“Fantastic design, the rooftop terrace is amazing (but way too expensive!!)”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #68 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Had a 3 night stay in NY on our way down to Fort Lauderdale in Sept 2011. The hotel has fantastic contemporary design. Our room was very nicely decorated with a high ceiling and large window with views to the river and uptown. The bed was massive and very comfortable.

We liked the wine reception they had each evening, a nice touch.

The rooftop terrace is absolutely great. The views to the city are amazing and we loved the modern seating design and ornamental pool up there. However the drinks were extortionate and our white wine was served in a warm glass! This is inexcusable for a bar that potrayed itself with such distinction. We tried to call our server over to complain but she disappeared for about 20 mins. In fact the couple opposite had left their cheque for sometime and it blew away.

The hotel is located near the river, ideal to visit USS Intrepid which is right round the corner. It is a little walk into Times Square and the main restaurant area but we did walk it each evening.

Overall found New York way too expensive, everything cost so much money and we felt a bit ripped off especially compared to Fort Lauderdale when we got there. Some may say that is cities for you but I won't be returning in a hurry. Our hotel cost three times the ones in FL and they were as nice. I have nothing against this hotel it was very nice, this is a general comment on New York as a city.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Little_Les37,

Thank you for telling us all about your experience at Ink48! I'm thrilled to hear that you got to utilize our rooftop terrace and wine reception, and enjoyed our comfortable bedding. I'm sorry that our rooms and amenities did not fit in with your ideal price range but I hope you will consider staying with us again in your future travels!

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We had an amazing stay at Ink48! It was my first time in NYC and my husband's first time in the city where his visit didn't revolve around business meetings. The staff were friendly and helpful and really made our stay special. We were celebrating my birthday and were welcomed with a complimentary upgrade to a corner city view suite...and a delicious plate of sweets and champagne waiting in the room. I was a bit concerned about the location when we booked the room but was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to get to Times Square and the subway. It was just far enough away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to enjoy it all as well. Just a quick 10 minute walk to anything and everything and we never felt unsafe walking. Loved the unique restaurants in Hell's kitchen and were glad to have the options after seeing the assortment of chain restaurants in Times Square...we can eat Olive Garden and Red Lobster anywhere and really wanted to experience the fantastic food that NYC is known for. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed every minute of our stay and are already looking to stay at Ink48 again for Christmas!

Room Tip: Corner city view room was INCREDIBLE...two full walls of windows overlooking the NYC skyline.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was my first or second stay in a Kimpton property and I really like the brand's vibe. I think the closest analog is a slightly less irreverent Virgin. The reception area and hotel itself feature a calming blend of subdued hues and dark woods. The room I was given (#612) was spacious and overlooked 48th Street. Breakfast at Ink48's restaurant was tasty with friendly, efficient service. Kimpton offers free wifi for members of their loyalty program (free to join).

However, it wasn't all perfect! AVOID ROOM #612 AT ALL COSTS. In addition to overlooking a very noisy 48th Street, there is a constant whirring/drilling noise in the ceiling nearly all day long. It literally started at ~7am and ended at ~6pm. The front desk told me the noise was from elevator equipment in the ceiling and offered to switch rooms (I was going out for the evening and declined), but if you're planning to spend any time in the room be aware of this constant hum. I arrived from JFK at ~11pm and told that room service had all but shutdown for the night, the limited menu included a cold salad with oily dressing and a few other items.

The rooftop bar/lounge has incredible views of the Hudson and Lower Manhattan. Like room service, they don't serve food after 10pm (really??). The hotel is located near the Lincoln Tunnel, budget extra time to catch a cab during rush hour or a rainstorm, I waited for 20 mins before walking to 10th Ave through a downpour to find a cab.

Room Tip: Avoid room #612. Rooms above the rooftop bar (17th floor) have high ceilings but you can hear noise...
1  Thank JonnyHei
Ink48, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Dear JonnyHei,

Thank you for choosing o stay with us at the Ink48, a Kimpton Hotel. I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience you had to bear with the noise. I am working to get this resolved permanently and trying out new sound proofing technologies. Hope to have you back soon.

Victor

Reviewed October 29, 2011

I come to NYC for business a lot - I've tried out several hotels in the area and they're all glorified dumps - then I tried Ink48...and now I know where I'm staying from now on.

This place is super nice - big rooms (for Manhattan), nice amenities, quiet!, and tons of nice features like a spa, free happy hour, etc, etc.

The location is nice too - very easy to get to (especially if you're coming from EWR) and tons of restaurants and such nearby. A short walk to a bunch of the more touristy areas too if that's your thing.

Very impressed, thanks Ink48

1  Thank nnnick
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Dear Nnnick,

Hello and thank you for your review! I'm glad our hotel impressed you compared to other properties you've stayed at in NYC. We are thrilled to hear that you will be one of our return guests for business travel stays. We hope to continue providing top notch service and amenities each time you return to Ink48!

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Classic Kimpton. Friendly, cool, luxurious. The staff were terrific, esp. the woman at the front desk with the crazy hair. We had some very slight complications with amenities, and the food from room service wasn't top notch, but the room itself (a junior suite) was really nice. Huge tub, fantastic linens, very sleek and attractive design. My only real complaint is that it's not really near anything, even a Starbucks or other coffee shop. If you're willing to walk over to 9th Ave and the heart of Hell's Kitchen, it is of course lousy with great places, but those are just a little far, especially in less than perfect weather. But the location is, I suppose, why you can stay at a genuinely luxurious hotel in NYC for the prices they're charging.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Hudson River have a great view - right in front of the USS Intrepid
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Beautiful, modern hotel. Everything is beautifully decorated, crisp, and clean. Ralhan was able to get me checked in early to an incredible room with 15 foot floor to ceiling windows and an extraordinary view of the NYC skyline. Nice location and just a short, easy walk away from Times Square.

Dear Go12345,

Thank you for your kind words! I'm so happy you found our decor to be beautiful and enjoyed a city view room, in addition to our surroundings. Hopefully you will come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel is located in Midtown East. Two blocks and you are in Hell's Kitchen for great food. The location could not be better with a short walk to Times Square and the Theatre District. Ink 48 is a beautiful boutique hotel that offers a spa, fitness room, restaurant, and a great roof top bar with an amazing skyline view of the city. The rooms are spacious which is a luxury in NYC, and they will upgrade if available (as they did with us). Housekeeping is very nice and the rooms are spotless and comfortable. As for the staff, they are ALL accommodating, pleasant, and truly want you to enjoy your stay at Ink. Please see Jeffrey, Lead Concierge, for any advice, places to eat, or things to do in the city. It was my birthday and we returned to our room to find a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolate treats. I was so surprised. He is a gem! Jeffrey in engineering is a sweetheart and a lifesaver. He came to our rescue at 2:00AM. Also, I can not thank Gillian (asst. manager) enough who was also great us after a problem with our thermostat. I guarantee after your first stay, you will make this your regular hotel in NYC! All the staff made our stay memorable!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple