hear about the challenges you had during your stay. I have already passed along your feedback to all department heads so that we can correct the issues. It is through feedback such as yours that allows us to improve the service we strive to achieve.

Please reach out to us at contactus@ink48.com if and when your travels bring you back to New York. I would love for you to come and experience Ink48 the way it should be experienced, issue free.

Thank you for your time and travel safe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
  • Polish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

After living in NYC for 5+ years, I'm now back in town frequently for business trips. I typically stay in the midtown area and have branched out to some boutique hotels recently. But after staying at Kimpton properties in other cities (Salt Lake City and Denver) I decided to try Ink 48. I will disclose that signing up for Kimtpon InTouch (rewards program) helps a lot.

Unlike other properties you have access to the fitness center...for free. They offer both tea/coffee (mornings) and wine hour (5-6pm)...free. Wireless? Free for InTouch members.

Valet parking is a bit pricey ($55/day) but there are several garages within waking distance. We never had a problem getting a cab out front.

You're 2-3 blocks from amazing eats/scene in Hells Kitchen.

The staff is incredibly friendly and will go out of their way to wish you a good morning/afternoon/evening. Jason was an absolute gem in helping us find a good dinner spot (and he even arranged for one of the resident goldfish to be delivered to my friends room as her temp pet -- if you don't know what I'm referring to, you've never stayed at a Kimpton).

Housekeeping was spot on and our room was actually spacious! I mean, for an NYC hotel!

I have proclaimed this to be my new 'go to' hotel for any business/personal trips to the big apple for me, my clients and friends!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank BAMoose
BAMoose!

Love the review! We are so happy to hear we are your preferred hotel when you come to NYC. Yes being an InTouch member does help and is a great tip for future guests. Please give us a heads up when your travels bring you back to NYC so we can show the extra love!!

Just email contactus@ink48.com or concierge@ink48.com

Travel Safe!!
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

The beds here are very comfortable and the location on 48th and 11th ave make it close to Hells Kitchen as well as the Wesy Side Highway. The restaurant in the hotel is fabulous and the rooftop bar very unique for NYC. I stay here every year for the MS Ride which starts and ends at Pier 93/94. We keep our bikes in our room at night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Shaun B.

Thanks for the review! The beds here can be tough to get out of in the morning! We look forward to hosting you next year for the MS Ride if not sooner!

Travel Safe!
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 21, 2012

For a weekend trip to New York I decided to stay somewhere other than the usual Times Square area and decided to try out Ink48 in Hell's Kitchen--a great decision. The hotel was beautiful with excellent service. What really made it the perfect choice though was the room. I chose a Hudson River Suite and could not have been more satisfied--definitely worth the price. It had three "rooms"--a large bedroon area with a very large and comfortable bed with good lighting and a large tv, a living room area with a very comfortable couch, a desk with chair, and a comfortable chair, and a large bathroom between the two (with a hallway separating the bedroom and living room areas--no separate door; an opaque door closing off the bathroom. The bathroom was very large with 2 sinks, a separate shower and very large tub and a little nook with the toilet. The shower was very large with a rainforest shower-head but the star of the bathrrom was one of the largest tubs I've ever seen. Usually, I limit myself to showers but the tub was pretty inviting and I tried it out--it was great; had to force myself to get out to get to a show. The highlight of the suite, though was the incredible view. There are floor to ceiling windows along the entire length of the suite (except for a closet that is opposite the bathroom) and there were incredible views of the river. The hotel looked down on the Manhattan cruise terminal and the USS Intrepid (aircraft carrier museum). Beautiful views of the river and the city beyond the river--it really made for spectacular scenery both during the day and at night. (One downside is that although there are very effective shades to block out the sun, there are gaps between the shades to early morning light does get in.)

The location proved to be particularly convenient for going to the Jacbo Javits Convention Center, the Intrepid Museum, and the Manhattan cruise terminal (I would definitely stay here for a pre- or post-cruise stay) but it also turned out within easy walking distance of Times Square and the Theater District (which I found out when I had difficulty getting a cab after a Friday night show). About a 15-minute walk down streets that did not seem unsafe (always had some pedestrian or car traffic). The immediate area around the hotel did not have much in terms of restaurants, but there were quite a few a block or so toward mid-town.

One thing to watch out for is that the late-night (all day) menu is very limited and dinner service ends at 10:30 pm, so don't the mistake I did of waiting until after a show for a late night dinner (but I found a cheese plate and salad worked out okay). An earlier room service dinner I had the following night was fine--quick service and good food. Breakfast in the restaurant was also good. They have an afternoon wine reception (5:00 pm-6:00 pm), which I missed both days I stayed in the hotel, but it seems a nice amenity. I also missed on my chance to visit the bar that is supposed to have great views (it was closed one night for a private event, which is probably not that rare), but with the great views from my room I enjoyed a nice glass of wine from my room and enjoyed the views anyway.

The suite has two closets--a relatively small one across from the bathroom and another one in the entry hall (which I used to staff my coats). There are also very comfortable bathrobes for use (in fact I had already bought one from a prior stay at a Kimpton hotel in Baltimore--another hotel I enjoyed).

I drove to NYC and the hotel was pretty close to Lincoln Tunnel; parking is expensive ($55 a night--valet) but I found that it worked out well to just park the car and take cabs and walk to get around town.

This turned out to be a great hotel choice; beautiful room and what turned out to be a very nice location.

Room Tip: Hudson River Suite is a great choice if you want to make the most of the beautiful river views avai...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank flagfan
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
flagfan,

Thank you for your very thorough review of your stay. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit. I will be sure to forward your comments about our late night In Room Dinning menu to our F&B Manager as we are always looking for ways to improve.

Thanks again for the review!

Iceland
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I felt welcome and pampered from the first minute that I stepped in to this hotel!The view of the Hudson river was wonderful and after we left the bridal suite we got a view of the city center which is in a comfortable distance. The service at the hotel was excellent and the staff ensured that we were indeed to see and experience all the best that New York had to offer.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gilstun
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Gilstun,

Thanks for the kind words! We love reviews like this. I am glad you and your friends enjoyed your stay. Think of us when your travels bring you back this way!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Ink48, is a really nice modern hotel located on the the west side of mid-town Manhattan ( Hell's Kitchen). The rooms are spacious and everything is clean and trendy. The location is pretty good if you are going to see a Broadway Show. The service was very friendly and the welcome drink is a nice touch. The best part of this hotel is the rooftop bar. The Press Lounge is 5 STAR! What a view! It is a little pricey but you can't beat the feeling you get when you view the skyline unobstructed at night. We found Ink48 to be perfect for our "staycation" in NYC and would come back. If you are looking for nice size modern rooms at reasonable prices, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
gir7375,

I am thrilled that we were able to make your "staycation" an enjoyable one! When you are at Press lounge you really feel like you are on top of Manhattan!

Hope to see you soon!

West Sussex
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I visited Ink48 on a recent work trip along with a lot of other Kimpton Hotels in Boston and NY. I absolutely fell in love with the brand and would highly recommend to anyone. Each hotel is totally individual in style and I have to say I really liked each hotel that I saw. Ink is located about 3 blocks from Times Square in the Hells Kitchen neighbourhood, I didn't get to look arounf the surroundings but have been told that there are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from within walking distance of the hotel. The rooms at Ink are large and good sized bathrooms, however what really sets it apart from a location in times sq is the views, the rooms have floor to ceiling windows and the views over Manhatten are amazing, there is also a rooftop terrace where you will get some amazing shots of the skyline.
We ate at Print restaurant whilst we were there and the food was delicious, well worth a visit. There is also a fitness centre and a spa which is quite rare in NY. If you are visiting please make sure you joing the Kimpton In Touch loyalty programme as this is a free scheme that will give you added benefits at all Kimpton Hotels - free wifi is definitely a plus as it costs $15+ per day almost everywhere else.
If you like a quirky hotel thats a bit different give Ink 48 a go, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with city view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kdswestsussex
kdswestsussex,

Thanks for the reveiw and the helpful tips for future travelers! Thansk for being a fan of Kimpton and an InTouch member. Everyone of our hotels dose tell a different story and we love that fact!

Happy Travels!!