“Hip hotel within striking distance of top tourist spots”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #72 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 21, 2011

While away from the major noise and hustle of Times Square and surrounding streets this hotel is within 5-10 minutes walking distance. If you thought that would leave you without a view of high rise midtwon you would be wrong. I would estimate 1/3 of the hotel rooms to be looking east into central midtwon and with planning laws restricting building to 5 blocks looking east (for the next 4 blocks) you can get spectacular, views for not unreasonable prices at this hotel.

One of the major plus points and possible down points of this hotel is the roof top terrace which offers a simply stunning view of Manhattan. Its Achilles heel is that it is so upmarket and exclusive that it is intimating for the average hotel guest to enter. Althugh we enjoyed the terrace - it is definitely a plAce to put on some smart clothes and be prepared to pay $50 for a couple of drinks and small nibbles.

The rooms themselves are chic and fresh and I would much rather stay in Ink48 than pay the same price for a more well known hotel with more dated furnishing and much smaller rooms.

The service at the hotel was professional but no overly friendly - which is fine for what we needed. Restaurant road is also within 5 minutes, which was very useful.

I Would recommend this hotel for it's convenient location and value for money.

Room Tip: You want a room facing East and above 7th floor!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 20, 2011

I am a huge fan of Kimpton already and decided to book Ink48 for a quick trip to NYC with my 11 yr. old. When I realized how close we would be to the USS Intrepid, I requested a room overlooking it for my son's benefit. Not only did Jeffery Behrens - the Concierge Coordinator-deliver a fantastic room on the 11th floor, he came out to personally welcome us to the property. When we knew the Kimpton secret summer word, we were rewarded with a bottle of wine and a basket of goodies from concierge Ralhan Patel. Jeffery checked on us the next day to make sure we were enjoying our stay and to be sure we had found one other surprise he left for us. We did. It was awesome! Ralhan was friendly and helpful and greeted me by name when I came through the doors. Customer service at Ink48 is clearly a priority and exceeded my expectations.
We stayed in a Hudson River Suite. It was roomy and beautiful. We had views of the river AND the city! The bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a shower and a soaking tub. Everything was perfect!
Thank you for a wonderful stay! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Want a great room? Just ask!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Dear Rhymeswithhen,

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the room you stayed in and that you received a bottle of wine for knowing our secret summer word! We appreciate you taking the time to write about your Kimpton experiences and love the positive feedback! Hopefully you will join us again soon for another stay at Ink!

Reviewed June 20, 2011

I stayed here for the first time and was blown away by the property, service and overall stay. The hotel is new, modern and cozy. The location was ideal for my business trip and I had a lovely room overlooking the Hudson River. The staff certainly we out of their way to help out and to make me feel welcomed. The gym was great and I used it every day of my stay. I would definitely stay here again - no doubt. When a work trip feels like a vacation property, you can't go wrong.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Kate C
Reviewed June 17, 2011

After a recent 2 night stay (last week) my arms stated scratching and had red rash like inflammation. Have heard of bed bugs in NYC hotels before, but it's never come true at other hotels. It's a painful and terrible 'first' with the klimpton

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Jhantu
Ink48, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Dear Ms. Jhantu,

Thank you for reaching to us at the Ink48 Hotel, your comments are really important to us. We are a brand new hotel with absolutely no history of bed bugs.

Due to the sensitive nature of your claims, I would appreciate it if you can reach out to me directly via email or phone:
Direct Line: 646-572-7417
Email: victor.muoghalu@ink48.com

Regards,

Victor Muoghalu

Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed for business, got the junior suite. Despite being a bit far from the action on 11th ave (pretty far west) it is on 48th street.

Pros:
as a kimpton member, free internet access (wifi) + mini bar access
junior suite is amazing size
despite being far from center... its gets pretty busy, bar and rooftop
rooftop view is nice!
happy hour (free) wines and coffee/tea in mornings
bathroom is large plus bathtube and shower are separate
service is top notch, primary focus
very close to restaurant row, 9th ave
running trail near hudson river
comfortable, yet modern room
large views and windows
taxis are plentiful and wait outside (good for meetings/dinner events)

Cons:
near the cruise lines, boat whistles before and after departures
no coffee maker in room; offers free coffee delivery service??? never used
not really near metro line
lack of surrounding restaurants/coffee shop/shopping etc
near car dealerships
hotel food is ehh, ok

15 minute walk to time square area

Room Tip: sniqueaway for me... sign up for kimpton membershp
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tri N
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This review is for the staff of INK48, NYC and especially Nandi Barker. She has been more than accommodating when assisting me with the "where to go" and what to do" and has performed with grace and patience. I truly appreciate her efforts and highly recommend her for other avenues she may desire at the hotel (don't let her go).

The cake and champagne for my birthday were given with such sincerety that I could not avoid the delicious peanut-butter filling (even tho the waiter showed up at the door the same time I was arriving). That was the fun surprise.

Nandi did not forget our anniversary and am not sure which cake I like better! For some reason the anniversary champagne was the best; I think it was the view of the Intrepid!

My husband is now working in NYC and this is my second trip with him. I am a new person because of Nandi and I can't tell you enough how much she has helped me.

My thanks also to Victor (who I haven't met), Olga (for getting us great rooms), all the front desk people, the doormen, elevator opener, luggage retrievers, cab hailers, wine stewards, maids and dining room breakfast servers. I truly appreciate all of the service with kindness bestowed upon me.

I love the hotel breakfast and having the wine ready at 5 p.m. The beds are so comfortable. I am ready to return anytime.

Betty Kranz

Room Tip: View of the Hudson or view of the skyline.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sailaway78

Dear Sailaway78,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary getaway! We love to surprise and delight our guests whenever possible, but especially on special occasions such as this! I'm so glad that you were made to feel special and enjoyed the champagne and desserts. We hope you'll return!

Reviewed June 16, 2011

Once you walk into Ink48, you are immediately treated like royalty. The front desk was an absolute treat to talk to. Before we arrived, I sent a memo explaining my elaborate details of proposing to my girlfriend. The room we received upon check-in was the best of the best, penthouse suite over looking the Hudson River. The room was worth every penny. The floor to ceiling windows enhanced the breathtaking views. My girlfriend loved the duel shower that sprayed out scolding hot water with great pressure. The bed was so comfortable that it was hard to get up in the morning.

The balcony was the most amazing part of the whole trip. It was so amazing that I threw out all of my engagement plans and I proposed to my girlfriend on the balcony. With the sun setting, the city and the Hudson in the background, i couldn't have asked for a better setting for such a memorable event. It just happens that at that moment, a kimpton hotel staff member was working in the next room. He witnessed the whole proposal and met us in the hallway afterwards to comment on how beautiful it was. To our surprise, a bottle of champagne and a hand written note was waiting for us when we came back from dinner. It was such a kind gesture that reflects the tremendous hospitality that each kimpton staff member extent to each one of their guests. We plan on framing the note as a remembrance of that weekend.

A special thank you to Ink48 and the entire Kimpton Hotel staff as they helped made our engagement story truly, a magical story that we are so proud to tell everyone.

Room Tip: You will always get the best room!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple