“Great location. Friendly and helpful staff”

Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village
Ranked #321 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great location. Friendly and helpful staff”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Spent 4 nights in a comfortable room with a view onto wall. The entrance lobby looks a bit shabby and unwelcoming but the room and facilities were good. Best of all was the front desk staff, all of whom we're helpful and friendly. Took breakfast in the restaurant one morning and the food was good and service excellent.

Room Tip: Higher floor with a better view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Hello there,

Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We have recently (within the past week or so) made some improvements to our lobby entrance, removing some of the more worn furniture and inputting some new additions. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Excellent location – Friendly Staff! My sister and I stayed 11 nights at the Four Points Sheraton SoHo. The best customer services I have experienced in a VERY long time! A special thanks to Elliot and Brian who were extremely friendly and helpful during our stay. Everyone we came into contact with smiled and acknowledged our presence. The hotel is in a perfect location and is very reasonably priced. Whilst the rooms are not very big and the décor isn’t the prettiest – it’s a clean hotel and it’s central to everything! We were within close walking distance to many great restaurants and shops in Soho, and could easily walk to Greenwich, the meat packing district and Tribeca was just around the corner. There are 2 subways close by and it’s a quick train ride into time square.
For those looking for a reasonably priced hotel, great location and friendly staff I would definitely recommend staying here. We will be back!
Helen - Sydney Australia
Stayed June 2014

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff! They gave us a room upgrade after day 2
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen V
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello Helen,

We are delighted to hear you had such a great time with us. Brian and Eliot are certainly assets to our front office team and we will pass your kind words on to them. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to NYC!

Michael Weinstein
Ottawa
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Spent three nights here in July 2014. It is a nice hotel in a good location. Front staff was always helpful, had water bottles whenever we asked after returning from a busy day. We had the king room, view was not great but it I did not care. We were so tired when we got back we did not even look out the window. We left in the morning and came back at night, who really needs a view? And yes, the room is tiny...but you're in NYC, you should not be hanging out in your hotel room! Bathroom was always sparkling clean, water pressure in the shower was perfect.

Very convenient location. The number 1 subway line was a block away. We walked to the 911 Memorial, Broadway, and if you get the hop-on-hop-off bus, it drops you off on Broadway, about a 15 minute walk back. Street was quieter on the weekend (but the Starbucks around the corner was closed?!) Nice area with shops and little restaurants close by!

We found a nice bottle of Prosecco on ice in our room which was a nice surprise (a cork screw would have been helpful but front desk staff helped there!)

Air conditioning worked really well, we had humid weather and it was nice coming into the cool room and it was comfortable for sleeping. And speaking of sleeping, the bed was very comfortable.

No issues with wifi in our room, everything worked, TV, hair dryer, coffee maker, clock/iPod docking station.

I have no complaints about this property, I have stayed in far more expensive hotels, which could not hold a candle to this one. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a reasonable hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scorchen
Scorchen,

Thank you for the kind words. We're glad you enjoyed our NYC hospitality and found our location convenient. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the city!

Michael Weinstein
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Decent location to Soho. Rooms are New York average but they are comfortable. I went with my girl for 1 night before independence day and I spent a valuable time there, exept for one thing!!. 3 hours before our check out my girl and I, we decided to pay half day to stay longer there; when I spoke with the lady at the front desk she said that we can be there only until 4pm which was insane!!! They charged us $118 for half day and the only extra time that we were able to stayed there was 4 more hours!! This is insane, when I asked to the front desk agent she replied to me that the reason was because they wont have housekeeper available to clean the room after 4pm. Excuse me!!

I been booking in different hotels in my life and I never heard something like this and what is worse is the fact that is located at Soho!!! Come on, give me a break, one of the greatest neighborhoods in NYC and they dont have housekeeper on independence weekend?

On overall the property wasnt bad compared to some upscale hostels that we scoped before booked there. Also they offer free bottled water for free which is a nice gesture. But I would say that Customer Service is their issue!!! I also wrote en email complaning about how much they charged me for only 4 extra hours and its been 72 hours and I didnt heard from them either.

In summary, the property is nice and the rooms are ok; however some members from the front desk department didnt do well their homework of keep guest satisfied and incentivate them to return to this property.

For better or for worse for me, customer service is more important than Gold; I think I probably wouldnt return and either recommend it to my clients or friends.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, Alfred T.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time here in SoHo! We are very glad you had a nice trip to the city and apologize if there was any misunderstanding in regards to our check-out time. Our standard checkout is 12:00pm, which in most cases allows us ample time to prepare a room for arriving guests by the 3:00 pm check-in time. This check-out time is in-line with most other select service hotels in the area. We do offer complimentary luggage storage for our guests in the event you arrive early or need to stay in the city a bit longer.

Our front desk staff was correct in advising you of our check-out policy of one-half-night's rate to 4:00pm and a full night's rate any time thereafter. This policy is not related to housekeeping staffing, but is more tied to our 3:00pm check-in time and steadily high occupancy. On a night where we are fully committed (every room will be occupied) our responsibility to arriving guests is to have a clean room ready upon arrival. For most of our guests, arrival time will be by 3:00pm or shortly thereafter.

We apologize if you perceived our policy as lacking in customer-service and will look into ways we can better explain the policy to our guests. Again, in the event you need to stay and enjoy our area beyond the 12:00pm check-out time, we will always be more than happy to hold your luggage at no cost until you are ready to depart.

If there is anything else we can do to accommodate you on a future stay, please do not hesitate to reach out to our front desk team.
Boston
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I was excited for the hotel because of the price and location, but this was a horrible stay. When I first arrived at my room at around 9pm, it had an overwhelming smell of body odor. I thought I'd give it a while to see if it would disappear or if I'd get used to it (even tried airing it out with the windows on 90 degree weather) but it persisted for the few hours I ended up staying. The walls are PAPER THIN. I could hear the details of every conversation the men in the room next door were having (one liked to whistle). I had an early flight in the morning and really wanted to sleep so I called downstairs to see if I could switch rooms. The person who answered the phone said no but offered that I could come downstairs to get a pair of earplugs (as an experienced traveler I always bring my own, also I had already changed clothing). He offered to call the room to tell them that the walls are extremely thin but he never did (I could hear every word that was said). I turned on the AC, which as other posts have noted is disruptively loud (no joke) and finally fell asleep only to be awoken at 3am by a loud buzzing sound that made my entire room shake. At first I thought it was some type of fire alarm (sounded like an air raid). But after going into the hall, I discovered it was coming from directly behind my bathroom wall. I called downstairs to inquire about the noise and they simply thanked me for letting them know. I ended up checking out at 330 am because waiting at la Guardia was more comfortable. The elevator had a strong smell of natural gas. The night manager said sorry and offered to hail a taxi for me when he got off the phone but I simply left.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank wanderlustbeantown
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property as your first Trip Advisor review and let us know the challenges you ran into on your recent stay.

As a guest at our property, you should certainly expect an odor-free, quiet room. As a high-occupancy property, we are sometimes unable to provide a room-move later in the evening due to there being no vacant rooms. In this case, we believe the front desk agent was merely attempting to think "outside-the-box" when offering ear plugs, and apologize if this came off as offensive.

We apologize this stay did not meet your expectations and do hope to see you again. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay perfect, please do not hesitate to reach out to our front desk staff prior to arrival.
Galloway, New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed here for a few days.
Free water, coffee, happy hour on Wednesdays. Good location with heart of Village within walking distance.
Rooms are small, but it's NYC. I was alone on business so did not bother me.
Rooms were clean, which is important and service was good.
Staff friendly.

Restaurant attached I did not experience but had a drink at small bar.

Good value for what it is.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Best Brews event and appreciate the kind words you had for our staff.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to NYC!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Looks like I've reviewed this hotel twice already (great reviews) and I've probably stayed here about half a dozen times over the last 5 years. Sadly, I think this will be my last.

Nothing particularly 'wrong' happened on this visit - it's just that nothing was particularly great. I find this hotel is pretty average, a pretty bare bones product and the rooms are just tiny. TINY! I know this is typical for New York rooms - smaller than other cities but I really felt that I had it this time. My room also looked straight out at a brick wall.

I really don't find any compelling reason to stay here except for the location - close to Broadway and my office but I am going to try elsewhere for next time - Marriot Courtyard nearby and some newer hotels around the corner on Hudson. I paid about $350 per night which is expensive and I really felt I didn't get a whole lot. Bathrom is tired but otherwise clean.

Staff were nice but I could really have done without their unprofessional conversation about how shocked they all were that someone had just gotten fired. The whole lobby was privy to their conversation and all work had to stop in order for this gossip to be shared. Nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on your third visit. We are glad you chose to stay with us again and apologize this trip fell short of your expectations.

It sounds like you were in a traditional king room, our starting room which is roughly 180 sq. ft. with a king bed on lower floors. As per the nature of being on lower floors, some of the rooms do have obstructed views. Our property does offer the option to book city view rooms should that be your preference.

In response to our rate at the time you booked, it looks like your last trips were in February and September of previous years. Our rates are based on availability and demand in the Manhattan area, so typically rates will be a bit higher during peak demand seasons such as summer, winter holidays, fashion week, etc. Special events and seasons are something to keep in mind when planning a trip to NYC for rate-sensitive guests.

We agree it is absolutely inappropriate and unprofessional for staff to discuss workplace or personal gossip in front of our guests. We take your comments very seriously and have directed them to the front desk management team.

While your last stay may not have been up to expectations, please be assured we take your comments very seriously and will work to resolve any missed opportunities we had to make this a perfect experience. We hope to see you again on your next trip to NYC.